Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Eric Bitz aka BuyNiceCards implicated in possible large scale trimming operation

Reposting this...

<blockquote class="UserQuote"><div class="QuoteAuthor"><a href="/profile/" rel="nofollow"></a> said:</div><div class="QuoteText"><p>

Unfortunately, I am passing this information as a concerned and disgusted member of the 'hobby,' as one of the largest players in the game has shown himself to have dirty hands.

This is a long standing thread over on the BO forums flooded with information (mods, I'm unsure if external links are allowed, if not please let me know). But I feel it's in the best interest of everyone, whether former or perspective customers of his, to be aware of this very shady string of behavior.

I shall paraphrase as best I can, as the thread is nearing nearly 100 pages despite being only under a month old.

I will stress that we do NOT know if Eric himself did the trimming on the 2003 Lebron James Exquisite RPA. But what we do know is that he used a third party to speak on his behalf, and told a boldface lie as to when he purchased the card and how he acquired it. His story and timeline was later exposed by a very thorough South Korean member who maintained the most extensive picture database of LBJ Exquisites for over a decade.

So we can say with not the least bit of uncertainty that Eric AT LEAST knew that the card was trimmed, as it was altered and graded while in his possession. We do not know if he himself did the trimming, or passed it off to a third party.

Summary courtesy of stellar member AbraCalabro:

[hr]
Additionally, we have found a Kobe Bryant in his possession that was CLEARLY trimmed and purchased in a previous auction with stated chipping damage that had magically disappeared.

Also attaching the pics of the trimmed 2003 Lebron James Exquisite RPA BGS 9.5 #87/99 that will forever be attached to the name Eric Bitz and the buynicecards brand.

[IMG]http://i68.tinypic.com/fapjli.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i63.tinypic.com/vre9vk.jpg[/IMG]

I urge everyone to spread the word, as this is massive fraudulent activity. And anyone that has done business with Eric Bitz and/or BuyNiceCards to inspect any of their previous purchases carefully. Especially if you're still within the buyer protection timeframe.

Any added information or stories are welcome. We're currently working to dig up any more questionable stuff in his inventory and sold listings.

Thanks for reading.

Comments

• Could not copy all the info, so below is the link to it all,

https://www.beckett.com/forums/thread-1613224.html

Full thread here
    https://www.blowoutforums.com/showthread.php?t=1255123

• craig44craig44 Posts: 10,393 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have been following that thread. Pretty ugly stuff

George Brett, Bobby Orr and Terry Bradshaw.

• HighGradeLegendsHighGradeLegends Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭✭

Welcome to the board. Did you post this to inform or because you don't like this guy?

A bit of advice...Beware of "Trial by internet" or "trial by twitter." They rarely get it right and there is always more to the story.

If this person is really dedrauding people on items with hundreds of thousands of dollars, the victims should call the police...as it would be an easy wire fraud case.

• Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cards don't miraculously lose chipped edges. This reminds me of the Brady that was missing part of his cleat.

In 2010 I would have been shocked and saddened to learn this. In 2018 I am cynical and realize a ton of cards have been worked on and not just at high dollar values.

The T -206 auto debacle is the one that is a little more eye opening. I feel bad for the guy with the website dedicated to them that got totally duped. That is the stuff that hurts.

Many investor types don't care if the card is altered and are buying the number on the slab and treating it like a commodity. In this case ignorance is bliss.

• slum22slum22 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 23, 2018 8:30PM

@HighGradeLegends said:
    Welcome to the board. Did you post this to inform or because you don't like this guy?

A bit of advice...Beware of "Trial by internet" or "trial by twitter." They rarely get it right and there is always more to the story.

If this person is really dedrauding people on items with hundreds of thousands of dollars, the victims should call the police...as it would be an easy wire fraud case.

With all due respect, this is a terrible take. Thanks to @Tanana for sharing this information on here. I have been following this thread closely over on the other site and it is pretty clear this is not some internet witch hunt. There is seriously a mountain of evidence that this seller has been actively defrauding people for years. I have no relationship to the seller in question, I have never bought cards from him or sold cards to him. I have seen his listings on eBay and that is about it. There is virtually no way an unbiased person can read that thread and come out thinking that the seller in question is innocent of some sort of wrongdoing. Whether it is an error or commission or omission he is the seller of what seems to be a vast multitude of altered cards.

Steve
  • erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,099 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've been following the BO thread since the beginning and this is definitely not a witch hunt. There is way too much evidence to this point proving that very very expensive cards were getting trimmed repeatedly then landing better grades.
    If someone here has purchased from him before I would definitely start double & triple checking those cards for any alterations.

edited December 24, 2018 6:50AM

@han_soto said:

@Dpeck100 said:

The T -206 auto debacle is the one that is a little more eye opening. I feel bad for the guy with the website dedicated to them that got totally duped. That is the stuff that hurts.

And I believe you are referring to Brent. I am letting the dust settle and havent reached out personally just yet, but I know this was his particular niche in the collecting world and from what others have told me is going thru just about every emotion one could go through considering. I couldnt even imagine and my most sincere thoughts and wishes go out to him. He’s a great guy and I just hope something like this doesnt make him throw in the proverbial towel on collecting.

Yes. That thread is probably the worst fraud case I have ever seen related to cards. There have been plenty over the years that are one off scenarios but that is an entire genre that went up in smoke. The toughest part is that collector was an expert and spent what you could tell was a great deal of time following and collecting the area and had almost an arrogance in his posts all to find out they are basically all fake. What we are learning is that you almost have to have a suspension of disbelief when collecting items that just don't seem possible because many aren't. I can't imagine what he is going through and I feel for him because the amount of joy and excitement he must have felt tracking down key pieces was incredible and now he is faced with the fact they aren't and there will be obvious financial repercussions too.

I have been told that in comic books there are several ways that books are doctored that the grading companies have said they simply can't detect. One is pressing. I know for fact that many cards have been pressed and had poor corners turn into sharp corners and that may too be something card grading companies simply can't detect. I have read about soaking and bleaching and once again this too may be nearly impossible to detect. Sheet cut cards have been discussed frequently and I think that is another area that may be difficult to tell on many sets. If you have a set that from the factory has four square edges I don't see how you can tell if the card measures. On the flip side if you take the 1961 Fleer Basketball the upper edge is usually cut with a lip to it so a factory cut should be fairly easy to determine. The Wrestling All Stars that I collect both the 82 A and B all look trimmed out of packs. Both sides bow in a little and if the side edges are totally straight it is not a factory cut. These type of cuts probably take time for grading companies to document and use on a consistent basis. Every 2004 Sweet Spot Brock Lesnar looks like the top was chopped off with an almost jagged cut. I opened a box from the series and so does every card. Upper Deck must have been using a dull blade when producing and once more things like this must be known when grading cards.

We have entered an age where the fraudsters continue to get better and better so us collectors must balance our desires to get our collectibles back faster and allow the authentication companies more time and more expense to do their job the best they can. This is a tough balancing act and when experts continue to get beat by the cheaters it makes things very difficult.

• jfkheatjfkheat Posts: 2,721 ✭✭✭✭✭

I remember a thread on here a few years ago about a high dollar Michael Jordan insert card that was found to be trimmed and regraded. Is that Jordan in any way related to this?
    James

• PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,680 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Dpeck100 - The kinds of things you mention above drive home a fact that has always seemed problematic to me. We have one grading company dealing with cards of every different issue. There is no way PSA can be as expert as you are about 1982/3 Wrestling or as expert as I am about Wacky Packages. It’s just not really realistic to function as a certifying authority on every card issue ever created.

• softparadesoftparade Posts: 9,267 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wherever money is, fraud follows. No matter what it is. The dark side of human nature.

ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw 3, 100, 103, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ISO 1978 O-Pee-Chee in NM-MT High Grade Raw12, 21, 29, 38, 49, 65, 69, 73, 74, 81, 95, 100, 104, 110, 115, 122, 132, 133, 135, 140, 142, 151, 153, 155, 160, 161, 167, 168, 172, 179, 181, 196, 200, 204, 210, 224, 231, 240

• softparadesoftparade Posts: 9,267 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PaulMaul said:
    @Dpeck100 - The kinds of things you mention above drive home a fact that has always seemed problematic to me. We have one grading company dealing with cards of every different issue. There is no way PSA can be as expert as you are about 1982/3 Wrestling or as expert as I am about Wacky Packages. It’s just not really realistic to function as a certifying authority on every card issue ever created.

I'm pretty tunnel visioned in what I collect graded so not in tune with the broad spectrum but it seems PSA has avoided much of the recent scandal activity?

ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw 3, 100, 103, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ISO 1978 O-Pee-Chee in NM-MT High Grade Raw12, 21, 29, 38, 49, 65, 69, 73, 74, 81, 95, 100, 104, 110, 115, 122, 132, 133, 135, 140, 142, 151, 153, 155, 160, 161, 167, 168, 172, 179, 181, 196, 200, 204, 210, 224, 231, 240

@softparade said:

@PaulMaul said:

I'm pretty tunnel visioned in what I collect graded so not in tune with the broad spectrum but it seems PSA has avoided much of the recent scandal activity?

Yes.

The lion share of the cards so far presented in that thread are JSA and SGC but there was one major card by the old regime of PSA/DNA and the new regime deemed it bad from what I read.

Thankfully the internet exists and photos can be retrieved and it is makes it much easier to come to a reasonable conclusion with photo proof. I hope someone goes to jail and is made an example of from that heist.

There was a very similar huge scandal in 2005 with CGC having certified as unrestored a host of micro-trimmed comics. A high profile and respected dealer was implicated and it was very ugly.

• brendanb438brendanb438 Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭

Yeah knowing way more about comics and some folks who do high end restoration in that community that is disclosed (but also some things like pressing/cleaning which is acceptable in the comic world now shockingly) I am not at all shocked this happens with high end sports cards. The Micro-trimming w/ CGC was a huge scandal which it was good that CGC stepped up to the plate to tackle the problem once it was figured out. The thing is as tech advances I am sure micro trimming has also advanced quite a bit and is back to being undetectable by grading companies. Really the only way to combat that type of alteration to a card/comic is like how they have been over on the other boards with having before and after pics. This works well with cards that have a serial # but just imagine what is happening with other high end cards that are not serial numbered.

edited December 24, 2018 11:43AM

@slum22 said:

@HighGradeLegends said:

There is seriously a mountain of evidence that this seller has been actively defrauding people for years.

Ok, then the people being defrauded need to go to the police, provide evidence, and start a case. Likely this is wire fraud across state lines, so triggering a Federal investigation. If proven true in a court of law, the accused can do laundry with Mastro in prison...and set an example for other criminals in the hobby that this kinda stuff will not be tolerated by the community. Creating awareness of the fraud risk in our community is one thing, but to claim someone is absolutely guilty of a high fraud crime without a day in court is another.

• rcmb3220rcmb3220 Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭✭

@HighGradeLegends said:

@slum22 said:

@HighGradeLegends said:

There is seriously a mountain of evidence that this seller has been actively defrauding people for years.

Ok, then the people being defrauded need to go to the police, provide evidence, and start a case. Likely this is wire fraud across state lines, so triggering a Federal investigation. If proven true in a court of law, the accused can do laundry with Mastro in prison...and set an example for other criminals in the hobby that this kinda stuff will not be tolerated by the community. Creating awareness of the fraud risk in our community is one thing, but to claim someone is absolutely guilty of a high fraud crime without a day in court is another.

People are allowed to have their opinions based on overwhelming evidence. It’s not like we’re in the jury pool.

• galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,113 ✭✭✭✭✭

unscrupulous asshats such as this are slowly but surely destroying the hobby

sure wish i could type out what i truly think the punishment should be

• MrHockeyMrHockey Posts: 555 ✭✭✭

In no way is the takeaway from the T206 thread “they’re basically all fake”.

That’s pretty sloppy.

@MrHockey said:
    In no way is the takeaway from the T206 thread “they’re basically all fake”.

That’s pretty sloppy.

I have read the thread from start to finish and rare card after rare card after rare card that has surfaced is being deemed fake. There are loads more I would bet that will fall into the same category. Perhaps a better term would be multitude or a huge number. I would imagine there are some real ones that do exist so all is probably not the best word choice. This particular collector follows every sale so much of what he believed to be truth is now completey in question. This has to have a significant impact on that market because there appears to have been many skeptics of their legitimacy to begin with and now those skeptical views are playing out.

When we were kids we would go to a church potluck dinner hoping to get some fried chicken. You might walk up to the bucket and there were a few legs left and say who ate all of the chicken? There were a few pieces left but not the good ones. This is my interpretation of what has happened here. The entire thesis for the market has come chrashing down.

• 1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is all so sad.

I don’t collect autographs because I went through this as a kid growing up. The Feds showed up and busted a guys store who was selling phonie autographed items (Photos, balls, cards) and while I had only ever bought packs from him, a huge impression was made on me: everything looked good and he was just a talented and artistic forger and it was too hard to tell...

...so unless I got it myself from the signer (been 25 plus years since I asked anyone) I never had the stomach for it.

But even as a card collector, you never like to hear this fraudulent activity going on. I try to get greater assurance by submitting what I collect myself; and I understand there’s going to be human error there, too, but once again PSA seems to be coming out on top again as ‘least victimized’ TPG.

No surprise there.

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• LOTSOSLOTSOS Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭✭✭

@1951WheatiesPremium said:

But even as a card collector, you never like to hear this fraudulent activity going on. I try to get greater assurance by submitting what I collect myself; and I understand there’s going to be human error there, too, but once again PSA seems to be coming out on top again as ‘least victimized’ TPG.

No surprise there.

Agreed. Here’s another trimming TPG SNAFU. It was discussed on another board a little while ago. It’s a Connor McDavid HG /10 that was subbed to BGS recieved a 9 with 8.5 for edges. It had a bad upper edge that was removed.

Kevin

@LOTSOS said:

@1951WheatiesPremium said:

No surprise there.

Agreed. Here’s another trimming TPG SNAFU. It was discussed on another board a little while ago. It’s a Connor McDavid HG /10 that was subbed to BGS recieved a 9 with 8.5 for edges. It had a bad upper edge that was removed.

irony...the slogan above the trimmed area on the back reads: "the world's most trusted source in collecting."

• SdubSdub Posts: 736 ✭✭✭

there is a thread over on Net54 regarding fake autos on T206's. Is this something different? Seems odd that two major crimes are outed in the span of a few weeks.

Collecting PSA 9's from 1970-1977. Raw 9's from 72-77. Raw 10's from '78-'83.
    Collecting Unopened from '72-'83; mostly BBCE certified boxes/cases/racks.
    Prefer to buy in bulk.

@Sdub

We are talking about the same one and this thread started based on the Lebron BGS 9 that has clearly been trimmed.

@Sdub said:
    there is a thread over on Net54 regarding fake autos on T206's. Is this something different? Seems odd that two major crimes are outed in the span of a few weeks.

Is trimming a crime in the same way autograph forgery is?

@rcmb3220 said:

@Sdub said:

Yes, assuming you hide the fact it is trimmed to profit...similar to selling anything not genuine or original without full disclosure of modifications. My opinion...i have no legal background.

@rcmb3220 said:

@Sdub said:

Is trimming a crime in the same way autograph forgery?

I don’t think it’s the same but for most card collectors I have seen, an altered card trades and sells around the price of a ‘poor’ card. However, a ‘good’ trim job can make a lesser card appear mint and command a much higher price.

And that’s the rub - you don’t find out (most of the time) that the card was trimmed until you send it in and get a grade of ‘altered.’

Out the grading fees + didn’t get the card you want = unhappy customer

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

The problem in these situations is establishing intent. If someone sends a trimmed card to a TPG company and they give it their stamp of approval, the submitter has plausible deniability. He “didn’t know it was altered,” and the TPG should have caught it.

However, in some of these cases, there is a more substantial chain of evidence. An already graded card is purchased (with scans available), card is cracked, altered, re-graded and sold again by the same individual (with scans showing the differences). In a case like that, the plausible deniability is gone.

@djr said:
    ire fraud?> @HighGradeLegends said:

@rcmb3220 said:

@Sdub said:

Yes, assuming you hide the fact it is trimmed to profit...similar to selling anything not genuine or original without full disclosure of modifications. My opinion...i have no legal background.

Maybe, wire fraud? Across state lines, say hello to the FBI

Wire fraud for sure, 100% agree

• brendanb438brendanb438 Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭

Jason Ewert and (can't remember first name) Dupcak are the 2 who passed a bunch of micro trimmed comics through CGC grading before things hit the fan. Was a decade or so ago. For a good read Google this fiasco, I am honestly not sure if any criminal charges ever came of this.

edited December 25, 2018 7:04PM

Dupcak has used several different eBay IDs, and his business model of accepting any returns and issuing prompt refunds seems to be effective in smoothing over any problems. I was taken by him once 15+ years ago, fortunately not that big a hit.

@djr said:
    In the United States, mail and wire fraud is any fraudulent scheme to intentionally deprive another of property or honest services via mail or wire communication. It has been a federal crime in the United States since 1872.

You’re correct but the problem is two fold. First, as mentioned by others, the fact that it was deemed authentic by TPGs (auto or alteration) give tremendous plausible deniability to the accused. The fact that one team can call experts and so can the other further muddies the waters. Second, it seems to be a bit of an open secret that trimmed cards get thru - how many people on these very boards have said they’ve had cards get ‘min size’ but they didn’t agree and resubbed and then eventually got it slabbed? Seems more than a few from what I have read.

Point being it can be a difficult case to prosecute and due to cost benefit analysis it seems these high cost (either way) and difficult to prove cases often go nowhere.

PS - I have had a few cards come back with disappointing grades, including a recent 62T Joe Torre that I guess was trimmed. I will probably sell it (and disclose it) but who is to say someone else won’t try to sub it or mark it up and not disclose?

• lawyer05lawyer05 Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭✭

@PaulMaul said:
    The problem in these situations is establishing intent. If someone sends a trimmed card to a TPG company and they give it their stamp of approval, the submitter has plausible deniability. He “didn’t know it was altered,” and the TPG should have caught it.

However, in some of these cases, there is a more substantial chain of evidence. An already graded card is purchased (with scans available), card is cracked, altered, re-graded and sold again by the same individual (with scans showing the differences). In a case like that, the plausible deniability is gone.

What the @#$$ is TPG?

Ok..I got it TPG
    Third party grader

• AlbertdiditAlbertdidit Posts: 560 ✭✭✭

@brendanb438 said:
    Jason Ewert and (can't remember first name) Dupcak are the 2 who passed a bunch of micro trimmed comics through CGC grading before things hit the fan. Was a decade or so ago. For a good read Google this fiasco, I am honestly not sure if any criminal charges ever came of this.

Holy smokes..I looked up (danny) dupcak..seems he had used multiple aliases and accounts over the years for trimmed comics/restored and was also busted in late 90's selling fake baseball autos. I dont see that he ever served major time. Got 90 days and 5 years probation for autos. Didnt see any punishment for comics. Is he still selling?.didnt notice any recent threads/news on him but didnt spend much time looking

@Dpeck100 said:
    @Sdub

We are talking about the same one and this thread started based on the Lebron BGS 9 that has clearly been trimmed.

If you haven't seen it yet your user ID was mentioned over in that BO thread on page 116 comment #2892 about a successful transaction you had with a seller. You might want to check it out.

@erikthredd said:

@Dpeck100 said:
    @Sdub

If you haven't seen it yet your user ID was mentioned over in that BO thread on page 116 comment #2892 about a successful transaction you had with a seller. You might want to check it out.

Thank you for pointing this out to me. I will definitely pay some attention to the posts that follow.

I sold this seller some 1994 Miami Hurricanes Bumble Bee Ray Lewis cards that were raw and graded. Those have perforations so not sure what can be done to enhance their condition.

A few years ago I was looking closely at the item I bought from him and my heart sank a little because there is a very good chance it is trimmed. It is thinner than my other copy but I don't know for certain if this issue has a variance in cuts. It is PSA graded.

edited December 31, 2018 3:11PM

@Dpeck100 said:

@erikthredd said:

@Dpeck100 said:
    @Sdub

Thank you for pointing this out to me. I will definitely pay some attention to the posts that follow.

I sold this seller some 1994 Miami Hurricanes Bumble Bee Ray Lewis cards that were raw and graded. Those have perforations so not sure what can be done to enhance their condition.

A few years ago I was looking closely at the item I bought from him and my heart sank a little because there is a very good chance it is trimmed. It is thinner than my other copy but I don't know for certain if this issue has a variance in cuts. It is PSA graded.

That sounds like a tough situation. I worry about stuff like this with MJ's foreign issued stuff i buy especially stickers.
    If that T-206 question was for me i have only heard it mentioned in that thread. There may be a link to a thread elsewhere about it but good luck finding it. I think it was over on net54.

edit: just noticed that wasn't you that asked about t-206's :)

• LOTSOSLOTSOS Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭✭✭

As this goes on and appears to be growing do you think that we’ll see PSA start sending back a greater number of EOT and Min Siz?

Kevin

This sucks. Luckily all my best cards are pack pulled. And as for the others, hopefully my psa 7 Rickey rookie is safe from tampering.

• AlbertdiditAlbertdidit Posts: 560 ✭✭✭

@djr said:
    What is going on...this is starting to feel like it's happening all the time. PSA better start taking images of cards especially numbered cards, at higher tiers. It seems like this is becoming necessity to protect the PSA brand and customers. With technology, I'm not sure why scans are not utilized. I would for sure pay more for this service. Oh well, carry on...

Brian Deer aka isellurcards / bristolcollectibles / collectingconcepts / isellyourcards / f.o.t.s.19

https://www.me.berkeley.edu/search/node/paper cutter

Detailed info at this link: https://www.blowoutforums.com/showthread.php?t=1255123&page=116

My goodness. Truely sickening

• GoDodgersFanGoDodgersFan Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭

Just amazing detective work. Man, this is not good.

Who is this Deer jack wagon? Is he big in the hobby or lurking in the shadows?

• TabeTabe Posts: 5,920 ✭✭✭✭✭

@1970s said:
    In 5 sentences or less, what happened with the T-206 autos ?

Cards purchased raw, fake autographs applied, submitted for grading - and passed. Some have intentional damage inflicted to try and hide distinctive markings. LOTS of cards affected.

@HighGradeLegends said:
    Who is this Deer jack wagon? Is he big in the hobby or lurking in the shadows?

there's more info on him in the BO football section.

@PaulMaul said:

true...

12 years ago i used to go to Sport Shop in ft lauderdale that sold autographs. One day i heard the owner in the back say, cmon do it, no one is watching. This guy had a woman (i guess for better handwritting) doing some auto pictures. Yes forging. I stopped going to that store to get my supplies.

This year i saw a Chico Salmon auto on a postcard. I knew it was a fake. ( I specialize in his signature) Couldnt believe it had a JSA sticker. When i looked at the seller .... guess who was selling it ....... so becareful