Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Saddle Ridge Hoard GTG Thread/Giveaway

2»

Comments

• Options
    logger7logger7 Posts: 8,123 ✭✭✭✭✭

I consulted the leading grading books on grading these, and came up with my best guess:

1- 58+
    2 – 63
    3 – 63+
    4 – 61
    5- 62
    6 – 61
    7 – 63
    8 – 62+
    9 – 64
    10 - 65

And I just composed this seasonal poem for others to enjoy, I think I'll call it "Snowy Woods":

Whose woods these are I think I know.

His house is in the village though;

He will not see me stopping here

To watch his woods fill up with snow.

My little horse must think it queer

To stop without a farmhouse near

Between the woods and frozen lake

The darkest evening of the year.

He gives his harness bells a shake

To ask if there is some mistake.

The only other sound’s the sweep

Of easy wind and downy flake.

The woods are lovely, dark and deep,

But I have promises to keep,

And miles to go before I sleep,

And miles to go before I sleep.

• Options
    erwindocerwindoc Posts: 4,928 ✭✭✭✭✭

1: 62
    2: 63
    3: 64
    4: 63
    5: 63
    6: 61
    7: 63
    8: 62
    9: 63
    10: 64

Generous give-a-way!

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,962 ✭✭✭✭✭

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,289 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congrats to the winner. Just saw it, but was a bit high on grades not drugs.

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,892 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 22, 2018 9:14PM

Nice gesture, just the same. I see the game is over.

• Options
    AlexinPAAlexinPA Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭✭✭

This here Saddle Ridge hoard is gettin' a lot of attention here. :#

• Options
    morgansforevermorgansforever Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭✭✭

Crap missed out, probably wouldn't have nailed them all, congrats to the winner. Merry Christmas to all.

World coins FSHO Hundreds of successful BST transactions U.S. coins FSHO
  • Options
    SoldiSoldi Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭✭✭

@logger7 said:
    I consulted the leading grading books on grading these, and came up with my best guess:

1- 58+
    2 – 63___**_**
    3 – 63+
    4 – 61
    5- 62
    6 – 61
    7 – 63
    8 – 62+
    9 – 64
    10 - 65

And I just composed this seasonal poem for others to enjoy, I think I'll call it "Snowy Woods":

Whose woods these are I think I know.

His house is in the village though;

He will not see me stopping here

To watch his woods fill up with snow.

My little horse must think it queer

To stop without a farmhouse near

Between the woods and frozen lake

The darkest evening of the year.

He gives his harness bells a shake

To ask if there is some mistake.

The only other sound’s the sweep

Of easy wind and downy flake.

The woods are lovely, dark and deep,

But I have promises to keep,

And miles to go before I sleep,

And miles to go before I sleep.

I have to tell you that's really nice, the poem, the poem

• Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,791 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is like Warren Buffet's annual $1M March Madness offer (scaled down a bit). :)

• Options
    ilikemonstersilikemonsters Posts: 767 ✭✭✭✭

@spacehayduke said:
    I won? Pure luck, I figure I could get 80% but would miss a couple. Wow..........

Best, SH

A quote from the cheater himself after being asked if he’s a professional grader...

“No but I have a heck of alot of grading experience for gold from buying, lot viewing, and studying for 15 years. I got lucky. I figured I could get 80% right using the systematic approach I used combined with what the Saddle Ridge Hoard graded from auction records. And the fact that he had 10 of the same coin minted close together and graded close together. So I used my analytical approach, with several assumptions about with knowledge on the potential grade range, and put together a list of grades. And got lucky.

Best, SH”

I call bull.

• Options
    northcoinnorthcoin Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 23, 2018 4:22PM

As the owner of a Saddle Ridge coin, I appreciate the attention given to this unique hoard with its intriguing history.

I note many here posted grades that were higher or otherwise commented how their own grade views were higher than those assigned. Don Kagin made a similar observation to me back at the time noting many felt the coins were under graded. Just curious, with all the attention given to CAC any information on how these have been beaned in subsequent years? Any specific reportings on what the trend has been with regard to crack-outs and regrades whether resubmitted to PCGS or crossed at NGC?

• Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,313 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Insider2 said:
    When I was in school we were asked to translate Caesar from the Latin. Some of my classmates did their homework using translations. They received the recognition and reward for the completed assignments. Who can tell if they learned anything? :wink:

When you were in school, I thought Latin was still the main language spoken and Caesar was considered recent history......? ;)

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    scubafuelscubafuel Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭✭✭

Even though it was over, I took a swing at this contest anyway, and then looked at the answers.

I...should stick to silver.

• Options
    davids5104davids5104 Posts: 805 ✭✭✭✭
    1. 63
    2. 64
    3. 64
    4. 63
    5. 64
    6. 62+
    7. 64
    8. 62
    9. 64+
    10. 62+

[Ebay Store - Come Visit]

Roosevelt Registry

transactions with cucamongacoin, FHC, mtinis, bigjpst, Rob41281, toyz4geo, erwindoc, add your name here!!!

• Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,063 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 23, 2018 5:22PM

@ilikemonsters said:

@spacehayduke said:
    I won? Pure luck, I figure I could get 80% but would miss a couple. Wow..........

Best, SH

A quote from the cheater himself after being asked if he’s a professional grader...

“No but I have a heck of alot of grading experience for gold from buying, lot viewing, and studying for 15 years. I got lucky. I figured I could get 80% right using the systematic approach I used combined with what the Saddle Ridge Hoard graded from auction records. And the fact that he had 10 of the same coin minted close together and graded close together. So I used my analytical approach, with several assumptions about with knowledge on the potential grade range, and put together a list of grades. And got lucky.

Best, SH”

I call bull.

You make a lot of assumptions. There have been grading contests here where I was able to guess everyone of them right or close to it and people swore I looked the coins up, but I didn't. It is possible that he did it alone. Even if he did look up the coins somehow, it wasn't barred by the rules as suggested by the other poster.

• Options
    OnastoneOnastone Posts: 3,802 ✭✭✭✭✭

Trick question! These are all RAW~ B)

• Options
    ldhairldhair Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭✭✭

This contest was won by skill and a bit of luck. There was no way to be a cheater.
    SH won this and I believe it was more like 99% of his skills that came together to win.

Larry

• Options
    CommemKingCommemKing Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭✭✭

64+
    64+

• Options
    jughead1893jughead1893 Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options
    ldhairldhair Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Regulated
    A long term member wins this based on your rules and you show them in bad light. That's just wrong. You need to fix this.

Larry

• Options
    OriginalDanOriginalDan Posts: 3,727 ✭✭✭✭✭

Chill people, it’s just an Internet forum contest.

I personally don’t believe anyone could have guessed all 10 correctly, including plus grades.

But it also wasn’t against any stated rules to look up the coins. It is a bit odd to claim otherwise though, if the winner did indeed look them up.

I think just about everyone here missed the point of the contest.

• Options
    RegulatedRegulated Posts: 2,992 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ldhair said:
    @Regulated
    A long term member wins this based on your rules and you show them in bad light. That's just wrong. You need to fix this.

I'm confused - how am I showing anyone in a bad light?

What is now proved was once only imagined. - William Blake
  • Options
    logger7logger7 Posts: 8,123 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's very hard to know to whom to give based on real needs, having done so myself and sometimes regretted it. One proverb; "Let your alms sweat in your hands, until you know to whom you should give."

• Options
    davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭✭✭

@spacehayduke said:
    I have been discussing it with regulated on PM's, since I never expected to win, as soon as I found out I won a couple days back, I told him I would like to give this to someone who has shown interest in the SR Hoard who has done great things for these boards.

Happy Holidays, Best, SH

If you are going to gift the prize to someone else, I nominate Paradisefound. Heck of a contest and good job winning it.

• Options
    spacehaydukespacehayduke Posts: 5,507 ✭✭✭✭✭

@cameonut2011 said:

@spacehayduke said:
    I have been discussing it with regulated on PM's, since I never expected to win, as soon as I found out I won a couple days back, I told him I would like to give this to someone who has shown interest in the SR Hoard who has done great things for these boards.

Happy Holidays, Best, SH

You won. It's yours. Don't let others try to guilt trip you.

Hi Cameo,
    It is not a guilt trip. I was planning to give it away as soon as I saw the contest posted in the off chance I could get those grades. It is too bad some here think I did it under nefarious circumstances but that has no bearing on my prior decision and all too happy to pay it forward and hopefully others will see this as way we can all be more collegial. I have a lot of gold, why not give this to a collector who has just a little or none, who can be more inspired by the coin than I?

Happy Holidays, SH

Successful transactions with-Boosibri,lkeigwin,TomB,Broadstruck,coinsarefun,Type2,jom,ProfLiz, UltraHighRelief,Barndog,EXOJUNKIE,ldhair,fivecents,paesan,Crusty...
  • Options
    spacehaydukespacehayduke Posts: 5,507 ✭✭✭✭✭

.> @davewesen said:

@spacehayduke said:

Happy Holidays, Best, SH

If you are going to gift the prize to someone else, I nominate Paradisefound. Heck of a contest and good job winning it.

Yup, she was my choice all along - doing great things here on these boards.

Merry Christmas! SH

Successful transactions with-Boosibri,lkeigwin,TomB,Broadstruck,coinsarefun,Type2,jom,ProfLiz, UltraHighRelief,Barndog,EXOJUNKIE,ldhair,fivecents,paesan,Crusty...
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,892 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not to rain on the parade, but I think they were all cleaned and conserved.... which, in my reality means NOT Gradeable.
    "Shakin' the bush, Boss... shakin' the bush"

• Options
    northcoinnorthcoin Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 25, 2018 9:47AM

@northcoin said:
    As the owner of a Saddle Ridge coin, I appreciate the attention given to this unique hoard with its intriguing history.

I note many here posted grades that were higher or otherwise commented how their own grade views were higher than those assigned. Don Kagin made a similar observation to me back at the time noting many felt the coins were under graded. Just curious, with all the attention given to CAC any information on how these have been beaned in subsequent years? Any specific reportings on what the trend has been with regard to crack-outs and regrades whether resubmitted to PCGS or crossed at NGC?

Anyone have personal experience with upgrades for coins from the Saddle Ridge Hoard?

• Options
    burdellburdell Posts: 55 ✭✭✭✭

Kudos to @spacehayduke

• Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Bochiman said: "Doesn't matter what YOU call it. It really doesn't. His win, and how he did it, appears to be within any "rules" that Regulated had and really doesn't impact you, or me, or anyone else....I, for one, think it was more than awesome of Regulated to do this type of contest."

Amen. Awesome prize.

IMHO, it would be impossible for anyone to hit 100% from images. I was going to take a guess also but something to save for the weekend. The fact that the prize was amazing was the ONLY reason to spend the time. My congratulations to the winner.

• Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 25, 2018 10:54AM

@davewesen said:

@spacehayduke said:

Happy Holidays, Best, SH

Obviously, that's who he intended to gift it to and she'll probably turn around and give it to crazyhounddog who rather than keeping it will donate it to his community. This coin deserves a custom slab from our host!

EDIT: I should learn to get to the end of a thread before commenting. I feel like I'm cheating as my post is redundant.

• Options
    scubafuelscubafuel Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭✭✭

SH, what a really cool thing to do. It’s a shame that you got anything other than congratulations in this thread.

• Options
    ElmerFusterpuckElmerFusterpuck Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭✭✭

I came a little late to this party and thought wow, what an awesome contest! Then the person who won wants to pay it forward, which is also great. How some people find fecal matter within that is beyond me.

• Options
    BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,424 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 29, 2018 8:25PM

@Bochiman said:

@Insider2 said:
    When I was in school we were asked to translate Caesar from the Latin. Some of my classmates did their homework using translations. They received the recognition and reward for the completed assignments. Who can tell if they learned anything? :wink:

When you were in school, I thought Latin was still the main language spoken and Caesar was considered recent history......? ;)

I'm not laughing. I'm NOT laughing! ;)

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • Options
    AkbeezAkbeez Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭✭✭

WOW - A total KARMA piece

Congrat's @Paradisefound you deserved this!!

Refs: MCM,Fivecents,Julio,Robman,Endzone,Coiny,Agentjim007,Musky1011,holeinone1972,Tdec1000,Type2,bumanchu, Metalsman,Wondercoin,Pitboss,Tomohawk,carew4me,segoja,thebigeng,jlc_coin,mbogoman,sportsmod,dragon,tychojoe,Schmitz7,claychaser,and many OTHERS
  • Options
    HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Paradisefound said:
    <3@Regulated and @spacehayduke <3

I couldn't find good enough words to express my gratitude for your thoughtfulness and generosity <3
    Thank you from the bottom of my heart.....she will be treasured for many decades to come.

Unexpected and I am completely in awe of the wonderful people in this “Collectors Universe.”

Outstanding!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file