Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

"steroid" accused players gaining hobby respect?

Comments

• Options
    ahopkinsahopkins Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't understand why the Tiffany has such appeal. Is it simply because they are rarer than regular issues? Honest question. Not trying to be snide, so I'd appreciate snideless responses. Thanks.

I agree with you @rtimmer that the 1984 Fleer Update set is one of the greatest '80s sets.

Andy

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,569 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ahopkins said:
    I don't understand why the Tiffany has such appeal. Is it simply because they are rarer than regular issues? Honest question. Not trying to be snide, so I'd appreciate snideless responses. Thanks.

I agree with you @rtimmer that the 1984 Fleer Update set is one of the greatest '80s sets.

The appeal lies in the relative limited quantities of tiffany compared to regular topps. Topps produced millions of each card during 1984-1991. 1985 and 1986 tiffany sets were limited to only 5000 sets. This appeals to the collector who loves the 80's rookies, but wants a higher end version. In addition, tiffany versions used a better quality paper stock with high gloss and much brighter backs.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    VintagemanEdVintagemanEd Posts: 922 ✭✭✭

So do we have an idea of the production numbers of the 84 Fleer updates compared to the Tiffany?

• Options

@VintagemanEd said:
    So do we have an idea of the production numbers of the 84 Fleer updates compared to the Tiffany?

I had heard 15,000 FU sets produced. Now keep in mind that is totally unsubstantiated and could be incorrect. I do believe the 85 tiffany set to be more rare. We know there were 5000 of those

• Options
    softparadesoftparade Posts: 9,271 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ahopkins said:

Supply vs demand is always the answer. Don’t listen to those who yell about dumping junk in the river is sacrilege... every destroyed lot helps lol

ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw 3, 100, 103, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ISO 1978 O-Pee-Chee in NM-MT High Grade Raw12, 21, 29, 38, 49, 65, 69, 73, 74, 81, 95, 100, 104, 110, 115, 122, 132, 133, 135, 140, 142, 151, 153, 155, 160, 161, 167, 168, 172, 179, 181, 196, 200, 204, 210, 224, 231, 240

• Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,136 ✭✭✭✭✭

I guess tiffany is kind of like todays chrome refractors. It's always going to be more sought after than just the base versions.

• Options

Thanks for the responses @craig44 @softparade @doubledragon .

Andy

• Options
    ReggieClevelandReggieCleveland Posts: 3,855 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ahopkins said:

Is it the set you don't get or the Tiffany part?

Arthur

• Options

@ReggieCleveland said:

@ahopkins said:

Arthur

Neither. Just the elevated interest in the Tiffany cards. I'm pretty sure I understand now, thanks to softparade and Craig.

Andy

• Options
    ReggieClevelandReggieCleveland Posts: 3,855 ✭✭✭✭✭

I liked DoubleDragon's analogy but I'd take it a step further: it's like today's paper vs. chrome. Paper has its merits but chrome is just a superior product that is far more limited.

The perfect, high-gloss surface really makes a huge difference in the presentation of the card when you have them in-hand.

Arthur

• Options
    ndleondleo Posts: 4,079 ✭✭✭✭✭

@craig44 said:

@VintagemanEd said:

I had heard 15,000 FU sets produced. Now keep in mind that is totally unsubstantiated and could be incorrect. I do believe the 85 tiffany set to be more rare. We know there were 5000 of those

I remember reading in one of the hobby rags back then that the 1984 Fleer Update print run was closer to 35K sets. Which makes sense to me since almost 5000 Clemens have been graded.

Mike
  • Options

It's very possible my number was far too low.

• Options
    rtimmerrtimmer Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭✭

This is just some rough math for comparison sake but I think the popularity of the 2 cards are close for it to be accurate.

There have been 2328 Bonds graded by PSA out of the 5000 so roughly 50% meaning if same percentage of Clemens were graded the Fleer update would have around 10,000 sets produced with 5000 being graded.

Follow me at LinkedIn & Instagram: @ryanscard
    Join the Rookie stars on top PSA registry today:
    1980-1989 Cello Packs - Rookies
  • Options

some interesting Bonds and Clemens auctions going on by PWCC. all have 7 days left.

Bonds: 2 1986 TT Tiffany PSA 10 both at $910.00
    1 1987 OPC PSA 10 at $1125.00

Clemens: 1996 Score select certified Mirror Gold PSA 10 at $2375.00
    1985 Tiffany PSA 10 at $4050.00

• Options
    EstilEstil Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭✭

They really don't deserve this at all. Why anyone would spend that kind of money on a bunch of FAKERS is beyond me :(

What's next, Lance Armstrong stuff is gonna make a comeback? :(

WISHLIST
    Dimes: 54S, 53P, 50P, 49S, 45D+S, 44S, 43D, 41S, 40D+S, 39D+S, 38D+S, 37D+S, 36S, 35D+S, all 16-34's
    Quarters: 52S, 47S, 46S, 40S, 39S, 38S, 37D+S, 36D+S, 35D, 34D, 32D+S
    74 Topps: 37,38,46,47,48,138,151,193,210,214,223,241,256,264,268,277,289,316,435,552,570,577,592,602,610,654,655
    1997 Finest silver: 115, 135, 139, 145, 310
    1995 Ultra Gold Medallion Sets: Golden Prospects, HR Kings, On-Base Leaders, Power Plus, RBI Kings, Rising Stars
  • Options

1985 tiffany Clemens sells for $5575.00
    1996 mirror gold Clemens Sells for $3501.00

• Options

an 1985 TT clemens sold last night for

$5600.00

last two sales over $5500.00

is there any chance this card could break 5 figures in the future? could have had it for 1500-2000 a few years ago

• Options
    mintonlyplsmintonlypls Posts: 1,754 ✭✭✭✭✭

What about the '85 McGwire psa-10 for $1700+

mint_only_pls
  • Options

@mintonlypls said:
    What about the '85 McGwire psa-10 for $1700+

Wow! I didn't see that one. Impressive

• Options

1985 tt Clemens PSA 10 sale for $6200.00.

• Options

1985 TT Clemens psa 10 sold for $7211.00 on August 17. A record sale as far as i know.

• Options

There is currently another 85 Tiffany Clemens in PSA 10 on the bay with 4 days left. Bidding at $7525.00

This card is edging towards 5 figures.

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,254 ✭✭✭✭✭

@craig44 said:
    There is currently another 85 Tiffany Clemens in PSA 10 on the bay with 4 days left. Bidding at $7525.00

I realize many/most people have decided Roger is guilty of using PEDS. He never failed a test and there was never any credible accusations against him.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    Brian48Brian48 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭

@JoeBanzai said:

@craig44 said:

I realize many/most people have decided Roger is guilty of using PEDS. He never failed a test and there was never any credible accusations against him.

Whether Clemens is technically guilty or not doesn't matter any more. PEDs are more common now in sports. Except for some purists, I think a lot of people just don't care any more. The HOF has also become less of a factor. People are going to buy their heros, the icons, and/or those popular due to media presence.

• Options
    jayhawkejayhawke Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭

@JoeBanzai said:

@craig44 said:

He was named in the Mitchell report.

• Options

@JoeBanzai said:

@craig44 said:

you are absolutely correct joe. His name was tarnished for no good reason

• Options

@jayhawke said:

@JoeBanzai said:

@craig44 said:

He was accused by a disgruntled former employee who had an axe to grind. no credible evidence at all.

• Options
    edited September 25, 2020 5:25PM

@craig44 said:

@jayhawke said:

@JoeBanzai said:

@craig44 said:

He was accused by a disgruntled former employee who had an axe to grind. no credible evidence at all.

Sure, his name just shows up because of a disgruntled former employee. This wasn’t an HR issue. Andy Pettitte lied?

• Options

@jayhawke said:

@craig44 said:

@jayhawke said:

@JoeBanzai said:

@craig44 said:

Sure, his name just shows up because of a disgruntled former employee. This wasn’t an HR issue. Andy Pettitte lied?

Pettite admitted there was a better than fifty percent chance he was wrong. and yes, Macnamee was the only witness. there was no one else. his own wife said he was lying. Mitchell was after a big fish. he tried to get one with clemens. it was a sham. you are just regurgitating what you heard from lester munson and espn.

• Options

@craig44 said:

@jayhawke said:

@craig44 said:

@jayhawke said:

@JoeBanzai said:

@craig44 said:

Pettite admitted there was a better than fifty percent chance he was wrong. and yes, Macnamee was the only witness. there was no one else. his own wife said he was lying. Mitchell was after a big fish. he tried to get one with clemens. it was a sham. you are just regurgitating what you heard from lester munson and espn.

I believe the Mitchell report over some random guy on a message board. You can keep regurgitating your opinion so eventually someone might believe it’s facts. Clemens cheated and should never be elected to the HOF. Speculation/investing in his cards is a different story.

• Options
    daltexdaltex Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jayhawke said:

@craig44 said:

@jayhawke said:

@craig44 said:

@jayhawke said:

@JoeBanzai said:

@craig44 said:

I believe the Mitchell report over some random guy on a message board. You can keep regurgitating your opinion so eventually someone might believe it’s facts. Clemens cheated and should never be elected to the HOF. Speculation/investing in his cards is a different story.

Is Gaylord Perry (not nearly the pitcher Clemens was) in the HoF?

• Options

@daltex said:

@jayhawke said:

@craig44 said:

@jayhawke said:

@craig44 said:

@jayhawke said:

@JoeBanzai said:

@craig44 said:

Is he on the Mitchell report for steroids?

• Options
    daltexdaltex Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jayhawke said:

@daltex said:

@jayhawke said:

@craig44 said:

@jayhawke said:

@craig44 said:

@jayhawke said:

@JoeBanzai said:

@craig44 said:

Apologies. I did not realize that the Mitchell report was the sole determiner of whether someone cheated. I withdraw my question.

• Options

@jayhawke said:

@daltex said:

@jayhawke said:

@craig44 said:

@jayhawke said:

@craig44 said:

@jayhawke said:

@JoeBanzai said:

@craig44 said:

perry admitted he cheated. clemens did not. you keep mentioning the mitchell report as though it is gospel. what exactly is your evidence clemens used? I would love to hear it.

• Options
    lawyer05lawyer05 Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭✭

@ReggieCleveland said:

@ahopkins said:

Arthur

there were only 5ooo tiffany made and a trillion mde of the regular version. What is not to understand

• Options
    lawyer05lawyer05 Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭✭

@Brian48 said:

@JoeBanzai said:

@craig44 said:

Whether Clemens is technically guilty or not doesn't matter any more. PEDs are more common now in sports. Except for some purists, I think a lot of people just don't care any more. The HOF has also become less of a factor. People are going to buy their heros, the icons, and/or those popular due to media presence.

PED are not more common now in sports, they were more common then !!!
    People keep forgetting that when Bonds Mgwire Sosa and Clemens took PED it was LEGAL
    Let me write that again
    IT WAS LEGAL
    one more time
    It WAS NOT AGAINST THE RULES
    one more time
    YOU COULD DO IT AND THEN THE LEAGUE DIDNT CARE
    one more time
    YOU COULDNT GET CAUGHT BECAUSE IT WASNT AGAINST THE RULES
    one more time
    IT WAS OK !!!
    one more time

• Options

@lawyer05 said:

@ReggieCleveland said:

@ahopkins said:

Arthur

there were only 5ooo tiffany made and a trillion mde of the regular version. What is not to understand

Me no care

Andy

• Options
    CWCW Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭

• Options

@craig44 said:

@jayhawke said:

@daltex said:

@jayhawke said:

@craig44 said:

@jayhawke said:

@craig44 said:

@jayhawke said:

@JoeBanzai said:

@craig44 said:

perry admitted he cheated. clemens did not. you keep mentioning the mitchell report as though it is gospel. what exactly is your evidence clemens used? I would love to hear it.

It’s really an easy one, the Mitchell report.

• Options

@CW said:

nice cards!!

• Options

@lawyer05 said:

@Brian48 said:

@JoeBanzai said:

@craig44 said:

People keep forgetting that when Bonds Mgwire Sosa and Clemens took PED it was LEGAL
    Let me write that again
    IT WAS LEGAL
    one more time
    one more time
    one more time
    one more time
    IT WAS OK !!!
    one more time

That is not factual true. You are blurring the timeline.

• Options

@jayhawke said:

@craig44 said:

@jayhawke said:

@daltex said:

@jayhawke said:

@craig44 said:

@jayhawke said:

@craig44 said:

@jayhawke said:

@JoeBanzai said:

@craig44 said:

>

It’s really an easy one, the Mitchell repo

the only person Mitchell interviewed in regard to clemens was Macnamee. and yes, he was a former employee, with an axe to grind who testified under duress to mitchell. He admitted in the defamation suit he testified against clemens under duress of not getting immunity unless he did.

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,254 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jayhawke said:

@craig44 said:

@jayhawke said:

@daltex said:

@jayhawke said:

@craig44 said:

@jayhawke said:

@craig44 said:

@jayhawke said:

@JoeBanzai said:

@craig44 said:

It’s really an easy one, the Mitchell report.

I do have my doubts about Clemens, however have you actually read the report? I read the part that mentions Clemens and it really boils down to Macnamee's word against Roger's. Both had reasons to lie, but Macnamee has a bad track record here. Pettite's flip-flopping statements are also confusing.

@lawyer05 said:

@Brian48 said:

@JoeBanzai said:

@craig44 said:

Let me write that again
    IT WAS LEGAL
    one more time
    one more time
    one more time
    one more time
    IT WAS OK !!!
    one more time

You are completely incorrect.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    stwainfanstwainfan Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭✭✭

Gaylord Perry used the spit ball. It's called cheating.

I collect hall of fame rookie cards, https://www.instagram.com/stwainfan/

• Options
    lwehlerslwehlers Posts: 868 ✭✭✭✭✭

@stwainfan said:
    Gaylord Perry used the spit ball. It's called cheating.

the issue with steriods is physical enhancing with a spitball was just doctoring the baseball i do not think it was a big deal. i think that clemens bonds and rodriguez should be in the hall of fame. they were some of the best players of there era it is to bad that they did not think they were and had to do steriods to think that they were not.

• Options
    lwehlerslwehlers Posts: 868 ✭✭✭✭✭

@craig44 said:

@CW said:

nice cards!!

i wonder if the clemens on the left would grade a psa 9.

• Options
    nam812nam812 Posts: 10,541 ✭✭✭✭✭

@lwehlers said:

@craig44 said:

@CW said:

nice cards!!

i wonder if the clemens on the left would grade a psa 9.

It already has.

• Options
    rtimmerrtimmer Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭✭

I think if Bud Sellig makes the hall then Clemens and Bonds should definitely make it!

Follow me at LinkedIn & Instagram: @ryanscard
    Join the Rookie stars on top PSA registry today:
    1980-1989 Cello Packs - Rookies
  • Options

The Clemens 1985 Tiffany PSA 10 ended last night.

Final price: $8577.00

with shipping and sales tax, this card went for over $9k! As far as I know, that is the highest price ever paid for a Clemens card. It seems, the next time one comes up for auction, it will probably break 5 figures.

• Options
    In4apennyIn4apenny Posts: 298 ✭✭✭

Amazing Clemens auction. My favorite strike out king is Mr. Rob Deer. He put up some awesome numbers.