Home U.S. Coin Forum

1944 steel wheat penny?

What do you think about this coin? Magnetic and weighs 2.73 grams.

Comments

• PTVETTERPTVETTER Posts: 5,922 ✭✭✭✭✭

Look OK but I without reservation would sent it to our host
    Opinions hear will not carry much weight

Pat Vetter,Mercury Dime registry set,1938 Proof set registry,Pat & BJ Coins:724-325-7211

• AkbeezAkbeez Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭✭✭

Weight about right, too light for a zinc plated bronze. Likely a fake, coin doesn't look right. Rev rim very wide. Look close for a possible added 4 in the date. Would need better pics to really see. Chances are very, very slim it's authentic.
    Welcome!!

Refs: MCM,Fivecents,Julio,Robman,Endzone,Coiny,Agentjim007,Musky1011,holeinone1972,Tdec1000,Type2,bumanchu, Metalsman,Wondercoin,Pitboss,Tomohawk,carew4me,segoja,thebigeng,jlc_coin,mbogoman,sportsmod,dragon,tychojoe,Schmitz7,claychaser,and many OTHERS
  • morgandollar1878morgandollar1878 Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭✭✭

Maybe it's the pics but the date and some of the letters look off to me. I say counterfeit.

Instagram: nomad_numismatics
  • HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 4, 2018 7:09PM

Clear close-up pic on the date and MM, please.

And... Welcome to the forum!

• privatecoinprivatecoin Posts: 3,295 ✭✭✭✭✭

Doesn't look right to me.

Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value. Zero. Voltaire. Ebay coinbowlllc

• 291fifth291fifth Posts: 24,251 ✭✭✭✭✭

Odd look. Send it in for authentication if you really want an opinion that means anything to the "market".

All glory is fleeting.
  • yosclimberyosclimber Posts: 4,715 ✭✭✭✭✭

• dlmtortsdlmtorts Posts: 726 ✭✭✭

The 4’s look different. Maybe the last 4 was changed from a 3?

• RegulatedRegulated Posts: 2,992 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've handled enough real ones to know they don't look like that.

What is now proved was once only imagined. - William Blake
  • 1Mike11Mike1 Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think its counterfeit but would be nice to have clear close-ups.

"May the silver waves that bear you heavenward be filled with love’s whisperings"

"A dog breaks your heart only one time and that is when they pass on". Unknown
  • CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,943 ✭✭✭✭✭

Did it come with chopsticks?

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,872 ✭✭✭✭✭

Someone needs to do some research and examine known examples of this coin. I think it's a fake and a replate. IMO. That rev rim is strange. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall, coinsarefun, MichaelDixon, NickPatton, ProfLiz, Twobitcollector,Jesbroken

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@dust3110 ....Welcome aboard.... You should send the cent in to a TPG for authentication. It is likely a counterfeit as Fred W. indicated.... Cheers, RickO

• seanqseanq Posts: 8,618 ✭✭✭✭✭

The date, the mint mark, and the proximity of LIBERTY to the rim all raise flags to me. Possibly an Asian counterfeit.

Sean Reynolds

Incomplete planchets wanted, especially Lincoln Cents & type coins.

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor
  • lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 8,148 ✭✭✭✭✭

Agreed. The second 4 looks tooled. Then, perhaps the coin was placed in some sort of collar and re-struck??? I'm trying to wrap my mind around how those rims got so flat....

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • ashelandasheland Posts: 23,035 ✭✭✭✭✭

I vote counterfeit.

• BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,806 ✭✭✭✭✭

It looks like something the Chinese cooked up.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • giantsfan20giantsfan20 Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭✭

Just like your 43 Bronze Cent question wheredid you find item? :#

• JBKJBK Posts: 15,270 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 5, 2018 11:02AM

@giantsfan20 said:

Thx for the reminder.

A few weeks ago this poster brought us two 1943 bronze cents and now a 1944 steel cent. :#

• AkbeezAkbeez Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JBK said:

@giantsfan20 said:

Thx for the reminder.

A few weeks ago this poster brought us two 1943 bronze cents and now a 1944 steel cent. :#

@JBK Are you thinking we are part of a QC trial review of some new "errors" coming out?

Refs: MCM,Fivecents,Julio,Robman,Endzone,Coiny,Agentjim007,Musky1011,holeinone1972,Tdec1000,Type2,bumanchu, Metalsman,Wondercoin,Pitboss,Tomohawk,carew4me,segoja,thebigeng,jlc_coin,mbogoman,sportsmod,dragon,tychojoe,Schmitz7,claychaser,and many OTHERS
  • HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Akbeez said:

@JBK said:

@giantsfan20 said:

Thx for the reminder.

@JBK Are you thinking we are part of a QC trial review of some new "errors" coming out?

Ali’s babay... ? :D

• LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭

Won't Ali Baba make anything you want now?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file