Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

POLL: Do you collect Morgan dollars?

POLL: Do you collect Morgan dollars?

Sign in to vote!
This is a public poll: others will see what you voted for.

Comments

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,486 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No; I own some, but consider them more of an accumulation than a carefully assembled collection.

My collection of them does have some logic. I have two Capital Plastics holders, one with the five mints that made them, and another with the major 1878 design varieties. I also have an 1896 because of the role Morgan Dollars played in the national debate on the monetary system along with an 1896 $20 gold piece. Beyond that, my collection is done so far as i'm concerned.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    CCDollarCCDollar Posts: 717 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 30, 2018 2:26PM
    Yes, I’m a very active collector. I’m constantly upgrading my set, and/or I compete in registries, or otherwise very active (e.g., cherrypicking or collecting by VAM or Fivaz-Stanton number; and/or a member of the Silver Dollar Round Table or other dedicated group).

Yep...I love 'em. However I have been toying with a Peace Dollar Date set.

Take care...CC

Nickel Triumph...My Led Zepps
  • Options
    HallcoHallco Posts: 3,627 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, I’m a very active collector. I’m constantly upgrading my set, and/or I compete in registries, or otherwise very active (e.g., cherrypicking or collecting by VAM or Fivaz-Stanton number; and/or a member of the Silver Dollar Round Table or other dedicated group).

I do not put together sets or registries, but I do collect Morgans that are interesting to me and have once again returned to the insanity that is all things Vam contrary to me telling myself my eyes are getting worse as I get older and I shouldn't! :D

• Options
    lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 7,831 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, I’m a casual collector; I collect them, but not as my primary hobby niche. (Includes type-set collecting.)

I said "yes", but my primary focus these days is on my Type Set and I already have a Morgan Dollar for it. That said, I may go back and revisit a date set some day... that would be the extent of it for me...

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No; I own some, but consider them more of an accumulation than a carefully assembled collection.

Naw, too rare; can't find any for sale no matter where I look. 😁

Real answer is I have maybe 50 or so, including a proof (1884) a few prooflike, several toned, many frosty, a few sliders, and a couple well circulated, along with a single poor slick that I think is a 95-O.

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    CCGGGCCGGG Posts: 1,267 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 30, 2018 5:04PM

Yes, very active. I have a number of completed registry sets. (but still upgrading, so I guess they are never really complete :) ) Also, had to get a bigger safe deposit box at my banks. My favorite is the 97 coin set (of all Morgan dates and MM's) Every time I work my way up in the ranking a few slots, "someone" upgrades their set and knocks me down a notch or two.. :'( Currently ranked number 32 and I'm trying to get in the top 20.

• Options
    ParadisefoundParadisefound Posts: 8,588 ✭✭✭✭✭

No

I have only 2 so far ........ I fancy Ms. Peace better :)

• Options
    AzurescensAzurescens Posts: 2,685 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, I’m a casual collector; I collect them, but not as my primary hobby niche. (Includes type-set collecting.)

I carry a Morgan with me every day. It's an old cleaned key date slicker, but is still fun to have, and fun to play with.

I have a few others that are memorial pieces or treasures etc.

I'm getting a few rolls soon that I'm super excited about.

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No; I don’t collect them at all, and I don’t own any.

Never really cared for the design.

• Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,976 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like them and was introduced to them by my father, when I was a child. Now that my Walker set is almost done; I have started a date set of Morgans. Still love GSA CC Morgans, as well.

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options
    BarberFanaticBarberFanatic Posts: 671 ✭✭✭✭

Way too common to hold much interest for me.

My current coin collecting interests are: (1) British coins 1838-1970 in XF-AU-UNC, (2) silver type coins in XF-AU with that classic medium gray coloration and exceptional eye appeal.
  • Options
    TONEDDOLLARSTONEDDOLLARS Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭✭

I have built several sets and sold them. I’m currently the owner of approximately 120 GSA’s

• Options
    CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've owned a couple in the past, but they are so ubiquitous, they hold no attraction for me.

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • Options
    blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,464 ✭✭✭✭✭

Somewhere between your description of very active and casual. I think very active but never heard of Fivaz or the round table so maybe not. lol

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

• Options
    3stars3stars Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭✭✭

Need an option for "used to, but got bored of 96 coins that looked the same and sold them all".

Previous transactions: Wondercoin, goldman86, dmarks, Type2
  • Options
    Raybob15239Raybob15239 Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭

My grandfather had an old, lower grade 1881 P that was kept on his dresser. I would hold that coin an imagine where it had been and who might have held it. When he passed away, I got that coin and it started me down the rabbit hole. I collect VAMs now, but still have that old 1881 holding a place of honor in my collection.

Successful B/S/T transactions: As Seller: PascoWA (June 2008); MsMorrisine (April 2009); ECHOES (July 2009) As Buyer: bfjohnson (July 2008); robkool (Dec 2010); itsnotjustme (Dec 2010) TwoSides2aCoin (Dec 2018) PrivateCoin Jan 2019
  • Options
    musstangrmusstangr Posts: 61 ✭✭✭

I'm "trying" to finish a CC set. A Morgan with clean cheeks and fields, full of luster is a gorgeous thing to behold. A high grade proof, oh my. But to find one of these meeting my standards takes 67+, making it a "condition rarity" and at those prices....... just too many other thing I'd rather have.

I go to maybe 5 shows a year and spend considerable time looking at Morgans. I've bought 1 in 5 years.

Here's one close: https://www.ebay.com/itm/1884-CC-US-Morgan-Silver-Dollar-1-GSA-Holder-Uncirculated-NGC-MS67-CAC/401640758074?hash=item5d83a79b3a:g:yx4AAOSwQrVb9CWc:sc:USPSPriority!93650!US!-1:rk:1:pf:0

LOL, but again at that price, for an '84, I'd find something else to buy.

• Options
    3stars3stars Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭✭✭

@david3142 said:

@3stars said:
    Need an option for "used to, but got bored of 96 coins that looked the same and sold them all".

I don’t understand how Morgans all look the same more than any other series. In mint state, there is far more variety to Morgans (if you want there to be) than others. Yes, it’s a big series. Also true of Lincolns. Heck, there are 63 Buffalo nickels in a complete set.

Probably why I moved to the dark side. A type set of British coins will keep you going forever without any duplication.

Previous transactions: Wondercoin, goldman86, dmarks, Type2
  • Options
    FranklinHalfAddictFranklinHalfAddict Posts: 651 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nope. Overrated, over priced, dime a dozen.
    I used to think it was a cool coin when I was 8. Now that I see that everyone and their mother has them falling out of their ears they’re kind of ho hum blah boring.

• Options
    JimTylerJimTyler Posts: 3,060 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have 2 not even an accumulation. One toned out of an old album and a toned in a gsa holder. Not looking for anymore

• Options
    coinhackcoinhack Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭✭

Morgan Dollars have always been my favorite. I have put together sets of other coins but they became boring and I sold them. I have also put together other full sets of Morgans and sold them too. The set I have now I put together with my dad. It is my favorite set of coins and I will not sell it. It is complete, so I am not actively adding to it but I might update 2 or 3 of them.

• Options
    david3142david3142 Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 30, 2018 8:14PM

@HighRelief -- that 1878-CC looks like a DMPL to me (for sure the reverse is). Nice coin!

This thread needs more pictures!

• Options
    divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,528 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have one for my US Type set, but I like them enough that at some point I will get one of each mint mark.

Donato

Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • Options
    BJandTundraBJandTundra Posts: 383 ✭✭✭✭

Now Peace Dollar collection is complete, am working on Morgans. Unfortunately, a little pricey so will be a slow process. Kids may have to finish it.

• Options
    RayboRaybo Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭✭✭

Everybody else collects Morgans, so why should I?

• Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,771 ✭✭✭✭✭

A beautiful coin design, I have an almost complete date set and others that I acquired because of the old holders they were in. Too pricey to finish a set in the grade range I like so it will never be a passion for me.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options
    BillDugan1959BillDugan1959 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

When it comes to silver coins, make mine a crown-sized coin every time!

• Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,704 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just a bit. ;)

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I put together a CC set, and I have others that attracted me along the way.... I like the Morgan dollar. It is a big, silver coin that firmly states 'American'. I wish we still had such coins in regular issue/commerce. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    AlexinPAAlexinPA Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭✭✭

I collect Morgan dollars; mainly CC variety.

• Options
    RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭

Any proposed Morgan dollar design bullion piece MUST mimic the detail and sharpness of the 1879 version...certainly not the 1921 flat, dull thing. The Mint has the capability of making pieces equivalent in acuity to the originals but they have to be pushed hard to actually do the work correctly.

• Options
    OneyOney Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭✭

It is the focus of my collection.....

Brian
  • Options
    CCGGGCCGGG Posts: 1,267 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 1, 2018 4:29PM

I've never tried to count them at a show but I'd guesstimate that maybe ~half of the slabbed coins at any given coin show are Morgans. There are a few dealers I know that only carry Morgans unless they get "stuck" with something from a trade.

• Options
    morgansforevermorgansforever Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 1, 2018 4:47PM

Own a few :)

World coins FSHO Hundreds of successful BST transactions U.S. coins FSHO
  • Options
    HallcoHallco Posts: 3,627 ✭✭✭✭✭

@morgansforever said:
    Own a few :)

These are ok! ;)

• Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm a casual collector of proofs !!! :)

Timbuk3
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,304 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't really fit in the categories.
    There was a time that I was collecting them. Did pretty much a year set now.
    However, I have pulled back on collecting them and focused elsewhere. I'll still buy one at a show or something, if there is something that pulls it to me, but I won't go out of my way looking at/for them anymore.

No morgan registry set for me....everyone and their mother...and brother and sister and neighbor...etc....seems to have registry sets for them. Deep pockets will fill up the first few pages, or those that got in a long time ago, so the ones I have collected, I definitely do "for me" and not for the registry.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    silverpopsilverpop Posts: 6,599 ✭✭✭✭✭

i have one in my collection it's a 1899o VAM11a

Coins for sale at link below
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/TyJbuBJf37WZ2KT19

• Options
    TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was very active in the mid to late '70's.
    Then life intervened.

now more casual, if I see something that interests me.

Frank

BHNC #203

• Options
    CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zoins

re: the colors on your wild Morgan dollar reverse. How confident are you that this is NT? I'm a toning verification novice, but that looks very suspicious to me.

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • Options
    HiBuckyHiBucky Posts: 582 ✭✭✭

Yes, I’m a casual collector; I collect them, but not as my primary hobby niche.
    I like VAMs always fun to look for.

• Options
    LeeBoneLeeBone Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2, 2018 8:58AM

 Yes, I’m a very active collector. I’m constantly upgrading my set, and/or I compete in registries, or otherwise very active (e.g., cherrypicking or collecting by VAM or Fivaz-Stanton number; and/or a member of the Silver Dollar Round Table or other dedicated group).

^^No,... maybe 10 years ago ^^^^

 Yes, I’m a casual collector; I collect them, but not as my primary hobby niche. (Includes type-set collecting.)

^^Yes, they are my primary focus but do collect Type coins also^^

I'm in between these two answers. Morgans are my prime focus and also do collect Type Set coins but I'm not what I consider to be an active collector. I've been basically at a standstill buyingwise with just a coin or two in the last year and have sold more than that in the same amount of time.

• Options
    FranklinHalfAddictFranklinHalfAddict Posts: 651 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zoins said:
    I like Morgans because there is such a great variety of them that you can find something interesting.

How on earth did that get a grade? It’s beyond artificial.

• Options
    metalmeistermetalmeister Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, for a time I couldn't get enough of them.

email: ccacollectibles@yahoo.com

100% Positive BST transactions
  • Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2, 2018 10:02AM

@Catbert @FranklinHalfAddict Our hosts graded the coin QC91. That being said, I still like it and the TrueView. It’s certainty different!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file