Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

First key or semi-key plucked from circulation?

lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 7,831 ✭✭✭✭✭

The other thread about Key Dates got me thinking. I started collecting coins when I was a kid, about 8 years old or so. My brother collected coins, so I naturally followed. The first series was Lincoln Cents collected from bank rolls. Wheat Cents were still plentiful in the late 1960's and my Whitman folders filled fairly quickly... but then stopped. The first semi-key (arguably) in the series I plucked from circulation was a pretty worn out 1924-D. This was enough to energize me to continue roll searches. The second was (if memory serves) a 1911-S. My folders remained dormant for a couple of years until I started mowing lawns and going to my local shop.

So, how about you? Has anyone been fortunate enough to have plucked the mythic 1909-S VDB from circulation?

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.

Comments

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I had DDO '55 cents from change when I was a kid.... They were the only 'key' coins from change... a lot of good one's found then, but not keys. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    No HeadlightsNo Headlights Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have found a few key date coins with my metal detector. So they were in circulation when they were lost

14-D penny
    01-S dime
    16-D dime
    95-O dime

• Options
    AuroraBorealisAuroraBorealis Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭✭✭

Fun stuff!

• Options
    BJandTundraBJandTundra Posts: 383 ✭✭✭✭

Found a 14-D Lincoln as a kid. D was very weak but it was there.

• Options
    Wahoo554Wahoo554 Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭✭✭

@No Headlights said:
    I have found a few key date coins with my metal detector. So they were in circulation when they were lost

14-D penny
    01-S dime
    16-D dime
    95-O dime

Would love to see photos of these finds!

• Options
    ElcontadorElcontador Posts: 7,422 ✭✭✭✭✭

Found a 32 S Quarter and a 24 S Nickel in circulation in the 1960s. Filled the entire Whitman Washington Quarters books with change finds except for the 32 D.

"Vou invadir o Nordeste,
    "Seu cabra da peste,
    "Sou Mangueira......."
  • Options
    david3142david3142 Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭✭✭

I found a 1933-D cent in a roll in the 1990s. Mintage was only 6.2MM. My Dad didn’t even have one in his Whitman folder!

• Options
    PTVETTERPTVETTER Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great stories
    Can’t say I found much in change or rolls

Pat Vetter,Mercury Dime registry set,1938 Proof set registry,Pat & BJ Coins:724-325-7211

• Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,704 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'll let the forum know if it ever happens.

• Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,727 ✭✭✭✭✭

My wife and I have received a 1912S and a 1924S cent in change. My mother found an EF 1913S cent buried in Our vegetable garden in the 1960s in Denver. I have it in a Dansco album. My aunt found an 1890CC Morgan dollar lying on the street in the 1950s or early 1960s. I have it in my collection.

Fun times.

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,945 ✭✭✭✭✭

Back in 1962 I was very active in roll searching, mostly cents and nickels. My best find, however, was in a quarter roll, which I rarely searched because the face value was too high for my budget. Out came a 1932-D quarter! Rather than keep it I took it to a coin club meeting and traded it for an 1861 Indian Head Cent.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,481 ✭✭✭✭✭

For me coming along a little bit later and not being around to coin search in the 1960s I would have to say that the two 1950-D nickels are my best keys from circulation.

In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options
    tychojoetychojoe Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭

Key dates? Nah - I'd remember that kind of thing. However in 2006, while sorting through 14,000 pennies, a nice 1910 cent in F was the oldest Lincoln that turned up. And my eyesight was never the same. :grimace:

• Options
    ernie11ernie11 Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭✭✭

Never been lucky enough. When I was a kid I could never find a 1950-D nickel in change, so I bought one in uncirculated condition. 22 years later, I bought a sandwich out of our vending machine at work for lunch, and an AU 1950-D nickel came back in change.

• Options
    ricmanricman Posts: 313 ✭✭✭

Roll searching for silver in late 60's produced an AU 1918S SLQ.

• Options
    OKbustchaserOKbustchaser Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭✭✭

Don't know...I would have had to actually search my pocket change to see which is something that I never did even as a child of the 50s/60s.

Pocket change was what I spent on my collection--not the collection itself.

Just because I'm old doesn't mean I don't love to look at a pretty bust.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file