Home Sports Talk

Would you pay $200 if the Super Bowl went pay-per-view?

CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

..commercial free.

Split up any way you choose with friends and neighbors?

Comments

• bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 28, 2018 12:11PM

no I pay like $25 a month for 3 streaming services total . I wouldnt pay $10 for the superbowl I might go to a bar and pay a cover to see it though

• LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nope, I'd pay to just see commercials, football-free, though.

• erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 28, 2018 12:37PM

Its 2018 and anyone still paying for any PPV sporting event needs to go ask their kids to show him how to use the internet. One HDMI cord later its on your 60" tv for free.

• stevekstevek Posts: 27,697 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not a chance.

• BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,333 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'll see the score the next day.

• 1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,242 ✭✭✭✭✭

There's a price that might work but it is not $200.

99 cents on iTunes might work, though..

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,461 ✭✭✭✭✭

Honestly yea I’d pay if it was the only way to watch it.

• BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,477 ✭✭✭✭✭

No. There have been some one-sided Super Bowl games that weren't worth a plug nickel. Unless you were rooting for the team on top, they are a huge bore.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

Why would I pay anything when I can watch it free on my 60" wide screen???!!!

@DIMEMAN said:
    Why would I pay anything when I can watch it free on my 60" wide screen???!!!

Amen!

• CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DIMEMAN said:
    Why would I pay anything when I can watch it free on my 60" wide screen???!!

You would be watching Kardashian reruns though if the SB went PPV.

• coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,764 ✭✭✭✭✭

no

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

A decade ago I would have. Have half a dozen friends drop by. They can bring the food and beer and the host covers the $200. I'd bump it to $250 if there was no halftime show. ;)

Haven't watched the whole game in 5 or 6 years now and will be online looking at coins for the next game.

• al032184al032184 Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭
    edited November 28, 2018 4:44PM

no

• BrickBrick Posts: 4,934 ✭✭✭✭✭

No way, Jose.

Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• tommyrusty7tommyrusty7 Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭✭

I would definitely WOULD NOT, just like I would not pay for the World Series even if my Red Sox were playing. When I see a player turn down a $300 million offer to play for the Nets I will not contribute.

• Gemyanks10Gemyanks10 Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭

Nope

Always looking for OPC "tape intact" baseball wax boxes, and 1984 OPC baseball PSA 10's for my set. Please PM or email me if you have any available.

It's been rumored for many years that the NFL may do this.

But I would be shocked if it ever happened. As stupid as the NFL is these days regarding certain matters, I doubt very much if they would ever want to interfere and change the public viewing of the greatest annual entertainment spectacle in American sports.

• garnettstylegarnettstyle Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭✭

I would pay $200 to watch Ohio State score 62 on Michigan :smiley:

IT CAN'T BE A TRUE PLAYOFF UNLESS THE BIG TEN CHAMPIONS ARE INCLUDED

@stevek said:
    It's been rumored for many years that the NFL may do this.

But I would be shocked if it ever happened. As stupid as the NFL is these days regarding certain matters, I doubt very much if they would ever want to interfere and change the public viewing of the greatest annual entertainment spectacle in American sports.

It'll happen.

• jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,511 ✭✭✭✭

no way

maybe if they had carrie underwood and advertised a major wardrobe misfunction at halftime

Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets
  • craig44craig44 Posts: 10,504 ✭✭✭✭✭

not even a chance. I could see the NFL airing it on the NFL network though.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

edited November 29, 2018 6:48AM

Well if they did that, I guess that evening i'd have to instead watch the Ed Sullivan show if it's still on.

• JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,208 ✭✭✭✭✭

I refuse to pay any amount for any sporting event.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,461 ✭✭✭✭✭

@tommyrusty7 said:
    I would definitely WOULD NOT, just like I would not pay for the World Series even if my Red Sox were playing. When I see a player turn down a $300 million offer to play for the Nets I will not contribute.

Contradicting myself I did say I would pay to see the Super Bowl, but what you posted is the exact reason I refuse to go to games and pay for watching games or special channels to see any game. I prodtitute Pro sports for my own enjoyment ie Fantasy Sports, relaxing ect and won’t pay anything to fund these stupid salaries and poor work ethic by these guys. But the Super Bowl has always been a good party that I always enjoy so for that I wouldn’t mind spending the money

Pretty soon the only TV programs that are free will be howdy doodie reruns which was the first tv program I watched back in 1948 as we had the only tv in the neighborhood at that time.

• MeshMesh Posts: 86 ✭✭✭

just watch everything for free on kodi

What is kodi?

@tommyrusty7 said:
    What is kodi?

https://kodi.tv/

Interesting, never heard of it before.

But then again, i just upgraded my old black & white TV to a used color TV using tubes that I bought off Craigs List.
    When i turn it on, there's some sort of smoke coming out the back, but other than that it's okay.

• BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,457 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

is pay per view even a thing still? The last pay per view I recall watching was a Tyson fight

• MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,602 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Coinstartled said:
    ..commercial free.

Split up any way you choose with friends and neighbors?

Impossible to have a commerical free super bowl. Therefore...you would have to endure long periods of nothing while the commercials ran.
    On the question...not a dime from me.

@bronco2078 said:
    is pay per view even a thing still? The last pay per view I recall watching was a Tyson fight

Phil/Tiger was ppv. Didn't go so well.

• BrickBrick Posts: 4,934 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't believe I would pay $200 for a ticket to the game.

Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• HallcoHallco Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭✭✭

I guess your a no then.

IT WILL NEVER HAPPEN! It would be the biggest case of shooting yourself in the foot EVER!!

• ParadisefoundParadisefound Posts: 8,588 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'll spend it on my Sports bar tap B)

• larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭

No chance.

• galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,128 ✭✭✭✭✭

a lot of nyets in this thread. when everyone comes together and pitches in, all of a sudden it's economically feasible and actually quite palatable.

coinstartled - $10
    bronco2078 - $10
    LarkinCollector - $10
    erickthredd - $10
    stevek - $10
    Bullsitter - $10
    1951WheatiesPremium - $10
    perkdog - $10
    BillJones - $10
    DIMEMAN (host & barista) - $10
    al032184 - $10
    garnettstyle - $10
    Gemyanks10 - $10
    jay0791 - $10
    galaxy27 - $0
    Brick - $10
    tommyrusty7 - $10
    MCMLVTopps - $10
    Hallco - $10
    Paradisefound - $10
    larryallen73 - $10

No way I would host this rowdy and unruly bunch ! Maybe @Paradisefound ……...but not the rest ! :D

@galaxy27 said:
    a lot of nyets in this thread. when everyone comes together and pitches in, all of a sudden it's economically feasible and actually quite palatable.

coinstartled - $10
    bronco2078 - $10
    LarkinCollector - $10
    erickthredd - $10
    stevek - $10
    Bullsitter - $10
    perkdog - $10
    BillJones - $10
    al032184 - $10
    garnettstyle - $10
    Gemyanks10 - $10
    jay0791 - $10
    galaxy27 - $0
    Brick - $10
    tommyrusty7 - $10
    MCMLVTopps - $10
    Hallco - $10
    Paradisefound - $10
    larryallen73 - $10

I'm in for $10 at Dimeman's mansion.

Heck, I'd pay $10 just to take a look at his magnificent coin collection. :)

@galaxy27 said:

coinstartled - $10
    bronco2078 - $10
    LarkinCollector - $10
    erickthredd - $10
    stevek - $10
    Bullsitter - $10
    perkdog - $10
    BillJones - $10
    al032184 - $10
    garnettstyle - $10
    Gemyanks10 - $10
    jay0791 - $10
    galaxy27 - $0
    Brick - $10
    tommyrusty7 - $10
    MCMLVTopps - $10
    Hallco - $10
    Paradisefound - $10
    larryallen73 - $10

I didn't see Grote on the list, but perhaps you figured correctly that he can't afford the $10. ;)

• ParadisefoundParadisefound Posts: 8,588 ✭✭✭✭✭

........... and we can get a HECK of a Party going <3

@stevek said:

@galaxy27 said:

coinstartled - $10
    bronco2078 - $10
    LarkinCollector - $10
    erickthredd - $10
    stevek - $10
    Bullsitter - $10
    perkdog - $10
    BillJones - $10
    al032184 - $10
    garnettstyle - $10
    Gemyanks10 - $10
    jay0791 - $10
    galaxy27 - $0
    Brick - $10
    tommyrusty7 - $10
    MCMLVTopps - $10
    Hallco - $10
    Paradisefound - $10
    larryallen73 - $10

I didn't see Grote on the list, but perhaps you figured correctly that he can't afford the $10. ;)

@galaxy27 hell I wouldn't pay $10 for cable with all of the best channels included. I'd bring my laptop to whose ever house we'd all be getting together at to watch the SB and set that game up for free. Then all those $10s from everyone would go towards the booze/food bill. ;)
    We could get Steve & Dime hammered then have them arm wrestle each other with the loser getting the Cowboys or Eagles logo shaved into their head....or we could wait till one passes out then do it anyways >:)

• galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,128 ✭✭✭✭✭

@erikthredd said:

We could get Steve & Dime hammered then have them arm wrestle each other with the loser getting the Cowboys or Eagles logo shaved into their head tattooed on their ass....or we could wait till one passes out then do it anyways >:)

i fancy that idea, but i had to amend it ever so slightly

@galaxy27 said:

@erikthredd said:

We could get Steve & Dime hammered then have them arm wrestle each other with the loser getting the Cowboys or Eagles logo shaved into their head tattooed on their ass....or we could wait till one passes out then do it anyways >:)

i fancy that idea, but i had to amend it ever so slightly

Loser gets a nice tramp stamp,maybe we'll add in the Giants logo too just for chits & giggles.

@erikthredd said:
    @galaxy27 hell I wouldn't pay $10 for cable with all of the best channels included. I'd bring my laptop to whose ever house we'd all be getting together at to watch the SB and set that game up for free. Then all those $10s from everyone would go towards the booze/food bill. ;)
    We could get Steve & Dime hammered then have them arm wrestle each other with the loser getting the Cowboys or Eagles logo shaved into their head....or we could wait till one passes out then do it anyways >:)

:o I would shave my arse and walk backwards before I would wear an Eagles logo ! B)

edited December 1, 2018 9:13PM

@DIMEMAN said:

@erikthredd said:

:o I would shave my arse and walk backwards before I would wear an Eagles logo ! B)

Yours would be extra special with the Eagles,Giants & Steelers too.

@erikthredd said:

<<< Eagles logo shaved into their head >>>

But I already have one there. Placing another on there might be considered tacky. LOL