Home Precious Metals
Options

Question about silver bullion maker

CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,548 ✭✭✭✭✭

What is the name of the private minter that uses an overlapping CC monogram on their bars, please?
Thanks,
TD

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.

Comments

• Options
    Jinx86Jinx86 Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭✭✭

1981 US Assay Office bars?

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,415 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Jinx86 said:
    1981 US Assay Office bars?

Continental Coin Company made these bars with the CC on the bar.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options

Had to find the page, Continental Coin.
    link

• Options
    WildIdeaWildIdea Posts: 1,875 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 25, 2018 2:26PM

Continental Coin? This one has the Foster mint eagle too, so I’m a little confused myself.

• Options

I was thinking these.

• Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

*Continental Coin (a private mint) purchased a large quantity of this silver and minted 1oz rounds and 10 and 100oz bars from it. They made sure that everyone knew it was made from silver that had been stored at the San Francisco Assay Office, to the point that some people buy these bullion products thinking they were minted by the U.S. Assay Office.

"Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Interesting information, thank you all for sharing !!! :)

Timbuk3
  • Options
    OKCCOKCC Posts: 521 ✭✭✭

@WildIdea said:

Continental Coin? This one has the Foster mint eagle too, so I’m a little confused myself.

Me too. Did Continental Coin add their logo to a Foster Mint produced bar after the fact, or did they produce bars for them, or ?

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,548 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thank you all

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,370 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 26, 2018 9:42AM

Unless I'm way mistaken, the San Francisco US Assay office actually did sell some bars with their stamp on it (and then later, some bags with silver granules), prior to 1981- around 1962-1963-1964 I believe. That's where the idea from these particular private bars came from.

Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

In the late 1960s, the Defense Logistics Agency had over 165 million ounces of silver in its stockpile. The government dumped a large amount of this silver on the open market in 1980 and 1981 to drive down silver prices after the Hunt brothers tried to corner the market.

"Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like that ten ounce bar.... simple design... good size.... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    rte592rte592 Posts: 1,448 ✭✭✭✭✭

Anyone else see those 2
    100 ounce 1981 US Assay Office bars on the bay with San Francisco or New York.
    First I've seen them.