Home U.S. Coin Forum

Another question about authenticity

Counterfeit coins are tough for me to spot and a friend just supposedly inherited these from her grandfather...I did some research but am thinking they are real. I just need a confirm incase she decides to sell them... thanks guys for all of this...

Comments

• yosclimberyosclimber Posts: 4,572 ✭✭✭✭✭

Fake.
    Look at shape of stars, and round vs. oval holes in the 8 in the date.
    You can buy Chinese fakes like this for cheap on ebay and alibaba.

• yosclimberyosclimber Posts: 4,572 ✭✭✭✭✭

1955 cent is a fake also. The underdigits on LIBERTY should be above.

Did you really do research, or are you trying to generate interest to sell these fakes?

• HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

Is this the duplicate post?

• I dont sell fake stuff I feel like that goes against everything collecting is about

• jafo50jafo50 Posts: 330 ✭✭✭

Try to use a different background when you take photos. Something like a grey, black or white should do nicely. For some reason I have the urge to play tic tac toe right now. :)

Successful BST transactions with lordmarcovan, Moldnut, erwindoc

• BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,427 ✭✭✭✭✭

It’s hard to believe that you friend’s grandfather had so many modern fakes. Usually old family hoards didn’t contain stuff like this. Also it is better if you photo one coin at a time in a close-up mode for authentication purposes.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?

@yosclimber said:

Fake.

Also the “LIBERTY” on the headband on the genuine coin is incuse - into the coin’s surface - not above the surface as it is on the fake.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • burfle23burfle23 Posts: 2,177 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would like to help but I am getting a headache trying to organize obverses to reverses and looking through the distracting background.

The 1873 looks to be similar to the large arrows variety, but the date and spacing look off.

The reverse that I assume is this coin is too blurry to tell anything.

• SoldiSoldi Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BillJones said:

@yosclimber said:

Fake.

Also the “LIBERTY” on the headband on the genuine coin is incuse - into the coin’s surface - not above the surface as it is on the fake.

Not to mention her whole head is Doofey Looking

• davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,759 ✭✭✭✭✭

The 1944 Mercury dime looks good ... worth a little over a dollar.

• OriginalDanOriginalDan Posts: 3,713 ✭✭✭✭✭

Trade Dollar is fake too.

• woogloutwooglout Posts: 200 ✭✭✭

@Soldi said:

@BillJones said:

@yosclimber said:

Fake.

Not to mention her whole head is Doofey Looking

She's got the sweetest little Adam's Apple too!

• blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭✭✭

All fake, every example you just listed is available from China via Bonanza.com

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

• AlexinPAAlexinPA Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭✭✭

Bad luck pard!

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Many appear to be fake... it is illogical that there would be so many fakes in an old collection...Cheers, RickO

@Charleshicks51 said:
    Counterfeit coins are tough for me to spot and a friend just supposedly inherited these from her grandfather...I did some research but am thinking they are real. I just need a confirm incase she decides to sell them... thanks guys for all of this...

@Charleshicks51 said:
    I dont sell fake stuff I feel like that goes against everything collecting is about

@Charleshicks51

I would recommend that you tell your friend that the coins are suspect; and have her take them to a reputable coin shop if she judges the free opinions from the knowledgeable folks on this forum as being insufficient.

• RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭

Take the items to a local coin dealer, or to a coin show and ask for their in-hand opinion. The pictured items all appear to be counterfeits of modern production. (The ones members have cropped and illustrated are all obvious fakes.)

• bjaminbjamin Posts: 141 ✭✭✭

Charles,
    What do you do for a living?

• AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,515 ✭✭✭✭✭

You are asking us to view the coins from pictures. Why not just send them all to PCGS and get them authenticated and graded? Certainly they are real and you have them in hand, right?

Good luck,
    bob :)
    PS: just join the Collectors Club and send them in.

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

The "1955/55" Lincoln is a really really laughable fake .

• BlindedByEgoBlindedByEgo Posts: 10,754 ✭✭✭✭✭

I posted last night in the correct thread- this is the duplicate post :)

"Sadly, most appear to be counterfeit. Straight outta China.

First, if you have access to them, check with a magnet. If they're not magnetic, then
    Second, open up the PCGS price guide and locate the date and type of coin. Click on the coin number on the far left. A coin facts page with photos will appear. Closely compare the details of her coins to the photos. Make sure that the date/ mintmark combination exists.
    Third, take them to a local coin shop that does PCGS submissions, and ask if they are worth submitting.

I recommend that when photographing the coins, do them one at a time, front and back, on a piece of white or black paper rather than a snuggly blanket."

• @Charleshicks51 said:
    I dont sell fake stuff I feel like that goes against everything collecting is about

Not sure what that has to do with anything ? They are not your coins apparently, your simply asking if they are real for a " friend"

@AUandAG said:
    You are asking us to view the coins from pictures. Why not just send them all to PCGS and get them authenticated and graded? Certainly they are real and you have them in hand, right?

Good luck,

Seems like quite an expense to verify they are fake; I agree with taking them to a reputable coin shop if you can't do the research with them in hand yourself.

• CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,499 ✭✭✭✭✭

@burfle23 said:

@AUandAG said:

Good luck,

Seems like quite an expense to verify they are fake; I agree with taking them to a reputable coin shop if you can't do the research with them in hand yourself.

Agreed. Don't throw good money after bad. Let a professional give you an informed opinion and thank them for their time.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Just to give everyone an update, I met this person online who seemed nice enough to maybe have something worth purchasing I used the term "friend" and shouldn't have. All in all it was like dealing with someone on a bad acid trip and not thebest experience I have had. I did learn from it and moving forward I will stick to what I know.

• CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,499 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you have learned from your experience then you are on the proper path to wisdom. Enjoy the journey!

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • abcde12345abcde12345 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭✭✭

Do any of them bounce?

• thefinnthefinn Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BillJones said:

@yosclimber said:

Fake.

Also, ALL 1838-O Bust Half Dollars are Proofs.

thefinn

@Charleshicks51 said:
    Just to give everyone an update, I met this person online who seemed nice enough to maybe have something worth purchasing I used the term "friend" and shouldn't have. All in all it was like dealing with someone on a bad acid trip and not thebest experience I have had. I did learn from it and moving forward I will stick to what I know.

Thanks for the update. I hope the experience you gained was not too costly. That numismatic tuition can be bear....

• No HeadlightsNo Headlights Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭✭✭

As was stated earlier it would be unusual for an old time collection to have this many modern fakes
    I’m concerned the grandfather is fake

@Regulated said:
    In my experience, everybody's grandfather was passing counterfeits.

Especially on eBay. This seems to be favorite line for scammers.

“I inherited these coins from my beloved grandpa. I don’t know how to grade coins so you have to use your expertise, but these coins mean a lot of me.”

• Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,624 ✭✭✭✭✭

Someone needs a digital scale, digital caliper and a magnet for starters. Our host provides excellent images of quality US coins to learn from. Learn and you shall be rewarded. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52

• davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,759 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Charleshicks51 said:
    Just to give everyone an update, I met this person online who seemed nice enough to maybe have something worth purchasing I used the term "friend" and shouldn't have. All in all it was like dealing with someone on a bad acid trip and not thebest experience I have had. I did learn from it and moving forward I will stick to what I know.

so a Craigslist scam?

• ashelandasheland Posts: 22,612 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think the Merc dime is the only one genuine! :D

@Charleshicks51 said:
    I did learn from it and moving forward I will stick to what I know.

Advice once given to me was "know what you collect, collect what you know"; as others noted here there is a wealth of information out there to broaden all of our knowledge bases if you have the time and inclination...

• AlexinPAAlexinPA Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭✭✭

Raw and important + much sought after = I stay away. :)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file