Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Is this real?

There is so much crap to sort through, I dont even know. Cant tell if this is a fake or not

Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    PhilLynottPhilLynott Posts: 881 ✭✭✭✭✭

A pretty bad fake. Stay away

• Options
    RayboRaybo Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yikes!

• Options

Can you tell me how you guys know so I dont have to keep posting this stuff.

• Options
    RayboRaybo Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭✭✭

The date.
    Take a look at an original 1808 Half Cent...is this another joke thread?

• Options
    giantsfan20giantsfan20 Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭✭

**Where did you obtain it? ** Really the color and details on the coin are too good for that age.

Did you do any form of RESEARCH before you got this or others?

Are you collecting half -cents?

• Options
    giantsfan20giantsfan20 Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 21, 2018 11:13PM

That one is obvious . :D The color is full througout the obverse and reverse lettering etc are too good for a coin of that age?
    is

TO op where did you obatain and did you any form of research before purchase.

You mean in your comment that you have similar **questionable material like this?

• Options

I was thinking about purchasing it off some guy in a dark ally

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,446 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like what's coming out of China these days. If you go to dhgate.com and aliexpress.com you can buy a wide variety of fake coins and fake bullion bars that are for sale from various Chinese merchants. These two sites are similar to eBay except larger and they are primarily direct sales rather than auctions. These two sites are well established and are quite legitimate. I've bought merchandise from these sites without any problems. If you buy from merchants using these sites you must register and give them your credit card number. When you buy something they hold your payment in escrow. Once you receive your merchandise and you tell them that you are satisfied with what you got, they will then release payment to the merchant. One dealer had fake large cents including a fake chain cent for about $7. It had a plain edge but was an otherwise good copy. I was tempted to buy it and use it as a pocket piece but I didn't want to reward their criminal behavior.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,487 ✭✭✭✭✭

The date on the genuine 1808 half cent is made > @Raybo said:

The date.
    Take a look at an original 1808 Half Cent...is this another joke thread?

The date on the genuine 1808 half cent (not the overdate) was made by punching two small “o” s on top of each other. It touches the bottom of the Bust. The Chinese (presumedly) tried to duplicate that, but the “8” is not as tall as the genuine one.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    rmorganrmorgan Posts: 249 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 22, 2018 10:55AM

@Charleshicks51 said:
    Can you tell me how you guys know so I dont have to keep posting this stuff.

I'm new at this, but I see a quality/feature that makes me think "fake." No one has yet mentioned it, so I'll say what seems like a clue.

I saw very inconsistent wear throughout the coin. The 'L' in liberty looks really worn, but other areas seem too detailed to be on a coin that would be that worn (the later letters in."Liberty," the crispness in the drape). The tops of LIBER seem worn much more than the rim next to those letters. On the reverse, the center and lower left seem much more worn than the fairly sharp details on the rest of that side. I've seen this before on a replica coin. It is as if the maker wants to give the illusion of wear while still showing some signs of the coin being in good condition.

Maybe I'm off, and if i am, someone correct me as I try to learn. But inconsistent wear seems like an observable quality that betrays a coin that is a fake or replica.

My strategy is about collecting what I intend to keep, not investing in what I plan to sell.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Clearly a fake.... well, clear to the practiced eye.... When considering coins, it is good to get the appropriate research material before buying. Sure, we can help also... but sometimes it is obvious with just a little research. Cheers, RickO

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file