Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

What has made you successful in Coin Business

Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,644 ✭✭✭✭✭

What factor has made your coin business successful or struggling?

Market forces, knowledge base, contacts, inventory, area of specialization?

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency

Comments

• Options
    edited November 20, 2018 1:44PM

One area would be technical skills. One fellow told me his photographic memory enabled him memorize greysheet pages....a lady said her study of acting helped her coin business.....

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

When I was a dealer, want list service and the fact that I marketed more Civil War tokens than anyone else at the local shows.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    Jinx86Jinx86 Posts: 3,672 ✭✭✭✭✭

Find what makes that customer excited, that makes them come back for more over and over. I like to work retail, however most of my earnings for the company are from wholesale buying and selling. Just wish there were more retail customers locally.

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Jinx86 said:
    Find what makes that customer excited, that makes them come back for more over and over. I like to work retail, however most of my earnings for the company are from wholesale buying and selling. Just wish there were more retail customers locally.

Cultivating retail customers is always a challenge. A lot of my business was selling to other dealers. A few of them used to say, “You are one of the few dealers who brings good stuff to these local shows.” That was only because I had contacts with a number of bigger dealers and was able to get the better material.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 20, 2018 2:39PM

Being a Collector First, Hard Work, Knowledge, Timing, Professional Photographic Skills, Contacts, Excellent Customer Service, and OCD.

• Options
    ARCOARCO Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭✭✭

Impulse buying...no wait, that is what has caused the most financial loss.

• Options

@BillJones
    Getting good material is not an issue. Its not having retail customers. I sell better at major shows, to mostly dealers than locally.

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 22, 2018 7:21AM

• Options
    OwenSeymourOwenSeymour Posts: 366 ✭✭✭✭

My mentors, the (coin-related) education I've received, my work ethic, and some luck

• Options
    PTVETTERPTVETTER Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭✭✭

Knowing when to walk away
    Understand you can’t win them all.
    Of course you need money more than hundreds

Pat Vetter,Mercury Dime registry set,1938 Proof set registry,Pat & BJ Coins:724-325-7211

• Options

Ebay

• Options
    COINS MAKE CENTSCOINS MAKE CENTS Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭✭✭

Being polite to customers and not judging people on there budget or what coins they want to collect!!! Never discourage people on what they collect just help them try to make the right decisions.

New inventory added daily at Coins Make Cents
    HAPPY COLLECTING

• Options
    MrSliderMrSlider Posts: 142 ✭✭✭

Thank you all for the contributions. I might add that for myself photo taking and imaging coins has been a huge. I’ve noticed a significant increase in business as my skills have improved, as most my retail sales are online.

https://tinyurl.com/wbuh7ba (Search PCGS on ebay)

• Options
    jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭✭✭

Integrity (trust) paying fair and selling fair, being honest which has led to countless referrals, (even helps in slow times)

knowing where to and how to get rid of things that come in

being able to identify cleaned, problem issues, but at same time recognize a gem when it presents itself.
    (not as great on varities as I would like to be, if I take the time to check, I can, but many times I forget or don't take the time)

• Options
    Aspie_RoccoAspie_Rocco Posts: 3,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

My eye for varieties has helped me immensely. Fees and capital have made things less than successful. I am not a dealer, more of a peddler I guess, reselling left overs and found varieties to fund my Jefferson (and new trade yen) addiction. I am persistent, so I hope in the long run things get better.

• Options
    edited November 20, 2018 7:19PM

@Aspie_Rocco said:
    My eye for varieties has helped me immensely. Fees and capital have made things less than successful. I am not a dealer, more of a peddler I guess, reselling left overs and found varieties to fund my Jefferson (and new trade yen) addiction. I am persistent, so I hope in the long run things get better.

That is how I started except I went for minor errors. Resold them for a profit to build my PayPal balance until I could buy a major error coin. Rinse and repeat. Over and over again endlessly.

• Options
    CCGGGCCGGG Posts: 1,267 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 20, 2018 7:48PM

I'm not a dealer, but I'm sure I've helped a lot of dealers with success in their business.

I actually had one dealer tell me at a coin show, that had just opened for the day, that if I buy all the coins that I had pulled from his cases to look at, that he was packing up early and going home (smiling all the way).

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,052 ✭✭✭✭✭

A dealer I know said his way "was buying low,selling high".

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    QCCoinGuyQCCoinGuy Posts: 326 ✭✭✭✭

Listening carefully and paying attention. Doesn’t hurt to have a good memory and interpersonal skills. This is aside from the obviously required coin knowledge.

• Options
    ilikemonstersilikemonsters Posts: 767 ✭✭✭✭

What's made me successful? Knowing what to spend, and not what to spend. Once I spent a 1909 S VDB...

• Options

I have found it’s good be cash rich and not buried in inventory.

• Options
    mr1931Smr1931S Posts: 5,978 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cultivating retail customers is always a challenge. A lot of my business was selling to other dealers. A few of them used to say, “You are one of the few dealers who brings good stuff to these local shows.” That was only because I had contacts with a number of bigger dealers and was able to get the better material.

This. I can see where having good fresh inventory available is a distinct advantage over other dealers.

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.-Albert Einstein

• Options
    DCWDCW Posts: 6,977 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ilikemonsters said:
    What's made me successful? Knowing what to spend, and not what to spend. Once I spent a 1909 S VDB...

Details?!

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• Options

@Cougar1978 said:
    I have found it’s good be cash rich and not buried in inventory.

For me, I need to have a large killer inventory to make my mark.

That said, also having a cash reserve and no coins on credit is a big plus.

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,523 ✭✭✭✭✭

being courteous and a keen eye. the rest should take care of itself

• Options
    VeepVeep Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭✭

There have been many keys to being successful. As the OP asked for one, I'd have to say that its been the same thing all of my life both in and out of coins -- There is no substitute for hard work.

"Let me tell ya Bud, you can buy junk anytime!"
  • Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭✭✭

Staying a collector and not dabbling in selling coins.

In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options
    RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not buying or selling coins.... :)

• Options
    RonyahskiRonyahski Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Regulated said:
    Mostly dumb luck.

Didn't realize you were on the dealer side. With whom?

Some refer to overgraded slabs as Coffins. I like to think of them as Happy Coins.
  • Options
    bidaskbidask Posts: 13,865 ✭✭✭✭✭

I help dealers by paying retail .

I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

Trying to stick with coins I would only keep for myself. Obviously that can't be 100% when you buy collections!

Last but not least being a straight shooter!

• Options
    RegulatedRegulated Posts: 2,992 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Ronyahski said:

@Regulated said:
    Mostly dumb luck.

Didn't realize you were on the dealer side. With whom?

Senior Numismatist at Kagin's.

What is now proved was once only imagined. - William Blake
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 22, 2018 8:35AM

Im a failure. Would you guys start a GoFundMe page ?

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

There are many ingredients to a successful business.... Funding and inventory are fundamental.... maintaining and growing a business depends on honesty and customer service...Good customer service will maintain a base and your reputation in this area will grow your business. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    skier07skier07 Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭✭✭

In today’s market being tech savvy is crucial. Coin shows are dying. Having an easy to navigate website with GREAT pictures is mandatory. It amazes me that dealers are selling 5 figure coins with pictures that look like they were taken by a 5 year old.

• Options
    Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭

Let's see I buy a silver nickel for$1.50, a dime for $1.10 a Quarter $2.75 a half dollar for $4.50 and a dollar for $13.50 I thank I'm doing good my wife thinks I am crazy so I think I'll keep doing it. Just to keep her on her toes.

But it's like every thing in life the harder you work the more you will make. There is no easy way to do it you may make it look easy but it's because you know how to do it. Hard work the harder you work the luckier you get.

Hoard the keys.
  • Options
    bigjpstbigjpst Posts: 3,034 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’ll be happy to share this information with you when and if I ever become successful. :)

• Options
    StratStrat Posts: 612 ✭✭✭

Great question! To be honest, I wasn't very successful as a dealer on my own, because I made a lot of mistakes early and often. When in doubt, I repeated those mistakes! Once I learned the value of wholesaling to other dealers at every show, I did a lot better, because I moved a lot more inventory and could make a profit too. Holding out for retail business never worked, but cultivating relationships with certain collectors over time did work. Finally, there was nothing better than placing coins in an active auction during a show that had strong collector attendance (Long Beach and Baltimore were my faves, but NOT during the summer time). My best decision though and most successful so far was to stop dealing, earn a Master's in Education, become a teacher and return to the collector ranks. I'm a lot happier in the long run, and have found that as a collector, it is a strength to be able to focus on a series or two. As a dealer, I felt compelled to look at every auction lot possible in every auction possible, and that just wears a body out, although I will say that there is nothing that hones your grading eye better than constantly looking at and evaluating coins.

• Options

Being cognizant what regular customers want.

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,215 ✭✭✭✭✭

The customer is never wrong.

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options

@derryb said:

I had a customer make over an hour drive so that I could tell him face to face his 1964 Kennedy was not from a special mint set.

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,215 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Jinx86 said:

@derryb said:

I had a customer make over an hour drive so that I could tell him face to face his 1964 Kennedy was not from a special mint set.

OK, the customer is almost always never wrong.

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file