Home Precious Metals
Options

$1 trillion USD....

VanHalenVanHalen Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭✭✭

....is the estimate for 2018 Christmas spending in the U.S.

Over $3,000 for every man, woman and child in the country. I'm dreaming of a green Christmas.

Comments

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,217 ✭✭✭✭✭

I wonder how much of that will be more debt.

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options
    blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,464 ✭✭✭✭✭

More debt for Chinese slave labor plastic crap. Semper Fi!, Happy holidays lol

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

• Options
    rte592rte592 Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭✭✭

I find that hard to believe, I keep hearing on the radio 1/3 of the people are on assistance.
    Must be some high rollers out there, again probably on assistance.

• Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

@rte592 said:
    I find that hard to believe, I keep hearing on the radio 1/3 of the people are on assistance.

Only goes to proof, don't believe in everything that you hear or read. ;)

"Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,217 ✭✭✭✭✭

@OPA said:

@rte592 said:

Even if it is your most reliable news source? LOL

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options
    cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,622 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 17, 2018 3:37PM

@derryb said:

@OPA said:

@rte592 said:

You really do have a reading comprehension issues, don't you?

Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• Options
    edited November 17, 2018 5:09PM

@derryb said:

@OPA said:

@rte592 said:

Derryb...I was not questioning the one trillion $, but the alleged 1/3 of the population being on assistance.
    Quote: "I keep hearing on the radio 1/3 of the people are on assistance."

Your response reminds me of ZH headlines with only selective & partial truths.

• Options
    DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 17, 2018 7:36PM

I highly , highly doubt that number as xmas monies alone. If their counting all regular grocery and normal day to day for 2solid months maybe, but to call it xmas/holiday spending is bs.

• Options
    VanHalenVanHalen Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DrBuster said:
    I highly , highly doubt that number as xmas monies alone. If their counting all regular grocery and normal day to day for 2solid months maybe, but to call it xmas/holiday spending is bs.

Published estimates of U.S. consumer spending for November and December 2018 are right at $3 trillion. $1 trillion of the $3 trillion total is being attributed to Holiday spending.

My four siblings each easily exceed to $3,000 average. I bet my sister exceeds $10k or is close. Me? Under $500, well under.

• Options

@FSF said:
    I think the 1/3 refers to the elderly as well. Obviously there are tens of millions of people receiving SS & Medicare benefits.

The $1 trillion is just total retail sales during the holiday season of which most of it would be spent anyway. It's a nice round number to report as clickbait since that's what journalism has become but it's by no means all due to Christmas presents. In fact, less than a quarter of it is.

I don't consider receiving SS benefits as Govt. Assistance. I paid into that fund for almost 50 years and now I'm reaping the benefits.

• Options
    DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭✭✭

I still can’t see it. Maybe counting all travel and such costs..I’m still stretched to think 3GS a person is holiday money for every person in the US as a whole. But if it’s 2 months solid and , say, I bought a turkey sandwich for lunch the other day and that counts as holiday spending since the food fits, well that’s misleading.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I certainly will come in on the low side of the $3K... My wife will likely exceed that ;) .... I have no idea what is included in that number... gifts of all sorts, wine and food for celebrations, alcohol sales... The devil is in the details... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

@OPA said:

@FSF said:
    I think the 1/3 refers to the elderly as well. Obviously there are tens of millions of people receiving SS & Medicare benefits.

The $1 trillion is just total retail sales during the holiday season of which most of it would be spent anyway. It's a nice round number to report as clickbait since that's what journalism has become but it's by no means all due to Christmas presents. In fact, less than a quarter of it is.

I don't consider receiving SS benefits as Govt. Assistance. I paid into that fund for almost 50 years and now I'm reaping the benefits.

No, but there are some double or even triple dippers (social security, pension, veterans benefits) that go on and on about "the unfair rigged system" and "takers on the gov. dole"

Interesting, huh

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry