Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Appearance of pitting on PCGS slabbed gun money half crown

I was perusing eBay and came across the PCGS MS63 Gun Money half crown pictured below. The obverse looks like it has pitting and even a hint of verdigris. Obviously, PCGS disagrees since there is not a detail designation. Can somebody explain what causes the pitted appearance and how you can differentiate it from actual pitting?

Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    BillDugan1959BillDugan1959 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

I saw that one on eBay too - the big thing is that these don't ever seem to come in top condition. These were emergency issues. Usually many problems. At least this one is priced a bit lower.

Another guy is offering a much nicer coin at $700+, but it has a single large pit in the word ''Jacobus". That seller is carefully trying to hide the problem from the viewers.

• Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 18, 2019 5:45PM

Your coin is severely corroded. Nevertheless, it is a very attractive coin. Honest
    The green spot is still "active." Perhaps PCGS will conserve it for you.

Here is the thing all of you should know by now, there are some "peeps" (Moi - That's French for stupid, unrealistic, nit-picking collector) and other "peeps" who actually judge a coin and are willing to overlook things the other "peeps" consider unacceptable. If we all only wanted perfect coins, a 1938-D nickel would cost more than I can say and few would collect Large cents!

This coin has character, eye-appeal, and history going for it. :wink:

• Options

I was high bidder on this for a while. But I won't be at the close of the evening.

If anybody knows the exact whereabouts of a copy of P. Timmons' 'Gunmoney' book, I am still looking.

• Options
    hookedoncoinshookedoncoins Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭
    edited November 11, 2018 9:45PM

@Insider2 said:
    Your coin is severely corroded. Nevertheless, it is a very attractive coin. Honest
    The green spot is still "active." Perhaps PCGS will conserve it for you.

I'm not disagreeing that it is an attractive coin. I was just curious why it did not receive a details grade if it is indeed corrosion. It sounds like PCGS may have granted some leniency since this series is an emergency issue. I also did not think PCGS slabbed coins with verdigris as the damage can increase over time. I guess it is possible the verdigris formed after being slabbed.

Edit: I looked up the certification number and the trueview shows the verdigris as well so it does not look like it formed after being slabbed.

• Options

The coin went from $218 to $504 with three seconds remaining.

• Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,868 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BillDugan1959 said:
    I was high bidder on this for a while. But I won't be at the close of the evening.

If anybody knows the exact whereabouts of a copy of P. Timmons' 'Gunmoney' book, I am still looking.

I discussed Gunmoney with Phil at a show in Birmingham UK when the book came out and have my copy here if you need anything from it.

• Options

@Boosibri Many thanks. I've been meaning to get a copy and believe the funds will be in hand this week or next. Should have done it before now.

• Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

The so-called “pitting” is mostly as made. These coins were struck on very crude planchets.

The corrosion at 7:30 is not bad enough to prevent a grade. Although I’m not a scientist, I believe it is stable for the foreseeable future and I would not worry too much about it. Of course, I would prefer that it wasn’t there.

Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options

Here's another one on eBay. The weakly struck areas give you a good idea what the planchets looked like before they were struck. BTW, it looks like a bargain. Someone here should probably snag it!

https://ebay.com/itm/1690-MARCH-IRISH-GUN-MONEY-HALF-CROWN-GREAT-CONDITION-C985-C/392170934002?hash=item5b4f358ef2:g:De4AAOSwcE9bQoDy:rk:1:pf:0

Andy Lustig

• Options
    Andy Lustig

• Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MrEureka said:
    Here's another one on eBay. The weakly struck areas give you a good idea what the planchets looked like before they were struck. BTW, it looks like a bargain. Someone here should probably snag it!

https://ebay.com/itm/1690-MARCH-IRISH-GUN-MONEY-HALF-CROWN-GREAT-CONDITION-C985-C/392170934002?hash=item5b4f358ef2:g:De4AAOSwcE9bQoDy:rk:1:pf:0

I don't know why I opened this thread but I put this seller on my saved seller list so it works for me :)

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,694 ✭✭✭✭✭

I believe the pitting may be as made..

• Options
    Que_sai_jeQue_sai_je Posts: 101 ✭✭✭

I thought it was a nice coin. I've had an awful lot of these and seen very few that can reasonably be called MS. The surfaces are even without major inclusions or casting holes, and the luster around the edges though subdued is nonetheless there and very unusual for these.