1

Here is another 1943 copper penny I am thinking about purchasing. What do you guys think? It weighs 3.09 grams and is non-magnetic, but it seems to have surface flaws that make me suspicious. Thanks.

Comments

  • KudbegudKudbegud Posts: 3,040 ✭✭✭✭✭





  • JBKJBK Posts: 3,464 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Ok sure, it is the surface flaws that make it suspicious. :#

  • PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 346 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Looks fake. A coin like this is usually slabbed by one of the major grading services before it's even considered for purchase since there are so many counterfeits of this coin. It looks like a real cent was struck with a counterfeit die based on the doubling visible on the rim. Since the 1943 cent is steel it can be hardened and used as a hub to create counterfeit dies to make fake 1943 copper cents and to also create fake mint error coins.

  • Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭✭

    Yeah that doubled rim action is not a good sign. Examine known attributed examples on our host site and the other tpgs. True view images will afford you plenty of detail to study. Weight alone is not enough to pull the trigger. Peace Roy

  • DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 16,938 ✭✭✭✭✭

    No comment. B)


    All Dimes All Varieties

    Coins for sale

    Canadian Dimes Set


    Washington Quarters All Varieties 32-64


    >RIP -image Rebecca 2004-2018...If love could have saved you - you would have lived forever<
  • KkathylKkathyl Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Might pay double face value.

  • topstuftopstuf Posts: 11,192 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @Kkathyl said:
    Might pay double face value.

    Plus shipping? Or shipping included? :D

  • KkathylKkathyl Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Hmm. IDK dog. Local pickup.

  • SoldiSoldi Posts: 329 ✭✭✭

    What is that ? Close 3 to rim variety. That coin is fake.

    Passing false coin is against the law. :) :D

  • BillJonesBillJones Posts: 26,355 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Big, broad rim ... uneven strike ...

    It looks like a Chinese import to me.

    Might pay double face value.

    Yes, that would be a fair price, but only if the guy who is selling to you pays the postage. :p

    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible.
  • rickoricko Posts: 61,618 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @dust3110.... Welcome aboard.... As far as the cent, it is not authentic... do not waste your money. Cheers, RickO

  • silverpopsilverpop Posts: 4,371 ✭✭✭✭

    fake

  • JBKJBK Posts: 3,464 ✭✭✭✭✭

    So what you are all saying is that it could be real? ;) :D

  • BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Just by the "look" of the coin with all of the above comments included, It is a counterfeit example.

    There are literally thousands of these floating around, including genuine coins that were re-colored to look like copper. Just because yours does not stick to a magnet does not mean it is genuine.

    Pete

    "I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 346 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Something to be aware of are 1948 cents where the 8 is tooled to create a 3. Some are quite well done while others are fairly crude. These fakes will always pass the magnet test. ;)

  • topstuftopstuf Posts: 11,192 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @PerryHall said:
    Something to be aware of are 1948 cents where the 8 is tooled to create a 3. Some are quite well done while others are fairly crude. These fakes will always pass the magnet test.

    The 14-D's that I made as a kid were 1944-D's. never tried smashing out the date with a magnet though. :p

  • BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @topstuf said:

    @PerryHall said:
    Something to be aware of are 1948 cents where the 8 is tooled to create a 3. Some are quite well done while others are fairly crude. These fakes will always pass the magnet test.

    The 14-D's that I made as a kid were 1944-D's. never tried smashing out the date with a magnet though. :p

    Did you also remove the V.D.B. ?

    You GOTTA do that!

    Pete

    "I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • topstuftopstuf Posts: 11,192 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @BuffaloIronTail said:

    @topstuf said:

    @PerryHall said:
    Something to be aware of are 1948 cents where the 8 is tooled to create a 3. Some are quite well done while others are fairly crude. These fakes will always pass the magnet test.

    The 14-D's that I made as a kid were 1944-D's. never tried smashing out the date with a magnet though. :p

    Did you also remove the V.D.B. ?

    You GOTTA do that!

    Pete

    Removing the VDB always dulled my pocketknife. Switching to a liddle screwdriver didn't help much. :#

  • PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 346 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Sharpsters would also take 1959-D nickels and remove the tail on the 9 which was fairly small in relation to the loop in the 9 to create a 1950-D nickel. The results weren't very convincing to an experienced coin collector..

  • I wouldn’t bet one cent on that coin being genuine.

  • ARCOARCO Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭

    I am emptying out my 401k now, where can I send the bank wire?

  • ashelandasheland Posts: 10,648 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sign In or Register to comment.