Home Precious Metals
Options

Silver Bullion buyers - Questions about poured silver

ARCOARCO Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited November 7, 2018 6:13PM in Precious Metals

A recent video link to customized, hand poured silver bars really piqued my interest in buying silver bullion. It must be the collector in me that wants little works of art. However, poured silver bars generally have a huge markup over spot. Looking at a dozen or so specialty bullion producers last night and today, there was a lot to enjoy, but the prices go against conventional wisdom about buying bullion as close to spot as possible.

1) How popular are poured silver rounds, bars and the other various shapes/designs?
2) When purchased, do they ever sell with any of the premium over spot originally paid?
3) Are poured silver bars purchased in smaller quantities as gifts or personal splurges, or do stackers buy in larger quantities?
4) How do retail brick and mortar shops view / price the bars (I think I know the question to this, but wanted to ask).

Are bullion buyers here focused more on the bang for the buck, or is paying more (a lot more % over spot) for really neat and individualized bullion products something that posters here are willing to pay for?

Gracias,

Tyler

Comments

• Options
    Jinx86Jinx86 Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭✭✭

1- very popular, everyone wants cool things.

2- rarely would these appreciate

3- both

4- depends who they are and what they are selling. Also helps if they bought it from me.

Overall I'd say buy what makes you happy. Paying a premium for a killer paper weight is well within the budget.

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,446 ✭✭✭✭✭

Are there poured silver rounds? I've only seen struck silver rounds.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    ARCOARCO Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 8, 2018 7:41AM

@PerryHall said:
    Are there poured silver rounds? I've only seen struck silver rounds.

They are poured round, tops are rounded, sometimes struck after pour, sometimes not.

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 8, 2018 6:54AM

It all stacks the same.

Of course I poured my own. I would not recommend the refining process. As to prices and premiums ? Like sentimental value... most of it is perceived. Intrinsic remains the same.
    Guys wanna Pay more because of a fad or believing the collector value will keep rising ? That's their business. I think we are spoiled with abundance. I've not poured any into round molds, as of yet. Maybe one day.

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,695 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm guilty of paying more for poured silver for the coolness factor. Sometimes you get your premium back, sometimes not.
    If you are at the right B&M at the right time, you can buy it for normal premiums, patience helps...

My advice, get something poured, even if you pay a little extra. They are fun to collect...

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,695 ✭✭✭✭✭

I got this earlier in the week:
    I paid around $23 an ounce for it. (Shipping included) I don’t regret it one bit!

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

If stacking as a safeguard, stick to coins. If accumulating art bars, pay the premium and enjoy them. Ready liquidity will always be with coins. There is a collector market for poured bars, and many here show them. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    zski123zski123 Posts: 256 ✭✭✭

Paying a premium for hand poured is frivolous IMHO. I guarantee you the premium on hand poured closes in a New York minute during a recession or spike in silver due to economic concerns. The premiums will only exist in a time when silver is actually depressed. If you have hand poured silver and aren't attached to it, I'd sell it then convert to rounds or low premium coins.

• Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,382 ✭✭✭✭✭

Joe, what is that all about? :)

Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

As Bongo said it in his thread: Just substitute "bar" for coin.

"If you buy what you like, at a price you can afford at the time, then things will be easier. If you buy what other people like, borrow to fund it and expect multiple of return, then you are likely to be unhappy. Bongo say nearly everything depreciates over time. Bongo would not pay $500 for a silver bell this Christmas and expect it to be worth $550 next year, but Bongo knows a Silver Bell is not old coin. Or is it? Bongo maybe not surprised that old coin is like any other limited non essential commodity and subject to the whims of taste and market. Put the coin in book and enjoy it. If it is worth more when you come to sell it, well done. If not, then you have had enjoyment out of it. Remember that old coin is only worth a few dollars in physical material value – This is why value is an esoteric concept in many ways and it may be vulgar to assign any monetary value to old coin unless you are a Russian Oligarch or Chinese shoddy goods factory owner."

Personally, I would not pay a premium for a hand poured bar.

"Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."