Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1894-S Morgan Dollar - Contemporary Counterfeit?

ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,542 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have an 1894-S Morgan Dollar which was bagged by PCGS as counterfeit. The coin has the correct weight (26.7g) so I wonder if this was contemporary counterfeit. Also, any guesses on how it was produced? Die transfer? The details look somewhat "fatter" and "mushier" than a genuine coin.

Comments

• Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would be surprised if it were a contemporary counterfeit if the weight is correct and it is also 90% silver.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,540 ✭✭✭✭✭

Modern chinese junk.

bob :)

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    rte592rte592 Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭✭✭

I assume it doesn't stick to a magnet.
    How's the dia and thickness?
    They are usually a bit smaller in dia and thicker.
    Probably made from brass.

• Options
    BlindedByEgoBlindedByEgo Posts: 10,754 ✭✭✭✭✭

Seems to me that a "contemporary counterfeit" would be sub-weight (and perhaps corrupted material), as the whole purpose of period counterfeits was to a) pass easily in commerce and b) cost less to produce than face value.

Of course, I could be wrong... But I don't think so.

• Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

@AUandAG said:
    Modern chinese junk.

My feelings too.

• Options
    dcarrdcarr Posts: 8,008 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BlindedByEgo said:
    Seems to me that a "contemporary counterfeit" would be sub-weight (and perhaps corrupted material), as the whole purpose of period counterfeits was to a) pass easily in commerce and b) cost less to produce than face value.

At the time, the free market price of the silver content in a Morgan Dollar was about 35 to 50 cents. Many of the micro-o and "family" vintage counterfeits contain MORE silver than standard because the weight is close to correct and they are sterling (.925) fine.

PS:
    My opinion, based on the pictures, is that the OP coin is a modern manufacture and does not contain any silver.

• Options

@dcarr said:

@BlindedByEgo said:

At the time, the free market price of the silver content in a Morgan Dollar was about 35 to 50 cents. Many of the micro-o and "family" vintage counterfeits contain MORE silver than standard because the weight is close to correct and they are sterling (.925) fine.

PS:
    My opinion, based on the pictures, is that the OP coin is a modern manufacture and does not contain any silver.

I wonder why the weight (26.7g) is correct then? Would they bother to get the alloy of non-silver metal to weigh the same as a genuine coin?

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Those who produced the coin would want it to be as close to authentic as possible...Do the diameter and thickness check out as well?? Have the metal analyzed...Cheers, RickO

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,564 ✭✭✭✭✭

The wear patterns on it look intentional rather than from actual circulation. I would say modern counterfeit.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,705 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'll bet that if you give it an acetone bath, all the "aging" will come right off.

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd say that it is a modern Chinese product with a nice layer of their fake shoe polish type stuff to make it look "old." Another piece of Chinese excrement that is better made than some.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    ElKevvoElKevvo Posts: 4,064 ✭✭✭✭✭

I wonder why the weight (26.7g) is correct then? Would they bother to get the alloy of non-silver metal to weigh the same as a genuine coin?

If your going to spend the time engraving the die to fool people you might as well toy with the alloy to get the right weight too I would think. The goal is to pass the item off as genuine in looks and feel which includes the weight.

K

ANA LM
  • Options

@messydesk said:
    I'll bet that if you give it an acetone bath, all the "aging" will come right off.

I did that about 10 years ago, and it pretty much had no effect (except to remove a tiny amount of PVC from storage in a crappy flip). Well, at the end of the day it was a relatively cheap ($40) learning experience.

• Options
    RittenhouseRittenhouse Posts: 565 ✭✭✭

• Options
    IrishMikeyIrishMikey Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭

This is a better quality Chinese counterfeit. They have used an 'S' mint reverse for other dates, as well. There is some extra metal around and between OF on the reverse, which your coin appears to have. Another diagnostic is the "fishtail" effect on the bases of the letters in UNITED STATES OF AMERICA. I would keep it for reference, unless you can return it to the seller and get your money back.

• Options

@IrishMikey said:
    This is a better quality Chinese counterfeit. They have used an 'S' mint reverse for other dates, as well. There is some extra metal around and between OF on the reverse, which your coin appears to have. Another diagnostic is the "fishtail" effect on the bases of the letters in UNITED STATES OF AMERICA. I would keep it for reference, unless you can return it to the seller and get your money back.

Unfortunately, the seller does not have a 12 year return privilege. Although if I ever sold someone a coin that turned out to be fake and they tracked me down after 12 years, I would take it back for their perseverance!

• Options
    BlindedByEgoBlindedByEgo Posts: 10,754 ✭✭✭✭✭

@dcarr said:

@BlindedByEgo said:

PS:

So, even at full weight the contemporary counterfeit, if produced cheaply enough, passes both my a) and b) rationale above.

• Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,705 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BlindedByEgo said:

@dcarr said:

@BlindedByEgo said:

PS:

So, even at full weight the contemporary counterfeit, if produced cheaply enough, passes both my a) and b) rationale above.

Yes, and if produced with stolen Sterling silver, the cost of materials goes down further.

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,694 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like a modern counterfeit to me.

• Options
    blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,464 ✭✭✭✭✭

@AUandAG said:
    Modern chinese junk.

Ditto

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

• Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭✭✭

May not want to buy raw collector coins from now on.

• Options
    ParadisefoundParadisefound Posts: 8,588 ✭✭✭✭✭

I learnt a great deal here....Thank you all.

• Options
    morgansforevermorgansforever Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭✭✭

Modern Chinese junk, complete with artificial wear n grime.

World coins FSHO Hundreds of successful BST transactions U.S. coins FSHO
  • Options

@Smudge said:
    May not want to buy raw collector coins from now on.

Lol I bought that coin 12 years ago and have bought well over 1000 raw coins since 😆

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file