Home U.S. Coin Forum

No Coin Magazines at the Grocery Store

philographerphilographer Posts: 1,310 ✭✭✭✭✭

Occasionally I check various magazine racks to see if they hold “Coinage” or “Coins” or other coin-related periodicals. More of a gut check on what’s popular and what’s not these days.

Nope. Haven’t seen any for sale lately.

Guess the world has other interests:

He who knows he has enough is rich.

Comments

• blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭✭✭

They have coin magazines? Never saw one, except the greysheet but not sure that could be considered a magazine.

Chickens are good, nothing wrong with managing your own food supply. I suggest reading up if you don't already have your own flock.

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

• SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,873 ✭✭✭✭✭

What’s a magazine?
    What are you like 28?

;)

• StrikeOutXXXStrikeOutXXX Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yea, our local Walmart pulled them in the spring, silver lining though is a Coins subscription saved be 50% from Walmart

------------------------------------------------------------

"You Suck Award" - February, 2015

Discoverer of 1919 Mercury Dime DDO - FS-101
  • ColonialcoinColonialcoin Posts: 618 ✭✭✭✭

@philographer said:
    Occasionally I check various magazine racks to see if they hold “Coinage” or “Coins” or other coin-related periodicals. More of a gut check on what’s popular and what’s not these days.

Nope. Haven’t seen any for sale lately.

Guess the world has other interests:

“Inside your cat’s mind” Seriously?? I have a hard enough time figuring out what is in my mind! ;)

• CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

At least the cat magazine has ads for litter. Better than over dipped and cleaned coins.

• CoinosaurusCoinosaurus Posts: 9,614 ✭✭✭✭✭

Saw the Numismatist at a newsstand many years ago. Not today.

• DRUNNERDRUNNER Posts: 3,791 ✭✭✭✭✭

Strictly and simply a matter of sales/popularity/available space. I would doubt there would be any bias against the numismatic community . . . .it is just a matter of available space and large amounts of niche subjects . . .

Drunner

• tyler267tyler267 Posts: 1,233 ✭✭✭✭

I'm surprised they sold them for as long as they did, I used to subscribe to Coinword and NN, now I get all the hobby info I want on the internet.

• thefinnthefinn Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭✭✭

My dad used to pick me up a copy of COINage every once in a while. Coin-topic magazines have been missing for more than 10 years at any store I have looked in - probably more like 20. It is a very small community, and when space is limited, you stock what sells. The internet has all but killed magazines except for those for soon-to-be brides and celebrity gossip.

thefinn
  • Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

In my neck of the woods, coin magazines are available only at book stores, if you can find one !!! :'(

Timbuk3
  • No HeadlightsNo Headlights Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭✭✭

Coin collectors are by and large a frugal group. My guess they go the internet route or subscribe.

• hchcoinhchcoin Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭✭✭

It would be interesting to poll how many people here actually subscribe to Coins, Coinage, Numismatic News (NN) or Coin World anymore. I stopped my subscription to NN years ago.

• CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,499 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have not ben asked to write anything for COINage for months. You may look at this as you please.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • goldengolden Posts: 9,017 ✭✭✭✭✭

I dropped my subscriptions about a year ago.

• ernie11ernie11 Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've never seen them in a grocery store around here, but my local Barnes and Noble bookstore still carries several.

• Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,620 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sign of the digital age. I just picked up 1931 and 1934 issues of "The Star", Max Mehl's coin catalogues. Chocked full of interesting info on the history of coinage as seen thru the eyes of Mehl. Photos and sketches of assorted coins. Cost and value are a hoot given the years. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52

• TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

You live in a very strange area

Frank

BHNC #203

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Barnes & Noble carries them in this area.... The local supermarket stopped carrying firearm magazines, so did the drugstore. I told the market manager to bring them back or I would shop at another market... Two are back so far....I usually subscribe, so the threat is really a matter of principle. Cheers, RickO

• jafo50jafo50 Posts: 330 ✭✭✭

My local library carries current copies of some coin magazines which you can check out for a week at a time.

Successful BST transactions with lordmarcovan, Moldnut, erwindoc

• BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 29, 2018 6:43AM

@philographer do those hobby magazines also cover collecting slabbed cats & chickens or just raw ones?

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • ARCOARCO Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭✭✭

I used to be able to find coin magazines and coin price magazines at almost any larger grocery store just a few years back. Now, they are nowhere to be found. Barnes and Noble is the only place now.

• BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,427 ✭✭✭✭✭

@AUandAG said:
    My grocery chain removed them too. When I asked the Manager why, she said they did that because the coin community supports the NRA.............no kidding.

bob :(

She probably learned that bit of misinformation in high school or college.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,794 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 30, 2018 2:16PM

Maybe we should drop off old issues of our magazines at the doctor's office, the dentist office, WalMart / and or rest stop restrooms,(or VA hospital waiting areas), to increase interest.
    Well that's one way to get the news out, since we don't find them in newsstands. Somebody's gotta promote ! I may as well.

No spam intended.

• ElKevvoElKevvo Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CaptHenway said:
    I have not ben asked to write anything for COINage for months. You may look at this as you please.

Well with spelling like that I am not surprised! ;) Seriously I can only find them at my local bookstore...have not been able to get one at the supermarket in quite a few years. The decline in the collector base along with most info available online makes the magazines somewhat obsolete. I do get 'The Numismatist' every month and will read most of the articles.

K

ANA LM
  • santinidollarsantinidollar Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭✭✭

You can’t find a magazine where I live except in your mailbox.

• philographerphilographer Posts: 1,310 ✭✭✭✭✭

@santinidollar said:
    You can’t find a magazine where I live except in your mailbox.

Perhaps a subscription to “Chickens” is in order then! 😜

He who knows he has enough is rich.

• hchcoinhchcoin Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TwoSides2aCoin said:
    Maybe we should drop off old issues of our magazines at the doctor's office, the dentist office, WalMart / and or rest stop restrooms,(or VA hospital waiting areas), to increase interest.
    Well that's one way to get the news out, since we don't find them in newsstands. Somebody's gotta promote ! I may as well.

No spam intended.

That is a great idea.

• ParadisefoundParadisefound Posts: 8,588 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 30, 2018 7:19PM

They will definitely use it for bon fire around here :p
    Surfs UP

@TwoSides2aCoin said:

No spam intended.

• ElmhurstElmhurst Posts: 768 ✭✭✭

@AUandAG said:
    My grocery chain removed them too. When I asked the Manager why, she said they did that because the coin community supports the NRA.............no kidding.

Let us know the chain and we will take our business elsewhere.

• AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,515 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 30, 2018 8:27PM

@Elmhurst -Smiths or King Soopers (same company).

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file