Home U.S. Coin Forum

I got smoked on my bid for an NGC 2.1 Old Holder, $2.5 gold.

Wabbit2313Wabbit2313 Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

I snipped at $1650, more than double full PCGS retail. DENIED! I even tried to buy it early to no avail. Buyer paid full MS-64 auction value.

I did have a chance to educate the seller about what these are though. (Last week) He asked, "why have I gotten so many emails and calls about this coin"? I told him why. I then offered my $1650, but he said he would let it run it's course. As a collector of these, and in this market, this price was shocking, even to me.

Comments

• ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 16, 2018 8:43AM

@Walkerfan said:
    It's nice and all but I never would have wanted it for that kind of money, especially since it's a 62. I usually don't buy MS coins that are graded below 63. Maybe because it's gold it has garnered more attention? Don't feel bad....Live to bid another day. JMHO.

Here, part of the price is for the holder.

• SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭

Where's the crust? For that $ I want some crust or at least a nice deep toning.

• WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,957 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zoins said:

@Walkerfan said:
    It's nice and all but I never would have wanted it for that kind of money, especially since it's a 62. I usually don't buy MS coins that are graded below 63. Maybe because it's gold it has garnered more attention? Don't feel bad....Live to bid another day. JMHO.

Here, part of the price is for the holder.

Of course, I know that. But all things considered; I still don’t think it was a good deal.

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• scubafuelscubafuel Posts: 1,734 ✭✭✭✭✭

That one will look nice with a gold sticker stuck to it!

• WildIdeaWildIdea Posts: 1,875 ✭✭✭✭✭

I wouldn’t rely on a price guide to pin an auction price at any certain level. Public sale, nice coin, scarce holder and lots of money floating around. This makes for an almost certainty that there is someone out in the world with way more appetite than me to pay more than I’m comfortable with.

• ashelandasheland Posts: 22,681 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would love a gold piece in one of those white holders!

• PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,399 ✭✭✭✭✭

What will this coin be worth after it gets a gold CAC sticker?

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• coinkid855coinkid855 Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭

That looks like a 2.0, not a 2.1.

• SeattleSlammerSeattleSlammer Posts: 9,955 ✭✭✭✭✭

That’s a lot ... but it is a cool slab and may be gold bean bound. And perhaps it’s a collector who just wants to hold it for years and take it out for show and tell at family gatherings. :smile:

• Wabbit2313Wabbit2313 Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

@coinkid855 said:

I don't see a shadow.

• ParadisefoundParadisefound Posts: 8,588 ✭✭✭✭✭

The hammer you usually see on Heritage Auction ...... good you didn't pursue it at that price. Thank you for sharing :)

@Wabbit2313 said:

@coinkid855 said:

I don't see a shadow.

Trust me, it's a 2.0.

• oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,892 ✭✭✭✭✭

I can't tell you how many of these type holders I sent in for crossover consideration to our host.
    She is a beauty!

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...

I'll trust you now since I didn't win! :):)

I still don't see the shadow and the coin shop person said the gold was inside not out. If he was wrong, I am REALLY happy I didn't win!

@PerryHall said:
    What will this coin be worth after it gets a gold CAC sticker?

Not as much as he paid! And if it is not in fact a 2.1, forget about it.

• KkathylKkathyl Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭✭✭

Was that a slanted 5 too. Sorry you cant win them all.

Best place to buy !
    Bronze Associate member

• astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭

@coinkid855 said:

@Wabbit2313 said:

@coinkid855 said:

I don't see a shadow.

Trust me, it's a 2.0.

Yes ... it is a 2.0. No chance it's a 2.1. It's too large and there is a shadow. Still a nice coin in a collectible holder.

Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • Peace_dollar88Peace_dollar88 Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭✭✭

nice coin. the market for 2.1 and 2.0s are ever increasing. They keep going up. that's a 2.0 for sure. I have 2.0s with lower submission numbers than that one.

• BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,479 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 16, 2018 1:55PM

The old gold inlay logo NGC holders are like the PCGS Old Green Label holders. A fair number of them are conservatively graded, some of them just make the grade and a few got a push to make the grade.

This 1878 7 over 8 tail feather dollar is an example. It was in an old gold inlay NGC holder as an MS-63. The big gouge to the left of Ms. Liberty’s eyebrow could put that grade in jeopardy. You can't assume that something is a good deal just because it is in an old generation holder.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?

I have a gold foil reverse slab, but it's on the outside and the label isn't white. Some transition slab I suppose...

@asheland said:
    I have a gold foil reverse slab, but it's on the outside and the label isn't white. Some transition slab I suppose...

That's just a normal 3.0 slab. If it had the stamp on the INSIDE, that would make it a transitional error.

@coinkid855 said:

@asheland said:

That's just a normal 3.0 slab. If it had the stamp on the INSIDE, that would make it a transitional error.

Thank you!

• astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭

@asheland said:

Dang ... you had me really excited there for a moment! I thought it was a new transition variety! LOL :)

Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • KccoinKccoin Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice looking $2.5 . Hope the winner keeps holder intact

• Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like it, I hope the new owner sends it in to CAC !!! :)

Timbuk3
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like a heck of a premium for a slab... I know old generation slabs are collectible, however, that looks like they could be buried, unless it gets a gold CAC sticker. Cheers, RickO

• jwittenjwitten Posts: 5,075 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was a bidder on this one, but it went WAY above what I wanted to pay.

• Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,612 ✭✭✭✭✭

Many have upgrade potential.

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • ParadisefoundParadisefound Posts: 8,588 ✭✭✭✭✭

Holly smokes

• Looks like it's back up for auction again. Ebay auction # 253954830409 ending tonight.
    Let's see what it goes for this time?

• KollectorKingKollectorKing Posts: 4,820 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 4, 2018 12:08PM

@oldrattler said:
    Looks like it's back up for auction again. Ebay auction # 253954830409 ending tonight.
    Let's see what it goes for this time?

Is my slab the same as the above one?

• KyleKyle Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 4, 2018 12:12PM

Nope @KollectorKing - Your coin is in an NGC 3.0 holder, whereas the one in the eBay listing is an NGC 2.1.

The NGC 3.0 has the NGC logo and border on the insert.

Successful BST Transactions With: tonedase, streg2, airplanenut, coindeuce, vibr0nic, natetrook, Shrub68, golden, Lakesammman, drddm, Ilikecolor, CoinJunkie, wondercoin, lablover
  • KollectorKingKollectorKing Posts: 4,820 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Kyle said:
    Nope @KollectorKing - Your coin is in an NGC 3.0 holder, whereas the one in the eBay listing is an NGC 2.1.

Thanks!

• CuKevinCuKevin Posts: 1,690 ✭✭✭✭

@Kyle said:

I am not certain, but I agree with the crowd that believe it to be a 2.0.

Choice Numismatics www.ChoiceCoin.com

CN eBay

All of my collection is in a safe deposit box!

If it was returned, which it looks like it was, it should hurt the next sale since the upgrade folks don't trust it now. I sure don't as the guy who thought it was worth $2200 sent it back.

• jtlee321jtlee321 Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 4, 2018 4:25PM

I think you got lucky the first time around. The reason it was returned (most likely) is that it is a 2.0 and not a 2.1. I can see the shadow. I've taken a screen capture of the large image above and enhanced the contrast. You can see show elements on both the right and left sides of the gold foil.

• SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭

Same coin, same seller now at about $950.

• Peace_dollar88Peace_dollar88 Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow still ended strong!

• jwittenjwitten Posts: 5,075 ✭✭✭✭✭

I got outbid.... AGAIN, lol

• JasonGamingJasonGaming Posts: 926 ✭✭✭✭

How much did it end at? @jwitten

Always buying nice toned coins! Searching for a low grade 1873 Arrows DDO Dime and 1842-O Small Date Quarter.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file