Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Grade my pawn shop find! 1902 S Morgan

Found this earlier and thought it was a good price for the grade. I found another 1902 S about 2 years ago at another pawn that graded at an AU58. This one IMO is also AU but lower. The original luster is still present and it looks nice in hand. What do you guys think on grade?

Comments

• Options
    Spartcom5Spartcom5 Posts: 392 ✭✭✭

I'm noticing some green like color on the right wing, might this be PVC? I need to give it an acetone bath still.

• Options
    blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,446 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks to be xf45 to me. Could get a 50 if the grader was "feeling" generous that day. Puts my VF30 to shame for sure. Congrats!

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

• Options
    edited October 15, 2018 5:06PM

@Wabbit2313 said:
    I grade it counterfeit but hope I am wrong. No one can disagree anymore so there!

I noticed that the 2 looked off but I didn't think anything of it. Never occurred to me it could be fake but who knows.I hope not...

Edit: 1. Breen-5693, VAM-I, 2. Uncirculateds are usually weak and often on striated blanks. The "filled 2" coins (VAM-I, late) have die chipped between upper base and middle curve of 2.

• Options
    lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was leaning xf40 details with what looks like PVC spots (the dark green on the obverse)... but since the odd "2" was pointed out, I'm firmly in the "I don't know" camp! :-0

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • Options
    edited October 15, 2018 5:44PM

It's soaking in acetone right now. I will have to have someone look at in person.

As for the 2, I think it is a filled 2.

• Options
    DollarAfterDollarDollarAfterDollar Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭✭✭

Can't see a bit of luster. Looks like a counterfeit to me.

If you do what you always did, you get what you always got.
  • Options
    edited October 15, 2018 8:27PM

Okay my pictures are bad sorry. I can assure you the coin is real and there is decent luster in person. I will try to take better pictures tomorrow. Why do you all keep saying it's fake? (I will admit my pictures do make the coin look REALLY BAD).

The coin has been in acetone for awhile and the green PVC on the reverse had faded to almost nothing.

• Options
    HallcoHallco Posts: 3,627 ✭✭✭✭✭

Post more pictures after the dip and try some different lighting angles. Coin photography is hard! :D

• Options
    DontTellTheWifeDontTellTheWife Posts: 603 ✭✭✭
    edited October 15, 2018 9:37PM

im thinking something is not quite right with the surface color/ look. Just a gut feeling

• Options
    edited October 15, 2018 9:54PM

the counterfeiters wouldn't have known about the filled 2 vam.. My pictures make the coin look weird.

• Options
    dcarrdcarr Posts: 7,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

Genuine. Looks like a nice original (somewhat dirty) AU-53.

• Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,692 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm at 53 on it. Get some of the crud off and it'll look better. The chip in the 2 is a die break that happens on a few 1902 obverse dies from all mints.

• Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

45 to me.

• Options
    morgansforevermorgansforever Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭✭✭

AU and genuine imo. Have seen that filled 2 on other Morgans, counterfeiters aren't gonna purposely fill a 2.

World coins FSHO Hundreds of successful BST transactions U.S. coins FSHO
  • Options
    au58au58 Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭

It's real and, after a soak, it's AU-50.

• Options
    AlexinPAAlexinPA Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭✭✭

XF to AU and genuine.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would guess AU50.... and genuine.... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,686 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm at XF45

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,481 ✭✭✭✭✭

It looks like an EF to me, and genuine.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    RollermanRollerman Posts: 1,840 ✭✭✭✭✭

How about a before and after the soak? Just curious how it turned out. By the way, I was always in the AU50 camp for that one.
    Pete

"Ain't None of Them play like him (Bix Beiderbecke) Yet."
    Louis Armstrong
  • Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,254 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think I am seeing a significant amount of luster there, especially the reverse with a "scungy" appearance to the obverse - that may improve with a bit of acetone. Surprisingly, if closely watched an ammonia solution (household 1:1 mix with H2O) may also help just a bit; not to soak but gentle tamping with Q-tip and liberal rinsing afterward.

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options

Still in acetone as of now. The coin is looking much better but there is still a small bit of green on the right wing tip. I will leave it in for a couple more hours and check again. Would rolling a qtip on it not be advised? I've seen some people do it but I've never tried.

• Options
    HallcoHallco Posts: 3,627 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 16, 2018 12:17PM

I am excited to see it when it is done. Is it ok to soak silver in acetone for many hours?

• Options
    CCGGGCCGGG Posts: 1,267 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options
    PTVETTERPTVETTER Posts: 5,880 ✭✭✭✭✭

Maybe it’s just the photo,
    Just doesn’t look right!

Pat Vetter,Mercury Dime registry set,1938 Proof set registry,Pat & BJ Coins:724-325-7211

• Options
    lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd love to see the "after" pics. Check the white balance on your camera... it might be throwing the color off. Coin photography is truly an art form...

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • Options
    edited October 16, 2018 4:17PM

Much more pleased with the results. I just did the reverse and am working on the obverse. I like to acetone my coins one side up at a time so I can pay attention to each one at a time. Anyways here's how the reverse turned out. I had to gently roll a qtip on the PVC on the wingtip to lift it off and it looks great IMO. I captured the luster as well. The blotch under the W in WE didn't budge.

So now on the obverse, does it look like PVC on the left side field? Can't tell but I am soaking it right now and may try to roll a qtip to see if any of it lifts off. Thoughts? Any other PVC spots to watch out for on the obverse?

• Options
    blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,446 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks solid 50 on the reverse now, maybe even 53. Crazy how a dip can up the grade, well photograde anyway. lol

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

• Options

That appears to be verd by the "w" and acetone will not remove. That is why I suggested the ammonia solution. Q-tips are fine as long as you do not rub/grind on the surface. Experiment with bullion type coins if you like to get a comfort level. It would definitely improve it.

• Options
    edited October 17, 2018 4:27PM

Obverse is finished, not much change. Little bit more luster but that's about it. Hard for me to picture but it does have a cartwheel effect. I think it's ready for a submission. I gave both sides a quick rinse in acetone and into a flip. I am pleased with how it turned out. Paid $80 for it at the pawn.

• Options
    fiftysevenerfiftysevener Posts: 896 ✭✭✭✭

Maybe dipped out unc. See if it straight grades.

• Options
    Wabbit2313Wabbit2313 Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

By the way, Acetone and q-tips on a circulated coin, you can scrub away all you want, it is not going to do anything damage wise to the coin.

• Options
    KkathylKkathyl Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭✭✭

I see indications of a few Vams double berry large gap to wing and the filled 2. I dont like the color but the date is considered scarce.

Best place to buy !
    Bronze Associate member

• Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭✭✭

I see it as an AU50-53. I agree that is a die chip on the 2. I hope the lustre is there, but I cannot see it in the photos, but if you see it inhand then great. Thanks for sharing.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options
    erwindocerwindoc Posts: 4,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think I would try a bit of MS70 on it. Dirt comes off nicely and works well on MS/AU coins. Good find!!

• Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,732 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice pickup. Better post-dip. I think it has a bit of mint luster, but not much. I’m in the 45-50 camp.

• Options
    MICHAELDIXONMICHAELDIXON Posts: 6,407 ✭✭✭✭✭

XF45.

Spring National Battlefield Coin Show is April 12-13, 2024 at the Eisenhower Hotel in Gettysburg, PA. WWW.AmericasCoinShows.com
  • Options
    Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cleaned AU-50 it's sliver...

Hoard the keys.
  • Options

50 seems fair to me based on the photo. A bit of luster and not too many issues, but not "clean enough" to make 53. Still a nice coin and pickup IMO.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file