Home Sports Talk
Options

What managers did you really enjoy watching?

CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited October 12, 2018 6:52AM in Sports Talk

As they often say...not debatable. ;)

Comments

• Options
    CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

At first glance, it looked like the ump was sporting the first Nike logo.

• Options
    orioles93orioles93 Posts: 3,464 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not old enough to have watched him but old videos of Earl Weaver are fun to watch.

What I Collect:

PSA HOF Baseball Postwar Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 77.97% Complete)

PSA Pro Football HOF Rookie Players Set Registry- (Currently 19.26% Complete)

PSA Basketball HOF Players Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 6.02% Complete)
  • Options
    vintagefunvintagefun Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭

Billy, Sparky, Tommy and Earl.

I used to love me some Earl Weaver Baseball too.

52-90 All Sports, Mostly Topps, Mostly HOF, and some assorted wax.
  • Options
    markj111markj111 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭

Earl Weaver.

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

@vintagefun said:
    Billy, Sparky, Tommy and Earl.

I used to love me some Earl Weaver Baseball too.

These 4 pretty much wrap it up for me. Especially Earl kicking dirt on the umpire until he was tossed.

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,550 ✭✭✭✭✭

I liked Tommy

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,768 ✭✭✭✭✭

Billy is just very politely suggesting to the umpire that he go for an eye examination to correct a possible blindness problem.

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭

@craig44 said:
    I liked Tommy

His rant on Kurt Bevacqua is truly epic, lol..

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

Do wrestling managers count?

• Options
    1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,244 ✭✭✭✭✭

Lee Elia - Chicago Cubs manager (after this one, for two more days :D

https://youtu.be/8S0CDtEz_Bo

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• Options
    SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,094 ✭✭✭✭✭

Tommy Lasorda and Earl Weaver.

Steve

• Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭✭✭

Casey
    Sparky
    Weaver
    Martin

Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,052 ✭✭✭✭✭

Earl Weaver and special recognition to Lou Piniella for his base throwing prowess.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,459 ✭✭✭✭✭

Earl Weaver, Billy Martin, Sparky Anderson, and no Red Sox manager ever

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,486 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 17, 2018 12:57PM

If you were rooting for the other team, Gene Mauch was really good at pulling the meat out of the jaws of victory. He did it for the Phillies and the Angels.

I enjoyed Rich Koitie when he was coach for the Jets. He had terrible season with the Eagles, and then the Jets picked him up for reasons unknown where he coarched them to yet another terrible seaon. He must of been on fire at the job interviews.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

The darnest stunt I ever saw Earl Weaver pull was in a game against the Yankees. The game was in Baltimore, and it was raining. The game was beyond the fifth inning, and the Yankees scored three or four runs to go ahead of the Orioles in the top of the inning. Then the umpires stopped the game for a rain delay.

Weaver had a long conference with the umpires on camera. At the end of it, they called the game, wiping out the Yankee top half of the inning and giving the win to the Orioles. You should have heard the cries from Yankee announcer, Phil Rizzuto. It was something beyond “Holly Cow!”

As it turned out the Yankees and Red Sox ended in a tie at the end of the season, so that game did matter.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?