Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Yard sale find

Comments

• Options

It is a temple token issued in India. Sorry, but I don’t have any other details.

Best regards, James

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think it is a Thailand 1 baht 1916 ( 2459 ). IMO. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    BillDugan1959BillDugan1959 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 12, 2018 10:58AM

I can't make any suggestion as to origin, but I have taken a cursory look at "Thailand" in the 20th Century Standard Catalog of World Coins (1901-2000) and see nothing that looks even remotely like this.

Most twentieth century "Thailand" has a portrait of the King or of some member of the Royal family.

The standard Thailand 1 baht coin dated 1916 is a silver coin with the King's portrait on the obverse and a stylized elephant on the reverse.

• Options
    mkman123mkman123 Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭✭

@Namvet69 said:
    I think it is a Thailand 1 baht 1916 ( 2459 ). IMO. Peace Roy

Not its not a thai baht. Not even close.

Successful Buying and Selling transactions with:

Many members on this forum that now it cannot fit in my signature. Please ask for entire list.
  • Options
    koincollectkoincollect Posts: 446 ✭✭✭

It is a temple token or Rama-tanka from India. One side shows Lord Rama and his brother Lakshamana and the other shows Rama's coronation. The coins are debased silver and the type which you bought is a common one. You might have either overpaid or paid just the right price. Either way cool piece.

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭✭✭

That was just my SWAG for the day. Oops! Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options

This type is also commonly seen in brass or silver washed brass, something to check for.

Highly enthusiastic about world coins, contemporary circulating counterfeits and unusual stuff <3