Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

28-D Buffs, which do you prefer and GTG

ad4400ad4400 Posts: 2,046 ✭✭✭✭✭

Another one of my periodic questions to the group of 'which do you prefer and why", and "what would you grade". These two are very different propositions, and have lots to like for their respective strong suits. I am leaning towards one of the two, but am always interested in what folks here think.

Coin A is the incumbent and has been part of set for a number of years. It was part of a series of acquisitions I made from a set a dealer had acquired from someone who clearly had a good eye, including my current 20-D, 28P, 28-D and a stellar 26-D that has a happy home now with a fellow board member. The image speaks for itself. For the color lover, this one has just about it all.

Coin B is the new comer. It was truly one of those holy cr@p moments when you open the package and are floored. Luster is off the charts, and their is a very pleasing violet to gold patina that isn't fully captured in the image. First impression just screams uber grade. That said, the kicker, as those that know the series will appreciate, is the strike. They just don't come like this.

Comments

• Options
    JeffersonFrogJeffersonFrog Posts: 834 ✭✭✭✭✭

2nd one, strike - and I suspect the subtle colors show better in hand than they do in the pictures. I know, the 1st one has the colorful toning, but it also comes with spots on the I and under the R and T in LIBERTY.

Both are nice, choose what suits you. It's not right or wrong, it's different.

If we were all the same, the world would be an incredibly boring place.

Tommy

• Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,260 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like the second. The strike is so strong. The first has nice color, and I like both, but gotta go with the strike.

• Options
    KkathylKkathyl Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭✭✭

2 has a better strike in my opinion

Best place to buy !
    Bronze Associate member

• Options
    HallcoHallco Posts: 3,627 ✭✭✭✭✭

We often change our minds as to what "pretty" is(especially guys), but a hammered strike is forever! ;)

• Options
    Aspie_RoccoAspie_Rocco Posts: 3,259 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 11, 2018 3:40PM

The top one. While it lacks detail in the hair and hide, The look of the horn tip and split tail seem better. The eye appeal screams, the coloration fields and rim highlight the devices. I would choose this over and over, even with those spots on Liberty and weak details

The second is beautiful too, as a more solid color coin.

The D mintmark on both have a different orientation, get both as examples!

• Options
    BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,413 ✭✭✭✭✭

IMHOP.............without a question..........the second one. Way better strike.

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • Options
    david3142david3142 Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭✭✭

I love toners but I would pick the 2nd coin. I need at least a decent central braid to be happy with a Buffalo nickel.

• Options
    koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

Even tho the first one is a little flatly struck I'd still go with that one because of the outstanding color.

• Options
    BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,413 ✭✭✭✭✭

Matter of choice, roomies.............strike before toning for me.

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Without a doubt.. .the second one for me. Awesome strike and detail....That is a Buff to be proud of....I can forgive the slight tarnish... ;) Cheers, RickO

• Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,152 ✭✭✭✭✭

Coin B for me too.

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,147 ✭✭✭✭✭

Depends on your goal - seems your collection should have a consistent theme. Or....Do two sets: one with color and the other for strike

• Options
    CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,607 ✭✭✭✭✭

I love color, but I'd choose coin #2 for the reasons you describe and suspect that this will be your choice.

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • Options
    ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭✭✭

Coin 2. Strike is better and doesn't have the spots. I'm guessing 65 on both.

Collector, occasional seller

• Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 12, 2018 12:32PM

I’m kinda familiar with the series so let me say this. The 1928-d in the series is a challenge to find well struck. It can be done but it’s slim Pickens. Buffalo nickel #2 has an outstanding strike and the luster is without question off the charts. I’ve seen them both in hand. I love color and eye appeal on Buff #1 but that strike and luster on #2 can not be denied.
    They are both beautiful, Al.
    Gotta love your Buffs B) they are beautiful.

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options
    OldEastsideOldEastside Posts: 4,602 ✭✭✭✭✭

Tough Choice, but I'm leaning toward 2...............but then again I'm greedy so BOTH

Steve

Promote the Hobby
  • Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,327 ✭✭✭✭✭

No brainer for me, as the cape, rear leg and dripping lustre of reverse and overall strike of the obverse make it for me. I love the color of #1 but I absolutely love #2. Thanks for sharing Alain.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options

@tradedollarnut said:
    Depends on your goal - seems your collection should have a consistent theme. Or....Do two sets: one with color and the other for strike

I did that several years ago-first with the strike and then for the color-date sets only, tho.

• Options

Even a simple date set was impossible to complete with fully struck coins. The 1929, 1930, and 1931-S with completely full detailing are all extremely difficult, and probably impossible, to find.

• Options
    lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 7,834 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yeah... strike! #2

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • Options
    ad4400ad4400 Posts: 2,046 ✭✭✭✭✭

As some have guessed, I will keep #2. I can not stress enough the 'oh wow' factor when I opened the package. Luster is just delicious. To me it screams 66, although PCGS decided it was fine as a 65 OGH when sent for reconsideration. From a technical stand point I can see the reverse hits giving a tad of heartburn in doling out a 66, but total package, it is all there.

I am a bit surprised the opinion was so lopsided for #2. I thought for sure more would speak up for the color, as #1 is a pretty strong piece on its own merits.

• Options

I'm surprised at the lopsidedness, too. Where are all the color guys (besides me?)

• Options
    ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭✭✭

@koynekwest said:
    I'm surprised at the lopsidedness, too. Where are all the color guys (besides me?)

I like color too, but to me it is trumped by strike.

Collector, occasional seller

• Options

That's the way I used to feel but I like color better now if the strike isn't TOO bad.

• Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

I prefer coin 1.
    I know I am in the extreme minority but strike isn't that important to me.

• Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,760 ✭✭✭✭

I've always loved the color in the first coin. But if I were buying, I'm all over the second coin. Nice strike and luster.

Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Options

I know I am late to this thread but I would take the second coin also. Great Strike.
    Remember too that all coins will tone eventually, maybe someday coin 2 will have a little more color like number 1.
    All depends on what it was exposed to before slabbing and how and where you store your coins.
    But then again it could be one hundred years before anything happens. :)

Member of LSCC, EAC, Fly-In Club, BCCS
    Life member of ANA

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file