Home U.S. Coin Forum

I think this is my new favorite - Special thanks to Brian Greer Rare Coins!

ms70ms70 Posts: 13,953 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited October 9, 2018 3:54PM in U.S. Coin Forum

The TrueView just came in for my new piece and I thought I'd share.

And special thanks to Brian Greer, not only for helping me get this in my collection, but also for letting me bug him repeatedly about this piece while he was away at a show! Brian- THANK YOU!

1803 Half Dime, VG08, Small 8 variety, (estimated 25 known)

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

Comments

• crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,956 ✭✭✭✭✭

Super nice piece, I love it. True early Amercana for sure.
    Great score.

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

WOAH, NICE!

Frank

BHNC #203

• BaleyBaley Posts: 22,660 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow, I really like that a lot!
    It's great to have something few others have In Any Condition, even moreso such a nice one.
    Congrats on an important acquisition!

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• ParadisefoundParadisefound Posts: 8,588 ✭✭✭✭✭

If there's a will ...... and sure you've found the way. Congrats on the rare 215 yrs old coin ! :)

• goldengolden Posts: 9,526 ✭✭✭✭✭

I love the little Half Dimes.

• Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,410 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow - never saw one before!

Successful BST transactions with 171 members. Ebeneezer, Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • This content has been removed.
  • yosclimberyosclimber Posts: 4,758 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 9, 2018 3:13PM

It's about the same rarity as the 1802, and in much nicer condition than most of the 1802s!
    I suppose because very few people collect these by die variety, the price is kept at a sane level, due to availability of the 1803 large 8.

• YorkshiremanYorkshireman Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cool toning!

Yorkshireman,Obsessed collector of round, metallic pieces of history.Hunting for Latin American colonial portraits plus cool US & British coins.
  • ChangeInHistoryChangeInHistory Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭✭✭

That coin gets attention, congrats on being the new caretaker!

• ms70ms70 Posts: 13,953 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 9, 2018 3:50PM

@yosclimber said:
    It's about the same rarity as the 1802, and in much nicer condition than most of the 1802s!
    I suppose because very few people collect these by die variety, the price is kept at a sane level, due to availability of the 1803 large 8.

You answered my question before I could PM you, LOL.... Thanks! I was going to run that by you as to why the difference in price between the 1802 & the 1803 small 8, being both are near equally scarce. That makes sense considering the scarcity of all 1802 examples vs. the scarcity specific to a variety of the 1803.

• hchcoinhchcoin Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭✭✭

Brian Greer is a great coin dealer. Love the coin. Well done.

@yosclimber said:

Yeah, 1803 large 8 half dimes are all over the place, lol.

• JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭✭

Oh yeah... that is a nice coin!

• NumisOxideNumisOxide Posts: 10,997 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice early half dime!

• BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice coin!

• CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 32,041 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don’t think I have ever handled an 1803 Half Dime in my life.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • rheddenrhedden Posts: 6,626 ✭✭✭✭✭

I had an example of the 1803, Small 8 at one time. It had XF+ details and plenty of damage too. I kept it for a long time before I decided to sell all my damaged early type coins. I'll probably never replace it, as I believe it's still considered a strict R6 variety with under 25 known examples. The prices never really escalated on these pieces compared to the "common" large 8 variety, at least not in the lower grades. There may not be 25 collectors out there who actively collect the Draped Bust H10c series by die marriage to drive up the price. On the other hand, 1802 is a date, and there are enough date collectors to drive up the price just a bit. ;)

• StoogeStooge Posts: 4,665 ✭✭✭✭✭

Quite a nice example. When I see a coin like this I wonder what it's been up to and who spent it. What did it buy all these yrs.

Later, Paul.

@yosclimber said:

Just remembered Northeast Numismatics has a spectacular 1802 available. Way way out of my reach. Worth taking a look at.

• savitalesavitale Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭✭✭

Awesome. Absolute rarity over condition rarity any day.

edited October 9, 2018 8:47PM

@ms70 said:

@yosclimber said:

Just remembered Northeast Numismatics has a spectacular 1802 available. Way way out of my reach. Worth taking a look at.

Their 1802 VG-10 has a couple of long reverse scratches that your coin does not have....
    So many 1802s are wrecked that it feels like grading standards are softened for them.
    Although half dimes in particular are small and the scratches in an enlarged photo look big,
    but are absolutely smaller than those on larger coins....

"Wrecked" 1802 list from recent auctions:
    NCS AG Details
    PCGS XF45
    PCGS Genuine
    NGC AU50
    PCGS Good6
    PCGS Genuine
    PCGS VG Details Damg
    PCGS VG08
    PCGS AU50
    NGC AU50
    PCGS Gen Fine Details
    PCGS AU50
    PCGS Genuine Damg
    NGC VF Details
    PCGS AU53
    PCGS G Details Damg
    PCGS Gen F Details

yosclimber, are all those individual coins or are some repeats?

edited October 10, 2018 7:31PM

Several of the high grade coins are repeats.
    One of the coins under XF45 is a repeat (PCGS Genuine - 3rd in list, and PCGS Genuine Damg).
    This was a quick copy/paste from auction appearances starting in mid-April 2008.

If you'd like to see the higher grade coins traced, see:

The Eliasberg was recently upgraded to an AU-53 holder; many of the top coins have been subject to grade inflation.
    The AU-55 Garrett was sold in 2017 from the Stellar collection. (No, not to Hansen; it's in the "St. Jude" 1802 registry set https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/alltimeset/156476).
    The PCGS Pop report has a count of 2 for AU-55, but this is incorrect; it's just the one Garrett example, counted twice when it was reholdered.
    https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/937249/1802-half-dime-provenance-top-9-specimens

• Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow, "sweet", I like it, congratulations !!! :)

Timbuk3
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice coin and certainly not common.... Thanks for showing us... Cheers, RickO

• SeattleSlammerSeattleSlammer Posts: 9,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

30 likes plus another 21 likes on the replies. I’d say the consensus is that this forum likes it. :sunglasses:

@ms70 said:
    The TrueView just came in for my new piece and I thought I'd share.

And special thanks to Brian Greer, not only for helping me get this in my collection, but also for letting me bug him repeatedly about this piece while he was away at a show! Brian- THANK YOU!

1803 Half Dime, VG08, Small 8 variety, (estimated 25 known)

Here's an 1803 half dime with the large 8 in the date, for comparison

• ashelandasheland Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭✭

Excellent! Congrats!

• Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,916 ✭✭✭✭✭

Love those flowing locks. Nice coin. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall, coinsarefun, MichaelDixon, NickPatton, ProfLiz, Twobitcollector,Jesbroken

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file