Home Precious Metals
Options

For end times stackers-why Gold Eagles vs Gold maples vs bullion ?

With gold maples your getting 7 + % more gold per round compared to a Gold Eagle, why invest in Eagles? In end times, I can melt them down and pocket the difference? The value is in the gold not who minted it? I dont state this as fact just as a general question.

Comments

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,214 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 8, 2018 3:14PM

Both coins contain one ounce of gold. The American gold eagle has an additional .0909 ozs. of alloys added for strength and hardness. The maple weights one ounce while the eagle weighs 1.0909 oz. The added weight to the eagle is in addition to the one ounce of gold.

The overall fineness of each coin differs which is not really important to value until you melt them down into exactly equal sizes: a quarter ounce chunk of an AGE will contain slightly less gold than a quarter ounce chunk of a maple.

Gold Coin Specifications

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options

I did not know the eagle was over weighted to off set the difference in alloys. Thanks.

• Options

welcome to a forum where we all learn something

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,856 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ounce for ounce it's not for end times. It's for good times

• Options
    GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,376 ✭✭✭✭✭

Keep in mind a Gold Panda no longer has 1 full once of Gold,,,,, only 30 grams.
    An ounce is 31.1 grams.

GrandAm :)
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@justdano .... Welcome aboard... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,694 ✭✭✭✭✭

As nice as pure gold looks, it's way too soft. I've seen Maples that were carried around in a guy's pocket and the were chewed up and looked horrible. Eagles are the way to go. Way more durable.

• Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you're stacking for days BEFORE the end.....
    The Eagle is a "non reportable" sale coin.
    It's also eligible for IRA inclusion. Even if that's a bad choice.

Oh yeah....you also don't have to count the nines to get a price on what you have. :D

• Options
    edited October 10, 2018 9:09AM

@topstuf said:

FWIW, while the sale does not require any "special" reporting, the income from the sale does require inclusion on your income tax forms. As a "collectible" (all precious metals) profits are taxed at the 28% rate.

• Options

@derryb said:

@topstuf said:

FWIW, while the sale does not require any "special" reporting, the income from the sale does require inclusion on your income tax forms. As a "collectible" (all precious metals) profits are taxed at the 28% rate.

Yes, we all know that. I had a coin shop and I can't tell you how many of my customers used to bug me annually for 1099s on their AGE sales.

• Options
    cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,621 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's the end of times and you're worried about filing taxes?

Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• Options
    edited October 10, 2018 2:45PM

@cohodk said:

Even dead people have to file one final return. End of times is a poor reason to stack. End of dollar times is a different story. LOL

• Options

For the end of times you should stack watch batteries. :p

• Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 11, 2018 7:35AM

@derryb said:

@cohodk said:

Even dead people have to file one final return. End of times is a poor reason to stack. End of dollar times is a different story. LOL

"Dead people" do not file taxes, that's supposed to be handled by someone else. The deceased as such, is not liable for non tax filing and is unlikely to end up behind bars. ;)

That reminds me of a quiz: "A passenger jet crashes on the American Canadian border. On what side are the survivors buried on. ;)

"Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,376 ✭✭✭✭✭

Survivors aren’t buried.

GrandAm :)
  • Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,694 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,219 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 11, 2018 10:13AM

why?

'Merica!

while the worst case scenario will come up due to the governments idiocy, trust will be found in the 'Merican products.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,364 ✭✭✭✭✭

Neither. Krugerrands!!!

Dave

Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • Options
    thefinnthefinn Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭✭✭

I personally like Maple Leafs over Eagles. You get pure gold at a lower premium.

thefinn
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,219 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd rather go buffs, but leafs are a better value.

however, stacking for the worst case scenario has me thinking usa products will be better than others.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    tommy44tommy44 Posts: 2,195 ✭✭✭✭✭

Stacking precious metals is for a SHTF of demise of the dollar as the currency of choice scenario.

For a end times scenario you probably want to stack MREs, a good water filter, cigarettes, dried beans, soap, etc.

it's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

• Options
    KkathylKkathyl Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭✭✭

Eagles are widely recognized and easily traded. Maples have tax issues. Bullion is not limited in mintage.

Best place to buy !
    Bronze Associate member

• Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,380 ✭✭✭✭✭

_ Maples have tax issues._

What tax issues do Maples have that Eagles do not?

Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    coinpro76coinpro76 Posts: 366 ✭✭✭

All Bullion traded within Canada is non taxable.

all around collector of many fine things

• Options
    edited October 11, 2018 4:25PM

@jmski52 said:
    _ Maples have tax issues._

What tax issues do Maples have that Eagles do not?

good question. Other than sales tax (varies from state to state and type bullion) and income tax on gain from a sale, what other taxes are there? None that I know of.

However, some quantity purchases do require the buyer/dealer to file reporting forms (1099B) at the time of the purchase. Some buyers do like to remain anonymous. Let's not confuse this issue with tax issues other than the 1099B brings your sale to the dealer to the IRS's attention. Result: show the income from the sale on your tax return.

Edited to add:

I did find this requirement for dealers to report purchases, but the info is four years old.