Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Are unstruck planchette worth anything?

Comments

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,926 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 7, 2018 12:59AM

It depends on what it is a planchet for and how common it is, among other things. Some are common and not worth very much, some are less common and worth in the hundreds while others are rare and worth in the thousands. Check eBay for a frame of reference.

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,489 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don’t think that some of the circles you posted are blank planchets. The third one appears to be a blank from a building construction operation. Recently I picked one up that was on a construction site. The fourth one is a blank cent planchette that has had its rims upset in preparation for striking.

By far the common blank planchettes are cents. Those are worth a buck or so. As you go up the scale they become rarer. I think that a blank Ike Dollar planchette would be quite a find, and very valuable, but correct me if I’m wrong. I’ve never seen a Morgan Dollar or gold blank planchette. If they exist, they would be a major rarity.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,447 ✭✭✭✭✭

Agree with Bill. Check your planchets with a magnet. Some may be punch outs from outside the mint industrial operations.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Interesting... Where did you acquire these blanks?? I agree it is unlikely (though not impossible) that they are all coin planchets... Perhaps telling us more of the backstory would help. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    MarkMark Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭✭✭

@billjones I always thought the word was "planchet" and you are spelling it the same way the OP does, "planchettes." Is this an alternative spelling?

As always, thanks in advance.

PS: I totally agree with your post about the construction site blank and the value of blank plancets (or blank planchettes :) )

Mark

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BillJones said:
    I don’t think that some of the circles you posted are blank planchets. The third one appears to be a blank from a building construction operation. Recently I picked one up that was on a construction site. The fourth one is a blank cent planchette that has had its rims upset in preparation for striking.

By far the common blank planchettes are cents. Those are worth a buck or so. As you go up the scale they become rarer. I think that a blank Ike Dollar planchette would be quite a find, and very valuable, but correct me if I’m wrong. I’ve never seen a Morgan Dollar or gold blank planchette. If they exist, they would be a major rarity.

Question......How can you tell a Peace Dollar from a Morgan if it is blank? I know you should be able to tell a Ike because it would not be silver unless it was a proof.

• Options

@ricko said:
    Interesting... Where did you acquire these blanks?? I agree it is unlikely (though not impossible) that they are all coin planchets... Perhaps telling us more of the backstory would help. Cheers, RickO

It's what is coming up on the iPad, and I didn't feel like messing it every time I used the word.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options

Question......How can you tell a Peace Dollar from a Morgan if it is blank? I know you should be able to tell a Ike because it would not be silver unless it was a proof.

You might not be able to tell the difference, but there could be a distinction in the way the rims were upset. At any rate, it wouldn't matter much, the value would be high. Generally the higher the denomination, the more valuable when it comes to mint errors. The mint does a better job of pulling out the bigger stuff.

I once say a Gem Uncircualted LIberty $5 gold piece that was stuck 35% off-center. The piece sold for something like $35,000 almost 20 years ago.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BillJones ....
    "I once say a Gem Uncircualted LIberty $5 gold piece that was stuck 35% off-center. The piece sold for something like $35,000 almost 20 years ago."
    Wow... a major gold coin error.... They must be real rarities...Cheers, RickO

• Options
    giantsfan20giantsfan20 Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 7, 2018 1:51PM

Do some research : and find the correct weight for the coins that will tell you if blank planchet or not. That along with the phantom DD question If truely interested links have been posted look for my logo that **should ** explain it in detail.

Type 2 has an upset rim

As for the value question .The 1c-25c are $5.00 or less although a 5 cent one for some reason goes for around $10 not sure why this goes for a lot more compared to others.

• Options

Thank you! They all came from a neighbors coin collection before he moved away, I am just going off of what I was told by him, and have no way of contacting him. I will have to get a coin scale to check their weight. I checked them all with a magnet, and none are magnetic. I have yet to come across any half dollar blanks or dollar blanks. Except a waffled blank gold dollar. Though i hope one day I will find a half dollar or a dollar coin planchette. I still have a lot of coin stuff to look through so I'm sure I will have more questions,and pics to share. Also here is a side view of what I believe are the (clad) quarter and dime planchettes, And the blank waffled gold dollar.

• Options
    OldhoopsterOldhoopster Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭✭✭

IMO, the copper colored pieces look like blank cent planchets. Going by the pics, I can't tell if any of the other blanks have upset rims, so I would check the following:

• Magnet (as others have said, this will get rid of some of the electrical punch outs)
    • Check the edges of the dime and quarter sized blanks. If you don't see the clad layer, it's probably not a blank planchet. (FWIW, nothing looks like it would be silver)
    • Weigh them. Weight data is available in the Redbook. There are some tolerances for each coin, but if you use a calibrated scale to at least 2 decimal points, a blank should be pretty close to the published weights.

It's tough to tell from your pics, but I think some of the silver colored discs are scrap metal, but a couple of the nickel sized pieces may be something. Once again, weight data is your friend.

Member of the ANA since 1982
  • Options
    OldEastsideOldEastside Posts: 4,602 ✭✭✭✭✭

The quarter sized ones may be paper delivery tokens for newsracks and the dime sized ones may be restroom tokens while 2 of them may be electrical box knockouts from a construction site

Steve

Promote the Hobby
  • Options

So i finally got a better camera, here are some side pics showing clad. And the only two quarters I found with upset rims. The pics In order are: quarter,dime,dollar,dollar,quarter,quarter,nickel,dime,dime,upset quarter,upset quarter,nickel. I apologize thats just the way it uploaded my pics...

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,548 ✭✭✭✭✭

Aren't values in the back of the Red Book? First place to look, I think.

bob :)

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options

I will definitely check into that, thank you. I am just a newbie in the coin world. Lol.

• Options
    Aspie_RoccoAspie_Rocco Posts: 3,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

They look a lot like blanks to me. Except the quarter sized ones, they appear to have a raised rim and may, in fact, be planchets. I am not entirely convinced with the nickel sized one, looks to be a knockout tab with flat break away at bottom. Otherwise the nickel sized piece closely resembles the appearance of my nickel blanks.

Cool collection.

Blanks do not become planchets until they are processed, tumbled, heated, washed, etc.
    planchets have raised rims and are spelled with a single T and single E.

• Options

Thank you @Aspie_Rocco. I appreciate the feedback, im always learning something new here.

• Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,886 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 26, 2018 10:30PM

• Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

The one looks like a mint rejected waffled Sac or Presidential dollar planchet.

Even though blank you should only hold any coin on the edge.

The finger oils left along with future climate conditions can affect the surface of the coin.

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    shorecollshorecoll Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was told you could no longer get blank planchets slabbed, because of the quality of the fake Chinese blanks, but I don't know if that's still true.

ANA-LM, NBS, EAC

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file