Home Precious Metals
Options

Time for a dip :smile:

1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

Comments

• Options
    CoulportCoulport Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭

Seen worse.

Dip, rinse, dry & put in 2X3 zip lock bag.

The most money I made are on coins I haven't sold.

Got quoins?
  • Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,695 ✭✭✭✭✭

Actually I like that even purple toning. I'd leave that particular one alone (The JM)

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have never dipped bars or rounds.... Those are really just acquired for artistic interest. I suppose if one tarnished in a nasty manner, I would though. Good video... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

The next stage of toning on that JM bar would be an ugly black, as such, a cleaning was required. Personally, I have no objection in dipping bullion products.

"Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,382 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 3, 2018 9:37AM

I think he's a very good presenter.

I bought a dark grey-toned silver dollar at a farm auction once, and decided to use MS70 to see if I could only remove enough of the grey to reveal a rainbow tone that I thought might come out.

It was not a pretty sight. Just dulled surfaces all around. I should've left it toned. At least I got the coin cheap.

Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options

The JM bar dipped out better than I thought in the video, so it's not terrible. I just like the purple color they get:

• Options

Like this one:

• Options
    chumleychumley Posts: 2,305 ✭✭✭✭

I have some candidates for a dip

• Options
    CladiatorCladiator Posts: 17,920 ✭✭✭✭✭

BigstackMcGee! I love that guy, been following him since he first started doing videos years ago. He's one of MANY Youtuber coin collectors and PM stackers that regularly post videos about their collections and purchases. I'm surprised these folks aren't mentioned on these boards more often.

• Options

@Cladiator said:
    BigstackMcGee! I love that guy, been following him since he first started doing videos years ago. He's one of MANY Youtuber coin collectors and PM stackers that regularly post videos about their collections and purchases. I'm surprised these folks aren't mentioned on these boards more often.

He does have a lot of videos and seems to be truly genuine and not a 'wise guy' :smile:

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

• Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well, I like the video and I'm as guilty as he is for dipping coins and bars !!! :'(

Timbuk3
  • Options
    CladiatorCladiator Posts: 17,920 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 3, 2018 4:01PM

@1630Boston said:

@Cladiator said:

He does have a lot of videos and seems to be truly genuine and not a 'wise guy' :smile:

From what I can tell he seems to be an alright kinda person. It is the internet so who really knows but hey.

It's interesting watching his slow transition into numismatics in the typical stumbly way most of us do. In the beginning he was nothing but purely bullion but has branched out tiny bits over time. He just recently purchased his first truly numismatic item, a trade dollar in PCGS. It appears to be a blast white piece that most likely lost it's original skin long ago but it seems to make him happy and has made him even more interested in the actual coin collecting side of things. Fun videos.

• Options
    tneigtneig Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭

I dip. No problem. Esp when you get those tone/rust spots on the edge of a bar, where I just wet a cloth with EZ and wipe and rinse. Now if it was something rare no. I wish I could dip the white spots away from my ASE's.

COA
  • Options

@tneig said:
    I dip. No problem. Esp when you get those tone/rust spots on the edge of a bar, where I just wet a cloth with EZ and wipe and rinse. Now if it was something rare no. I wish I could dip the white spots away from my ASE's.

I.m going to check my ASE's and dip them in acetone, then check them in 20 years [or my heirs will {probably not} ] and let you know if that helped in preventing milk spots. :smile:

• Options
    tneigtneig Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭

For the ones I have that already showed the white spots, the acetone didn't work for me. Seems it runs deep. My PCGS encapsulated first strikes all developed white spots. But then again so have I over the last decade.

@1630Boston said:

I.m going to check my ASE's and dip them in acetone, then check them in 20 years [or my heirs will {probably not} ] and let you know if that helped in preventing milk spots. :smile:

COA