Home Sports Talk

What's rarer than a PSA 10 Topps 1952 Mickey Mantle baseball card?

stevekstevek Posts: 27,572 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yep, you guessed it right...a New York NFL fan posting in Sports Talk.

Jets and Giants both 1-3 and that's the good news.

Comments

• grote15grote15 Posts: 29,477 ✭✭✭✭✭

Still just 1 game behind Philly. ;)

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,343 ✭✭✭✭✭

I root for the Pats to win and the Giants to lose. The Jets are irrelevant lol. Sorry Tim! B)

• DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

@stevek said:

Steve you're a hoot. Better wait until you have a bigger lead before you talk smack. ;)B)

It was a perfect week in Football though! :):oB)

• BaltimoreYankeeBaltimoreYankee Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'll tell you what's rarer than a PSA 10 Topps Mantle: Two PSA 10 Topps Mantles!

Seriously, I'm not a fan of either Jersey team but I don't think I'd be talking smack if my team was just one game better than the Jets or Giants. ;)

Daniel
  • stevekstevek Posts: 27,572 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DIMEMAN said:

@stevek said:

Steve you're a hoot. Better wait until you have a bigger lead before you talk smack. ;)B)

It was a perfect week in Football though! :):oB)

Sorry Jon, but read the specific Sports Talk rule (which I just made up)

The rule clearly states: Fans of the Super Bowl winner are allowed unabated smack until the next Super Bowl winner is crowned.

;)

• stevekstevek Posts: 27,572 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've been investigating this for many years now, but I still haven't figured out why they are called the "New York" Giants, and the "New York" Jets for that matter, when they don't even play their football in the state of New York?

I would think that New Jersey residents would be outraged over this? Perhaps now that both teams are 1-3, New Jersey residents don't mind that their state's name is not associated with these two teams. ;)

• BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,427 ✭✭✭✭✭

The ‘Jersey Jets and the ‘Jersey Giants ... They both a ring to them. :p

One thing that turns me off to the New York City teams is the way that so many network headquarters personalities are in the tank for them when they are responsible for broadcasting games for all the teams throughout the nation. Going back a long way, the worst example of this was the late Howard Cosel, but it’s hardly changed sine his time.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • 1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭✭✭

Big Giant fan here.

We have played 4 games so far. I watched all four. Giants could be 4-0 right now and could also be 0-4. Talk of Eli being done is silly; they don’t have much of a line so they can’t go down the field in an era where going downfield is how you win football games. They now have some talent on the line with rookie Wil Hernandez and veteran Nate Solder but 60% of the line is still below average. Normally, even a very good line will need time together - something else this line hasn’t had.

Their defense has been much better than anticipated and that’s without Olivier Vernon. Some of the scores have not exactly been indicative of their performance.

Barkley is supremely talented and even still I think the Giants would have been better served taking another O lineman with the pick. You win football in the trenches.

As for the 2018 campaign? Aside from the Rams, I don’t see any standouts in the NFC. If 9-7 is good enough for a playoff spot, this team could get to that record if they caught a few breaks from here on out. Only one division loss so far. Obviously step one is to beat Carolina. From what I’ve seen that’s a possibility

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest