Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

New Acquisition: 1797 Cartwheel 2 Pence with incomplete date

hookedoncoinshookedoncoins Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭
edited September 29, 2018 4:55PM in World & Ancient Coins Forum

I visited a coin show today and came back with a 1797 Cartwheel 2 Pence. I have been wanting to add one of these to my collection for a while. Although this one has a little pitting on the reverse, I thought it had nice overall eye appeal. However, one of the first things I noticed when I inspected this coin is that the "9" in the date is partially missing. I can't imagine this being the result of wear considering how the other areas are not very worn. Could this be the result of a filled die?

Also, any thoughts on the grade? I'm thinking it is VF20, but am not very confident in that assessment.

Comments

• Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 29, 2018 5:25PM

I've always wanted one of these also. We see some really neat RB coins every so often. Your coin looks heavily buffed but I think it would still make VF. Note that the base of the "1" is partially filled also. Either a raised part of the die broke on the "9" or more likely a smoothed over rim bump and the buffing did that.

• Options

Ouch! One of the things I liked about the coin was that it didn't have rim damage. I guess it never occurred to me that you could remove that damage by buffing it. The more I look at the surfaces, I see what you mean about it being buffed. I just got back into collecting so I guess I will chalk this one up as a learning experience. Luckily, I didn't spend that much on it.

• Options
    mkman123mkman123 Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭✭

nice looking cartwheel!

Successful Buying and Selling transactions with:

Many members on this forum that now it cannot fit in my signature. Please ask for entire list.
  • Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice find, consider it a learning moment and I'll bet you look harder at characteristics at your next show. I do. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    edited September 30, 2018 8:33AM

After doing some research online, I found a few other examples that have a similar issue with the "9" that look like they may not be rim damage. I still think it was buffed down, but I'm thinking the "9" may have been filled prior to the buffing.

Example on eBay:
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1797-Cartwheel-Twopence-George-III-British-Milled-Copper-Coin-2d/113270119061?hash=item1a5f6cda95:g:8wwAAOSwJWxbgyre

Example from another forum where the author claims the coin graded NGC AU55:
    https://i.imgur.com/h1jrpST.jpg

• Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 30, 2018 8:20AM

@hookedoncoins said: "After doing some research online, I found a few other examples that have a similar issue with the "9". I still think it was buffed down, but I'm thinking the "9" may have been filled prior to the buffing."

Excellent research! I was incorrect in my assessment. The mark under the "(" is a chip in the die, Note it is raised in the bottom image. The buffing flattened it out.

• Options
    robp2robp2 Posts: 146 ✭✭✭✭

Just a filled die for the digits. Unless the coin has been polished smooth, which would be obvious in hand with overall bright surfaces, it looks to have just suffered normal wear with any dirt likely removed. In this grade it would be virtually impossible to say without this evidence of smoothing because wear is wear, irrespective of where it comes from.

• Options

aside from what's mentioned its actually uncommon to find these with out extensive rim damage considering their weight and age. This is ont of the better rims ive seen. I have a AU55 example I kept from a several I purchased a few years back. I sold the others.

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,686 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice example!