Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Anybody care to grade this before I send it off?

CoinscratchCoinscratch Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭✭✭

From the highly controversial book of Dansco quarters comes this beaut.

Best Answers

Answers

• Options
    Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice color but I don't see why it needs to be in a holder but it's your $$$ do as you like, I'll go with AU58 I think. Cool looking Quarter.

Hoard the keys.
  • Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,250 ✭✭✭✭✭

Agree with @BillJones. Not sure I would submit a common date clad quarter in 65 or even 66.

• Options
    bigmarty58bigmarty58 Posts: 1,998 ✭✭✭✭✭

MS 63 - Clean coin but not a sharp strike!

Enthusiastic collector of British pre-decimal and Canadian decimal circulation coins.
  • Options
    BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,408 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ditto for the worn dies. Softer strike evident. It won't go too high.

MS-65.

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • Options
    CommemKingCommemKing Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very weak strike with lots of die erosion. MS65.

• Options
    giantsfan20giantsfan20 Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭✭

Send it in :# and be sure and post the coin in slab?

**What happened to the picture of the RARE quarters? How come you never posted them along with early dates?****

• Options
    RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭

It depends on where you are going to send it. If to a friend or someone interested in clad coinage, it might grade MS-65 or so with weak detail.

If, however, you plan to send it off to a TPG and give them money for their services, it seems like a wasteful and pointless endeavor. You will get no benefit except the holder, gain no profit, and obtain no value except for your appreciation of a little plastic rectangle and a 'cute' paper label.

TPGs have a valid and very useful place in the hobby - but not for that coin.

• Options

@BillJones said:
    I'd say that MS-65 is the best you can get. The dies were really worn when this was struck, and the resulting coin lost a lot of sharpness. I know it's got color and smooth surfaces, but whole thing is too mushy to pull a really high grade.

Okay, now I see what you all are talking about. Good lesson. I think I'll just hang on to it then. Thanks for all the replies.

• Options

@giantsfan20 said:
    Send it in :# and be sure and post the coin in slab?

**What happened to the picture of the RARE quarters? How come you never posted them along with early dates?****

I did post them, not sure if they showed up now. I attached them to the old thread, maybe its gone? It wasn't much to see as the 32's look like they would be lucky to hit a 10.

• Options

• Options
    gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like the 63, sweet coin.

• Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,250 ✭✭✭✭✭

Check the price guide, figure what you expect the grade to be -1 because they are yours. Ask is the price of a slab worth it. Do what you think is best.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good decision on the '67 quarter....for all the reasons given. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like the 74 and 79 (but could go 58) the best, but not sure why you would want to spend more money to get graded - you can buy some PCGS 66s for the same or lower cost than you can get your own graded.

• Options

@davewesen said:
    I like the 74 and 79 (but could go 58) the best, but not sure why you would want to spend more money to get graded - you can buy some PCGS 66s for the same or lower cost than you can get your own graded.

Because I thought it could grade to a 67 based on the close ups of the date and neck. But after a closer look I see the bad as well. The hair looks too smooth not much definition, the chest feathers and left talen are also worn or poorly struck. I guess I was only focusing on the good parts. However, I think your right on the 74, is that one you would send off in hopes of a higher grade? Or is that year just way too common?

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

@davewesen said:

Don't you remember? He's trying to WIN!

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CoinscratchFever said:

@davewesen said:

Because I thought it could grade to a 67 based on the close ups of the date and neck. But after a closer look I see the bad as well. The hair looks too smooth not much definition, the chest feathers and left talen are also worn or poorly struck. I guess I was only focusing on the good parts. However, I think your right on the 74, is that one you would send off in hopes of a higher grade? Or is that year just way too common?

I didn't see one coin in that set worth sending off. That was a fairly average to below average set.

Keep trying to "win". PCGS shareholders thank you.

• Options

@jmlanzaf said:

@CoinscratchFever said:

@davewesen said:

I didn't see one coin in that set worth sending off. That was a fairly average to below average set.

Keep trying to "win". PCGS shareholders thank you.

Duly Noted! And thanks for the lesson in quarters etc etc etc. I'm still trying to figure which two of my dollars are the fake ones. I had better hurry though because I'm feeling the itch to go buy some more today!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file