Home U.S. Coin Forum

Strong Undertypes

ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,811 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited September 30, 2018 11:00PM in U.S. Coin Forum

The undertype of an overstruck coin can be strong or weak. I like ones that are particularly strong.

This is one of mine from the Denver Coin Club and Dan / @dcarr. It's one of the strongest undertypes I've ever seen and I love the way it looks.

What do you think and do you know of any strong undertype coins?

Comments

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Interesting.... and no, I have not seen any. I will check the next roll of Peace dollars closely :D:D Cheers, RickO

• BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,427 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have a couple. This William Henry Harrison campaign piece, which has been attributed to the 1836 presidential campaign., was stuck over an 1837 large cent. When you look at this piece under strong glass, a lot of the undertype shows.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭

Half cents overstruck on Talbot, Allum & Lee tokens are possibly the best known legitimate overstrikes. The OP's example is in the same class as Lincoln smoking a pipe and other silly novelties. :)

• ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,811 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 29, 2018 1:29PM

@RogerB said:
    Half cents overstruck on Talbot, Allum & Lee tokens are possibly the best known legitimate overstrikes. The OP's example is in the same class as Lincoln smoking a pipe and other silly novelties. :)

I’m sure the Denver Coin Club will be happy to know you think their medals are legit, or they might not care o:)

edited September 29, 2018 1:11PM

@BillJones said:
    I have a couple. This William Henry Harrison campaign piece, which has been attributed to the 1836 presidential campaign., was stuck over an 1837 large cent. When you look at this piece under strong glass, a lot of the undertype shows.

Nice token Bill. I love seeing the date on it. How common was it to strike campaign tokens over coins?

• MarkMark Posts: 3,520 ✭✭✭✭✭

@zoins I virtually always like the items you post but darn ... even aside from the fact I am not a fan of D Carr items, I just don't like that over-strike. However, in truth, who cares? You do like it, you own it, and you are very happy with it, so what else can I say other than all is well! :)

Mark

• BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,427 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zoins said:

@BillJones said:

Nice token Bill. I love seeing the date on it. How common was it to strike campaign tokens over coins?

It is quite unusual.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • ProfLizProfLiz Posts: 260 ✭✭✭✭

Here is a half cent showing the Talbot, Allum & Lee undertype, especially on the obverse. It is much more apparent in-hand than in the TrueView, but you can see it peeping out by the point of the bust, in front of the chin, and a bit in the left field behind the hair.

@Mark said:
    @zoins I virtually always like the items you post but darn ... even aside from the fact I am not a fan of D Carr items, I just don't like that over-strike. However, in truth, who cares? You do like it, you own it, and you are very happy with it, so what else can I say other than all is well! :)

No worries Mark. We can't all like exactly the same things. I happen to be fascinated by it. The mirrors on the reverse are pretty strong but don't show due to the lighting. Besides, if too many people liked what I do, my collection would cost too much to collect!

• ParadisefoundParadisefound Posts: 8,588 ✭✭✭✭✭

I love the 'tribal tattoo' down her neck <3 What a One of A Kind piece.

@Zoins said:

@Paradisefound said:
    I love the 'tribal tattoo' down her neck <3 What a One of A Kind piece.

@Zoins said:

The pattern on her neck is very prominent and one reason I like this piece. The others are the two profiles of Lady Liberty and the reverse eagle on the mountain. I have other overstrikes but think this one is particularly striking ;)

• ParadisefoundParadisefound Posts: 8,588 ✭✭✭✭✭

simply BEAUTIFUL

<3

edited September 30, 2018 11:02PM

@ProfLiz said:
    Here is a half cent showing the Talbot, Allum & Lee undertype, especially on the obverse. It is much more apparent in-hand than in the TrueView, but you can see it peeping out by the point of the bust, in front of the chin, and a bit in the left field behind the hair.

Nice looking coin!

Here's a good article with some background on these:

http://coinappraiser.com/rare-coin-knowledge-center/half-cents-struck-talbot-allum-lee-tokens/

• Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very unusual, I don't have any, but I like it !!! :)

Timbuk3

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file