Home U.S. Coin Forum

GSA Morgan Dollar Hoard Date Distribution & Original Mintage - Reference Chart

StuartStuart Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’m pleased to share this GSA Morgan Dollar Hoard👇Date Distribution & Original Mintage Reference Chart with my fellow forum members.

Stuart

Collect 18th & 19th Century US Type Coins, Silver Dollars, $20 Gold Double Eagles and World Crowns & Talers with High Eye Appeal

"Luck is what happens when Preparation meets Opportunity"

Comments

• morgandollar1878morgandollar1878 Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice, thanks for sharing.

Instagram: nomad_numismatics
  • tyler267tyler267 Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭✭

Does anyone know if the the 1889cc 1892cc or 1893cc still resided in GSA packaging. I know everyone says buy the coin, but in this case I think having a pop 1 packaging would be pretty cool.

• metalmeistermetalmeister Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭✭✭

Still looking for a 89cc. Thanks for posting.

email: ccacollectibles@yahoo.com

100% Positive BST transactions
  • PTVETTERPTVETTER Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭✭✭

The 89CC was once owned by a Pittsburgh dealer

Pat Vetter,Mercury Dime registry set,1938 Proof set registry,Pat & BJ Coins:724-325-7211

• blu62vetteblu62vette Posts: 11,914 ✭✭✭✭✭

@tyler267 said:
    Does anyone know if the the 1889cc 1892cc or 1893cc still resided in GSA packaging. I know everyone says buy the coin, but in this case I think having a pop 1 packaging would be pretty cool.

2 of the 3 are still in the original box.

http://www.bluccphotos.com" target="new">BluCC Photos Shows for onsite imaging: Nov Baltimore, FUN, Long Beach http://www.facebook.com/bluccphotos" target="new">BluCC on Facebook
  • bugbitbugbit Posts: 155 ✭✭✭

Great reference to have. Thanks for sharing.

• TONEDDOLLARSTONEDDOLLARS Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭✭

I had the 93-cc and brought it to FUN last year to be graded. After answering many questions about the province of the coin it was graded XF-45

• TONEDDOLLARSTONEDDOLLARS Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭✭

By the way both the 89&93 are now together in one collection

• Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for sharing !!! :)

Timbuk3
  • 7over87over8 Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭

FWIW—the 89, 92 and 93-cc unc Coins were not found in the original hoard; they were placed in holders for the complete set to tour the country.

• LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

nice

I'd love to see a soft and hard pack chart like this but with known pops.

wouldn't be too hard, just a bit time consuming.

if I were still at it....

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• tyler267tyler267 Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the info

• BStrauss3BStrauss3 Posts: 3,392 ✭✭✭✭✭

The data is out there in the PCGS and NGC population reports, of course, repeat submissions would exaggerate the numbers.

For example, for the 1878CC, NGC lists 3,634 GSA and 666 GSA Soft Pack. Plus 306 and 8 PL and 8 / 0 DMPL.

PCGS doesn't appear to differentiate the soft pack, they list 184, 23 PL and 0 DMPL.

That gives a high estimate of about 4,622 coins out of 60,993 in TPG plastic or 7.5%

-----Burton
    ANA 50 year/Life Member (now "Emeritus")
  • ElcontadorElcontador Posts: 7,517 ✭✭✭✭✭

I bought 12 of these coins in 1980 from the mint for $45 each. For $45 each, you got a random Unc. boxed CC $. You could select your date and pay what the mint deemed to be market price for it, pursuant to their price list. I opted for the former because I needed to see a coin before I paid for it. For $45, I thought the worst I could do is unload it for what I paid for it, if I didn't like the coin.

I got 1 82 CC, 5 83 CCs, and 6 84 CCs. 8 of them were the ugliest Unc. Morgans I had ever seen, and I unloaded them immediately. They were so ugly, that they almost hurt my eyes to look at them. The other 4 went to PCGS. One was a 64, and I sold it for what I paid for it plus grading fees. I made some money on the MS 65s. I still have the 84 CC in PC 6. It now has a sticker and is a really nice coin.

"Vou invadir o Nordeste,
    "Seu cabra da peste,
    "Sou Mangueira......."
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good information.... I will add that to my file on CC Morgans. Cheers, RickO

• littlebearlittlebear Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the info!

Autism Awareness: There is no limit to the good you can do, if you don't care who gets the credit.
  • KkathylKkathyl Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 28, 2018 9:13AM

so 20.38% of the mintage was hoarded.

Best place to buy !
    Bronze Associate member

• ChangeInHistoryChangeInHistory Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good info, thanks for posting it.

• BStrauss3BStrauss3 Posts: 3,392 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Kkathyl said:
    so 18% of the mintage was hoarded.

Really wasn't a hoard in the traditional sense. There just was no call for the coins. So they sat in the vault at Carson City and were then shipped East to Philly when the CC mint closed.

-----Burton
    ANA 50 year/Life Member (now "Emeritus")
  • yosclimberyosclimber Posts: 4,761 ✭✭✭✭✭

• AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,740 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BStrauss3 said:
    The data is out there in the PCGS and NGC population reports, of course, repeat submissions would exaggerate the numbers.

For example, for the 1878CC, NGC lists 3,634 GSA and 666 GSA Soft Pack. Plus 306 and 8 PL and 8 / 0 DMPL.

PCGS doesn't appear to differentiate the soft pack, they list 184, 23 PL and 0 DMPL.

That gives a high estimate of about 4,622 coins out of 60,993 in TPG plastic or 7.5%

No, your math is off. In ADDITION to the hard packs were 13,526 '78cc's in soft packs.
    bob :)

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,740 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BStrauss3 said:

@Kkathyl said:
    so 18% of the mintage was hoarded.

Really wasn't a hoard in the traditional sense. There just was no call for the coins. So they sat in the vault at Carson City and were then shipped East to Philly when the CC mint closed.

No, this is also incorrect. The mint quit producing coins in 1893 but remained a Mint until 1899 when it became an assay office. Nv Congressman Francis Newlands had introduced a bill in Congress to force the the Gov't to either reopen as a Mint or turn it into strictly an assay facility. The assay facility won out and the facility was changed over on July 1, 1899.
    In mid July of that year 8 to 10 boxcars of silver dollars were shipped back east. 22 tons of silver and silver dollars. This amounted to a value of $800,000. These became the GSA dollars we know today.

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,533 ✭✭✭✭✭

@AUandAG said:

In mid July of that year 8 to 10 boxcars of silver dollars were shipped back east. 22 tons of silver and silver dollars. This amounted to a value of $800,000. These became the GSA dollars we know today.

So the Philly mint sat on these coins for years while cranking out Morgans until 1904, then 1921 then all the Peace dollars - sort of like a clerical "save" for the future.

In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • StuartStuart Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’m pleased that so many fellow Forum Members have found this👇Information to be helpful. :)

Stuart

Collect 18th & 19th Century US Type Coins, Silver Dollars, $20 Gold Double Eagles and World Crowns & Talers with High Eye Appeal

"Luck is what happens when Preparation meets Opportunity"

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file