Home Precious Metals
Options

Gold Is Cheap. Inflation Is Coming. You Do the Math - article

davidkdavidk Posts: 275 ✭✭✭
edited September 22, 2018 10:43AM in Precious Metals

Comments

• Options

This article now seems to be behind a paywall. It wasn’t when I read it earlier (different browser even, cleared cache , etc).

• Options
    VanHalenVanHalen Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wages haven't kept up with a low inflation rate for well over a decade. 10% of the country holds almost 90% of the money while wages are stagnant so inflation stays tame. There are no signs of that changing in the near term (3 to 5 years).

• Options
    dpooledpoole Posts: 5,940 ✭✭✭✭✭

Technology has been improving productivity, in part by reducing the need for human labor. The cost of increased productivity has been going down as a result, and not up. It appears to me that this has been a major reason for wage stagnation, and relentless low inflation.

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

The DOW industrials have a better chance of doubling in the next five years.

bob :)

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,219 ✭✭✭✭✭

Isn't the new normal the new status quo?

Economists can't agree on forecasts. The best forecasters are the markets.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options

This article now seems to be behind a paywall. It wasn’t when I read it earlier (different browser even, cleared cache , etc).

@AUandAG said:

The Dow could be at 1,275,000...priced in fiat. The question is what will that paper fiat buy.

• Options

The markets are saying the paper fiat will still be good excepting 3-4% yearly inflation plus an unknown added yearly tariff inflation.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

@davidk said:

@AUandAG said:

The Dow could be at 1,275,000...priced in fiat. The question is what will that paper fiat buy.

More PM's... ;)

"Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options

@dpoole said:
    Technology has been improving productivity, in part by reducing the need for human labor. The cost of increased productivity has been going down as a result, and not up. It appears to me that this has been a major reason for wage stagnation, and relentless low inflation.

That makes sense but what doesn't make sense is employers across the nation lamenting a lack of available workers but wages don't even keep up with inflation.

Record low unemployment coupled with record high corporate profits and job openings but still wages barely move. The profits and job openings are real. Something else isn't or at least the way it's reported isn't realistic.

• Options

Lack of workers or lack of skilled workers?

• Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

@VanHalen said:

@dpoole said:

That makes sense but what doesn't make sense is employers across the nation lamenting a lack of available workers but wages don't even keep up with inflation.

Record low unemployment coupled with record high corporate profits and job openings but still wages barely move. The profits and job openings are real. Something else isn't or at least the way it's reported isn't realistic.

What isn't realistic is reporting "average" wages and saying they're flat.

Skilled wages are rising fast, because those jobs are hard to fill
    And worker with that experience hard to find.

But unskilled jobs keep the averages down, because they pay chit and have high turnover. Any able bodied person can work retail, but scientific and technical workers increasingly have options.

It's somewhat more difficult for middle aged straight white men though, seems employers these days are looking to fill diversity quotas, sorry charley.

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options

@Baley said:

@VanHalen said:

@dpoole said:

What isn't realistic is reporting "average" wages and saying they're flat.

Skilled wages are rising fast, because those jobs are hard to fill
    And worker with that experience hard to find.

But unskilled jobs keep the averages down, because they pay chit and have high turnover. Any able bodied person can work retail, but scientific and technical workers increasingly have options.

It's somewhat more difficult for middle aged straight white men though, seems employers these days are looking to fill diversity quotas, sorry charley.

I disagree skilled wages are rising fast, unless you consider 3% to 4% fast. Employers want skilled workers who are young and cheap (relatively). If they can't get young, cheap, skilled workers they whine about a lack of available workers.

It's a global economy that holds wages down (skilled and unskilled) and has for many years. That's not changing and will put more and more strain on already bloated government budgets in our country.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am retired from an executive position. I now get calls asking me to help (consult, fill in) and compensation offers that exceed pre-retirement levels. So, skill/experience is definitely in demand. Yes, they would like to higher younger, cheaper labor, however, it is in limited supply, and experience comes at a premium - and usually with age. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,851 ✭✭✭✭✭

Corporate slavery has never changed.

• Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,380 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm getting a bit fed up, so I asked them yesterday if they wanted me to stick around since they can't seem to get their act together. My liason said they want me to stay. It must be worse than I thought.

Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options

The Fed must be anticipating inflation. Fed funds rate up 25 basis points today with 4 more rate hikes planned over the next 12 months taking us over 3% by Fall of '19!

• Options

The inflation outlook will be on a fed res web site somewhere.

Their long term predictions aren't so good(they'd know about housing crashes causing great recessions if so) [[and I don't believe they caused the last several recessions. Dot.coms were outside and are still outside of their bubble popping mandates]]

• Options
    edited September 26, 2018 3:44PM

Today gold got cheaper

I guess Barron's is losing its mojo. :p

• Options
    edited September 26, 2018 3:56PM

@VanHalen said:
    The Fed must be anticipating inflation. Fed funds rate up 25 basis points today with 4 more rate hikes planned over the next 12 months taking us over 3% by Fall of '19!

It's from June but the more recent projections just need a better search

I'm doing spring cleaning in the fall and taking it easy right now

https://www.federalreserve.gov/monetarypolicy/fomcprojtabl20180613.htm

• Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭✭✭

"Articles" like this are usually dressed up advertisements by pm seller's. They are often true though.

• Options

@Smudge said:
    "Articles" like this are usually dressed up advertisements by pm seller's. They are often true though.

Interesting. I wonder which PM seller had the money to buy the Barron’s cover.

• Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭✭✭

@davidk said:

@Smudge said:

Interesting. I wonder which PM seller had the money to buy the Barron’s cover.

You are correct on that one. I have read too many on Coinflation.

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,212 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,380 ✭✭✭✭✭

Gold has gotten a bad rap.
    Long seen as the investment choice of the cranky and the fearful, the metal yields nothing; as Warren Buffett has said, it just “looks at you.”

Very interesting - my gold has never just "looked at me". :)

Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

What is happening with the prices of products that nobody buys??

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options

@jmski52 said:
    Gold has gotten a bad rap.
    Long seen as the investment choice of the cranky and the fearful, the metal yields nothing; as Warren Buffett has said, it just “looks at you.”

Very interesting - my gold has never just "looked at me". :)

What does Warren's cash do besides automatically depreciate by design?