Home Precious Metals
Options

Is anyone picking up physical silver today ?

thebeavthebeav Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭✭✭

I kinda popped my cookies with a 400 oz purchase 3 or 4 weeks ago. I'll have to grab more if it falls any further though.
I didn't exactly expect 14 bucks per.

Comments

• Options
    cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,621 ✭✭✭✭✭

I tried to buy some from a local coin shop/jewelry shop on Friday. He quoted me $3 over....he had 4 10oz bars. I didn't buy anything.

Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,203 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 4, 2018 11:34AM

yep, premiums are not falling in step with spot.

Keep an open mind, or get financially repressed -Zoltan Pozsar

• Options

• Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 4, 2018 11:49AM

I broke down & ordered me a few of these....First time ever for the Royal Mint ... 10 oz silver Britannia bar.

https://www.apmex.com/product/173009/10-oz-silver-bar-the-royal-mint-britannia

"Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭✭✭

The dip sale delivery drama stuff showed up.

• Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,147 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hoping to pick some up at the local coin show on Sunday.....also hoping prices stay down 'til then....

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,373 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am glad to see some sellers are wising up and listing things in the coins catageory rather than bullion so we can earn eBay Bucks on the purchase. :#

GrandAm :)
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

@derryb said:

Collectors gonna pay various levels of premium for Pretty, Neat, Rare, etc. Sellers know they can get spot ++ for the Cool stuff, why would anyone sell nice stuff cheap? Wanna pay "spot" or less? Easy, buy ugly impure silver!

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    LukeMarshallLukeMarshall Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭✭✭

Bought a big chunk.... FRIDAY
    You all get to thank me this time...

It's all about what the people want...

• Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Haven't purchased anything yet. Hoping the opportunity arises shortly !!! :)

Timbuk3
  • Options
    shinywhiteshinywhite Posts: 346 ✭✭✭

@OPA I seen those on my go-to site. I will grab a couple for myself. I hope they dont spot too bad.

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,842 ✭✭✭✭✭

Bought , sold, shipped.
    Another week of same , it appears.

• Options
    edited September 4, 2018 3:03PM

@derryb said:

Actually I could buy all day long for under $15....just not from rinky dink wannabe coin dealers. There is virtually unlimited silver available. The same dealer pay $1 under....so much for premiums.

• Options
    edited September 4, 2018 3:44PM

let me clarify for the intellectually impaired:

Premiums for quality silver products, particularly silver eagles, are not falling in step (at the same percentage) with spot.

Currently, premiums for quality silver products are at a most likely all time high.

• Options
    CoulportCoulport Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭
    edited September 4, 2018 4:44PM

Picked up two rolls of rounds at .90 over spot. That premium is down from the last time I bought.
    Edit to add, premium on 200 rounds would drop to 70 cents.

The most money I made are on coins I haven't sold.

Got quoins?
  • Options

@derryb said:

Premiums for quality silver products, particularly silver eagles, are not falling in step (at the same percentage) with spot.

Currently, premiums for quality silver products are at a most likely all time high.

Agree! Premiums on US flowing hair, draped bust, and capped bust silver are especially high!

• Options

@Baley said:

@derryb said:

Agree! Premiums on US flowing hair, draped bust, and capped bust silver are especially high!

let me clarify for the extremely intellectually impaired:

Premiums for quality silver bullion products are not falling in step with spot.

• Options
    edited September 4, 2018 5:10PM

Once one is collecting the stuff, the "quality" is just a matter of degree, isn't it? :o

• Options
    edited September 4, 2018 5:29PM

I prefer to be holding quality when it comes time to sell. To each his own.

• Options

Pick up 10 troy oz of some shiny white silver today. Got another slab coming in through the mail. I see everyone else got their bullion grade Krugerrands. I'm assuming my Ms 7o 2018 krugerrand will still ship any day now.(wish it would hurry)

• Options

@derryb said:
    I prefer to be holding quality when it comes time to sell. To each his own.

Indeed. I'd rather have the 5 gallon bucket of sterling silverware I bought at 75% of melt. At least it has some productive use.

• Options
    Mission16Mission16 Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭

Yep

• Options
    mariner67mariner67 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭

I am glad I have always had only a small % of my worth in precious metals.
    A small % as insirance as they say.
    Glad I have kept most of my savings in stocks and bonds.
    Just sayin’!

Successful trades/buys/sells with gdavis70, adriana, wondercoin, Weiss, nibanny, IrishMike, commoncents05, pf70collector, kyleknap, barefootjuan, coindeuce, WhiteTornado, Nefprollc, ajw, JamesM, PCcoins, slinc, coindudeonebay,beernuts, and many more
  • Options

It's all long term fellows. No need to be gloomy about things. If anyone gets into precious metals to get rich in a year or two is setting themselves up for potential failure. Also, if you spend every dime you have on pms then you are also setting yourself up for potential failure. This being said, whether you buy stocks, bonds ,or pms, nothing is 100% certain. I like silver and gold. It's a fun little hobby. I try not to make too much work about though. Just sayin

• Options
    GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,373 ✭✭✭✭✭

I picked up a 10 oz RCM bar from the link in derryb's post.
    I got the 10% bucks also.

Thanks!

GrandAm :)
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Quality product is always a bit more expensive. That being said, the main value of bullion is when melt value increases. So, for me, ugly ASE's (i.e. milk spotted, enameled) at melt can be good value. I would not mortgage the farm for them, but a reasonable purchase as the market drops would be a good thing. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,505 ✭✭✭✭✭

i ordered.

• Options
    Downtown1974Downtown1974 Posts: 6,723 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thinking of getting some more 90% on this dip. I’ve got bars and rounds up the wazoo. Good problem to have I suppose.

• Options
    achteyachtey Posts: 304 ✭✭✭

I went to the local coin shop to purchase some silver to find that they had no generic silver for sale which is really weird for them as I've been there every week for like the last year....but was able to pick up 6 back date silver eagles so I guess the trip wasn't a complete bust. I was a bit disappointed though.

The world meets no one half way. If you want it you have to go get it.
  • Options
    jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,596 ✭✭✭✭✭

One of the guys that helps me in the shop called a few places today to order some, and they seemed pretty busy on the phone. didn't know if that was folks buying or calling in to order. I have had little .999 come in the actual store lately so he was getting anxious to get some (for himself) not me

• Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

In the past when there have been drops I would find bargains on ebay in stuff I like but not lately. In fact it seems like sellers have raised those prices or there aren't very many listings.

Speaking of foreign coins I like to stack like mexican 5 pesos etc. and maria theresa thalers things of that nature.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I picked up an old Morgan, from a friend who just wanted to convert to cash.... Gave a few dollars over melt, no numismatic value. I like to give old, unloved Morgans a home... ;) Cheers, RickO

• Options

picked up 80 oz. of quality silver this past week. All earned bonus bucks.

• Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,373 ✭✭✭✭✭

Martin Armstrong says that the US stock market will continue to rise due to money fleeing Europe, China and the sovereign bond markets. He says that gold will rise a little later. He says that metals are insurance against government incompetence and the hunt for taxes. He says that all physical assets are the place to be.

I think that he makes sense, for the most part.

Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    jimineez1jimineez1 Posts: 439 ✭✭✭

Plenty of 90% available right now at 0%-2% over melt. Better yet, I picked some up last week on the bay & with ebay bucks & 2% credit card cash back it came out to just under 10x, which was about 5% under melt at the time.
    I think 90% is a good play if you are looking for silver currently.

Almost Over 100 successful deals on this forum spanning well over 10 years now, feel free to ask for references!
  • Options

@jmski52 said:
    Martin Armstrong says that the US stock market will continue to rise due to money fleeing Europe, China and the sovereign bond markets. He says that gold will rise a little later. He says that metals are insurance against government incompetence and the hunt for taxes. He says that all physical assets are the place to be.

I think that he makes sense, for the most part.

Armstrong is why I remain long with DUST, and continue to accumulate physical silver.

• Options

@cohodk said:

I'd rather have the 5 gallon bucket of sterling silverware I bought at 75% of melt. At least it has some productive use.

You'll need it to eat all that $10 spam.

• Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,294 ✭✭✭✭✭

A lot of folks were calling for PMs to continue downward a bit.....it's kind of why the overall recommendation is to use dollar cost averaging and not spend everything all at once.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options

@Bochiman said:
    A lot of folks were calling for PMs to continue downward a bit.....it's kind of why the overall recommendation is to use dollar cost averaging and not spend everything all at once.

I have a friend who went nuts buying two months ago that is all grumpy now. I said when I told you to check out the austrian 4 ducat coins I didn't say buy 8 of them in one day. :D I said buy one and if you like it maybe keep an eye out for more. He always does the same thing , sees a bit of a drop and goes in guns blazing then gets angry at himself because in this instance gold dropped like 150 from when he bought.

He forgets all about metals for a year , then spends every spare dollar then the price drops every time.

• Options

Tell him to quit reading ZeroHedge. LOL.

• Options
    BillDugan1959BillDugan1959 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 6, 2018 1:55PM

I bought a pretty fair amount of physical silver (Royal Canadian Mint bars) about 15% back (15% higher than today). No further discretionary funds available for a couple of weeks. Not crying here, silver has spanked my heinie in the past.

That fellow mentioned here a couple of times in the last part of this thread has a criminal record (financial fraud) which is a big big turn-off for me.

• Options

@derryb said:
    Tell him to quit reading ZeroHedge. LOL.

He doesn't read anything , he just has no control. He binges on metals , then computer equipment , sports cards , high end cameras. He knows a lot about all these areas but has no control over spending

• Options
    edited September 6, 2018 4:45PM

@BillDugan1959 said:

That fellow mentioned here a couple of times in the last part of this thread has a criminal record (financial fraud) which is a big big turn-off for me.

Read the details on Armstrong's incarceration. Some countries have political prisoners, we have financial prisoners.

• Options

@Bochiman said:
    A lot of folks were calling for PMs to continue downward a bit....

iNTERESTING ;)

• Options
    USASoccerUSASoccer Posts: 445 ✭✭✭

Sterling crap at 40 cents a gram...

• Options
    BillDugan1959BillDugan1959 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

@derryb said:

@BillDugan1959 said:

Read the details on Xxxxx's incarceration. Some countries have political prisoners, we have financial prisoners.

Read all about it a long time ago. Actually, I used to read some of the stuff he was publishing from prison. The person in question is a convicted financial fraudster. He made his own incarceration much longer than necessary through his personal contempt of direct orders from the federal courts. A total of nearly 11 years in prison. Not the kind of person I want investment advice from.

• Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,147 ✭✭✭✭✭

Picked up some 90% at our monthly show today.
    Was hoping to find some at 10X, but no one was selling that low, and a lot of
    guys were either out, or down to just dimes and quarters.....~30 dealer show.

Best I could do was 10.5X on a group of walkers and 10.4X on Merc dimes.

Very few 10oz bars on the floor, and I was quoted $165 - hard pass.
    Was offered a 100 oz Engelhard for $1475, but after talking to a friend there who dabbles in
    PM, he thought I should do better, so decided to pass.

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options

I couldnt help myself. It's been ordered for over a month....just now came in