Home U.S. Coin Forum

Comments

• SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,452 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2, 2018 12:59PM

Great coins. Can't decide if I like the holders or not. They do not fit with others, but sure look impressive. Edit to add I would like the gold coin better with some crust.

• BStrauss3BStrauss3 Posts: 3,352 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Lakesammman has a couple of other interesting pieces up, including a white label rattler (107xxxx).

-----Burton
    ANA 50 year/Life Member (now "Emeritus")
  • KellenCoinKellenCoin Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭✭

I think they'll hammer at what they are at now, $2324 and $2999.

CCAC Representative of the General Public
    Columnist for The Numismatist
    2021 Young Numismatist of the Year

• MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,674 ✭✭✭✭✭

@KellenCoin said:

Any old holder premium in those prices?

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • U1chicagoU1chicago Posts: 5,922 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MsMorrisine said:

@KellenCoin said:

Any old holder premium in those prices?

Yes there is a holder premium in those prices. We’ll see the final premium when the auctions end.

• CameonutCameonut Posts: 7,278 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've recently had the chance to buy inexpensive coins in Regency holders for a little over $750. Included bag and photos.
    So I'd put the holder premium at about $700-750. Got one in hand and returned it.

Any other experiences?

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

My digital cameo album 1950-64 Cameos - take a look!

@Cameonut said:
    I've recently had the chance to buy inexpensive coins in Regency holders for a little over $750. Included bag and photos.
    So I'd put the holder premium at about $700-750. Got one in hand and returned it.

Any other experiences?

Were those the Danny Kaye Israeli coins?
    If so, they used to sell in the $400-$600 range, so $750 would be a bit high in my opinion.
    A common date Morgan ($50-$65 coin) would likely run over $1k.

• CameonutCameonut Posts: 7,278 ✭✭✭✭✭

@U1chicago said:

@Cameonut said:

Any other experiences?

If so, they used to sell in the $400-$600 range, so $750 would be a bit high in my opinion.

Yes, was Danny Kaye,
    Since we are trying to determine holder value, it seems like the low end is more like $450 to $700. If a Morgan, then $1k.

So maybe the coin in the holder makes a huge difference which makes it harder to determine holder value.

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

My digital cameo album 1950-64 Cameos - take a look!

@Cameonut said:

@U1chicago said:

@Cameonut said:

Any other experiences?

Yes, was Danny Kaye,
    Since we are trying to determine holder value, it seems like the low end is more like $450 to $700. If a Morgan, then $1k.

So maybe the coin in the holder makes a huge difference which makes it harder to determine holder value.

True; the most common world coins, the Danny Kaye Israeli coins, make up the majority of coins in the Regency holders. So, the premium on those is lower. Morgans are less common, so the premium is around $1k. Other type coins can be quite scarce in these holders, so the premium is even higher. Truly unique coins, like the one below, would have monster premiums.

• BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

Popcorn time as the final few minute countdown begins :D

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!

1876 20C sells for $3051 with a second bid in the last 4 seconds.

1837 $5 jumps in the last 7 seconds with 2 more bids (9 bids total) to $3,105.06.

• jonrunsjonruns Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭✭✭

It is estimated approximately 700 coins were put into Regency Holders, roughly half of them Israeli coins from the Danny Kaye collection.

• ParadisefoundParadisefound Posts: 8,588 ✭✭✭✭✭

What a beautiful coin probably would fetch much more of the big auction house ;)

• 3keepSECRETif2rDEAD3keepSECRETif2rDEAD Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭✭✭

...I literally know nothing about these coins or holders...but I have a feeling for 3 racks each, somebody scored big time...Awesome ;)

• mt_mslamt_msla Posts: 815 ✭✭✭✭

I remember way back when, when these were offered.

I thought they were terrible then.

Opinion hasn't changed.

Insert witicism here. [ xxx ]

• mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

@mt_msla said:
    I remember way back when, when these were offered.

I thought they were terrible then.

Opinion hasn't changed.

I agree.
    The holder is ungainly and horribly ugly.
    It looks like it would belong on a coffee table in a 1972 living room.

Congrats to @Lakesammman on the sale!!! I assume he was pleased with the prices realized.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Seems like an attractive slab....I do not have any, and would not pay a premium for one. But I like the color and the overall look of the slab. Far more aesthetically appealing than the standard. Cheers, RickO

• astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭

Love that double dime! Congrats to the new owner.

Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces

@ricko said:
    Seems like an attractive slab....I do not have any, and would not pay a premium for one. But I like the color and the overall look of the slab. Far more aesthetically appealing than the standard. Cheers, RickO

I agree with you in terms of color...the dark green looks especially good with gold coins...the issue which is less evident in these photos is that due to their size the Regency doesn't fit in a lot of standard slab cases...same problem that owners of the new Shipwreck coins (the ones with the pinch) face...

• BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,799 ✭✭✭✭✭

When I was a dealer, I handled one coin that was in one of these holders. It was an 1808, normal date (not the overdate) half cent, and I think that the grade was AU, although I forget the exact number. The coin was very nice, and the 1808 half cent actually quite scarce in that grade.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • ECHOESECHOES Posts: 2,974 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jonruns said:
    Congrats to @Lakesammman on the sale!!! I assume he was pleased with the prices realized.

+1

~HABE FIDUCIAM IN DOMINO III V VI / III XVI~
    POST NUBILA PHOEBUS / AFTER CLOUDS, SUN
    Love for Music / Collector of Dreck
  • LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,357 ✭✭✭✭✭

Happy with the results, especially the gold coin. Labor day weekend isn't a great time to end an auction but took advantage of the "list 5 fee free" coupon from the ANA.

"My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 31,051 ✭✭✭✭✭

I get stuff from eBay for 50 or more free listings at a time.

theknowitalltroll;
  • LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,357 ✭✭✭✭✭

This was different - no final value fee, not a free listing - those are common.

"My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file