Home Precious Metals
Options

Engelhard Pressed 2oz Gold Bar Rarity?

ProofmorganProofmorgan Posts: 715 ✭✭✭✭✭

I tend to think presses/modern bars aren’t that rare. I did find a 2oz Engelhard Gold bar with the maple leaf, pressed. I’ve never seen one or heard of them in that size (seen/heard of the 1oz).....but at $250 over per oz.......thoughts?

Collector of Original Early Gold with beginnings in Proof Morgan collecting.

Comments

• Options
    GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,376 ✭✭✭✭✭

As Mike Wolf would say,,,,,, "The time to buy something is when you see it"

Have you seen other similar bars and at what price?

GrandAm :)
  • Options
    rte592rte592 Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭✭✭

@GRANDAM said:
    As Mike Wolf would say,,,,,, "The time to buy something is when you see it"

Have you seen other similar bars and at what price?

"The time to buy something is when you see it" With discovery channel's money.

I'd go to the allengelhard site and see if its listed, check for rarity and if not listed...take pictures and email them to ask questions.

• Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

Any kind of collectible bar is the greater fool theory in action . No way in a down market . No way in an upmarket. Open a coin shop and buy gold bars $250 back of melt and resell for melt , much better plan

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,564 ✭✭✭✭✭

@bronco2078 said:

Any kind of collectible bar is the greater fool theory in action . No way in a down market . No way in an upmarket. Open a coin shop and buy gold bars $250 back of melt and resell for melt , much better plan

Is that what you do?

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good luck !!! :)

Timbuk3
  • Options

No I don't have a shop . I'm saying I've never seen a shop pay a premium for a bar , they would go out of business. Bars are the plainest type of bullion out there , that is kind of the point of a bar. Paying a premium for a bar defeats the whole purpose of the very existence of the bar format. Its like needing to drive a nail in a board , passing over a shelf of hammers , selecting a screwdriver and flailing away.

Why do bullion stackers go out of their way to sabotage themselves? I mean why not avoid the obvious pitfalls for a change? Would it kill a stacker to just admit he isn't the one guy that will figure out the proper way to make money over the carcasses of 1000's of idiots that came before.

Collectible bars , military intelligence , jumbo shrimp

Freud would have a field day with this crap.

• Options

@Baley said:
    Collectors gonna collect. Non collectors not gonna understand.

I collect coins , I get collecting, but a bar is like a fresh planchet that hasn't been struck into a coin yet. 10 million others just like it. The value is the weight the purity and the content. A bar is deliberately not special, not at all special.

So there are guys who will pay up for bars they think are somehow special , the goal is not to be that guy , but to sell a bar , that you did not pay extra for , to that guy B)

• Options
    ProofmorganProofmorgan Posts: 715 ✭✭✭✭✭

So I haven’t see one like this before. Google images and AllEngelhard have not yielded any results. Plenty of 2 oz poured specimens (although rare on their own), but nothing pressed. It’s an odd size and looks like the 1oz but thicker. It’s being sold by Apmex. It’s been with them for a couple months at least. Thee price seems excessive, especially since they likely paid melt or less.

It’s more intriguing to me than anything.

It reminds me of when a few years back I bought a JM 11.268g presser gold bar at a B&M for $350. Strange size. I needed money a few months later so I put it on eBay and the bids shot over $900 and someone ended up buying it via message for $1250.

Collector of Original Early Gold with beginnings in Proof Morgan collecting.
  • Options

@Proofmorgan said:
    I’ve never seen one or heard of them in that size (seen/heard of the 1oz).....but at $250 over per oz.......thoughts?

I looked it up, Nice Bar.
    Keep in mind they don't make them anymore.....RARE.
    It's only $150 an ounce more then a commercially available bar, that anyone can buy.

You could immortalize it on the allengelhard site...that's got to be worth something :D

• Options
    edited September 2, 2018 7:38PM

@bronco2078 said:

Why do bullion stackers go out of their way to sabotage themselves?

I see the Freud issue...Your confusing bullion stacker and collector.

• Options

@rte592 said:

@bronco2078 said:

Not me , just the half of stackers that suddenly decide to collect nonsense and the half of collectors that decide to stack bullion :D . The patient becomes confused and neither stacks nor collects but adopts the most insane traits of each.

If you start as a stacker then you are screwed if you then start collecting. You know the value of the metal but you talk yourself into all sorts of fantasy valuations of mundane bullion. Lists and spreadsheets and researching things that won't ever matter . Buy that stupid commemorative coin book and have a plan to strike it rich :D , buying a ticket on the titanic would have been more prudent. #Key Date bullion :D

If you start as a collector and morph into a stacker you can't pull the trigger and sell and you just ride it all the way down to 3$ an ounce . You lose everything. Oh I'm a collector/stacker sure gold is tanking , but I only need one more date to complete this mind numbing set of half ounce proof AGE's I've been working on. Then you know its irreversible and at some point you find yourself getting on a boat, going out to international waters and marrying a sack of half dollars with a mercury dime for a best man :D

• Options

@bronco2078 said:

@rte592 said:

@bronco2078 said:

Not me , just the half of stackers that suddenly decide to collect nonsense and the half of collectors that decide to stack bullion :D . The patient becomes confused and neither stacks nor collects but adopts the most insane traits of each.

If you start as a stacker then you are screwed if you then start collecting. You know the value of the metal but you talk yourself into all sorts of fantasy valuations of mundane bullion. Lists and spreadsheets and researching things that won't ever matter . Buy that stupid commemorative coin book and have a plan to strike it rich :D , buying a ticket on the titanic would have been more prudent. #Key Date bullion :D

If you start as a collector and morph into a stacker you can't pull the trigger and sell and you just ride it all the way down to 3$ an ounce . You lose everything. Oh I'm a collector/stacker sure gold is tanking , but I only need one more date to complete this mind numbing set of half ounce proof AGE's I've been working on. Then you know its irreversible and at some point you find yourself getting on a boat, going out to international waters and marrying a sack of half dollars with a mercury dime for a best man :D

I'm not sure where of IF I even fit in to that equation.
    I buy what I like or items for pennies on the dollar.
    I'm more of a bullion collector,
    figuring I'll never have a collection of any one type set because of the pesky Key dates.
    That's fine,I like variety and I'm happy with the one of everything philosophy.

• Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

@bronco2078 said:

@rte592 said:

@bronco2078 said:

Good God man, you're raving! Been hitting up the top shelf bourbon today? Me too!

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    Downtown1974Downtown1974 Posts: 6,727 ✭✭✭✭✭

Bronco, collectors aren’t selling 3 oz. poured Engelhards to “we buy gold” shops. Collectors are selling to other collectors. Collectors have a narrower audience of buyers than stackers, but I hardly think it’s a foolish play.

• Options

@Downtown1974 said:
    Bronco, collectors aren’t selling 3 oz. poured Engelhards to “we buy gold” shops. Collectors are selling to other collectors. Collectors have a narrower audience of buyers than stackers, but I hardly think it’s a foolish play.

Well no because they can't sell to anyone that sees only the metal value . It's a ridiculously narrow audience and one that's ripe for manipulation . The ebay venue where a lot of the pricing comes from is subject to rigged auctions. Shill bidding , phony sales to bidders working with the seller , plus ebay obfuscating completed sales more and more . Then you have a scarcity of information as to how rare a particular bar is and do you trust the source of that info, When the source probably has a vested interest in fudging the numbers.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

OK then... bullion is bullion, be it bar, round or coin. That being said, as long as there are 'collectors', there will be a market - read that as profit - in selling these items. A long time ago, a wise person told me, "Find a way to nail two boards together, that no one else has done, and you will sell it for a premium."...A bit simplistic, but the point is valid. Of course, when everyone starts nailing boards together like that, the value disappears... so be the first. ;) Cheers, RickO

• Options
    WildIdeaWildIdea Posts: 1,875 ✭✭✭✭✭

@bronco2078 said:

@rte592 said:

@bronco2078 said:

That good reading right there! Love it. I’ll add Soul Mate, True Love to your oxymorons. Nevertheless,

I think the collectible bars thing is like the USS Central America Kellogg and Humbert gold bars. Sure, they were considered weight at the time the ship sunk, but now they are treasures valued at much higher levels than that, and other Bars from assayers of yester year are similarly valued higher than weight based on interest and survivability.

Ridiculous low mintsges of Homestake gold mine “Bars” are def not being sold for weight, especially now that the mine has been closed since 2002.

I could go on, I agree though that say a currently produced bar from brands like Silvertown, OPM, MCM, Ampex and are wildly and readily available and can be purchased for pretty close to spot prices, but if they go belly up and time marches on and the bars become scarce and start to dry up, then the values will increase, no doubt.

With a quick search to make sure Engelhard isn’t back or still around, they are not making anymore of these particular bars the OP asked about. It appears the question was based on trying to be on top of a shifting value trend. That’s pretty reasonable to me. In fact, I would prob just get the bar for a little premium, if the premium cost would equal the enjoyment of owning it.

• Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

To paraphrase what our one time poster (Bongo) posted about 10 years ago, and I quote: (just substitute gold bar for coin)

IF YOU BUY WHAT YOU LIKE, AT A PRICE YOU CAN AFFORD AT THE TIME, THEN THINGS WILL BE EASIER
    IF YOU BUY WHAT OTHER PEOPLE LIKE, BORROW TO FUND IT AND EXPECT MULTIPLES OF RETURN, THEN YOU ARE LIKELY TO BE UNHAPPY.
    BONGO SAY NEARLY EVERYTHING DEPRECIATES OVER TIME.BONGO WOULD NOT PAY $500 FOR A SILVER BELL THIS XMAS AND EXPECT IT TO BE WORTH $550 NEXT YEAR. BUT BONGO KNOW A SILVER BELL IS NOT OLD COIN.
    OR IS IT.

BONGO MAYBE NOT SURPRISED THAT OLD COIN IS LIKE ANY OTHER LIMITED NON ESSENTIAL COMMODITY AND SUBJECT TO THE WHIMS OF TASTE AND MARKET. PUT THE COIN IN BOOK AND ENJOY IT. IF IT IS WORTH MORE WHEN YOU COME TO SELL IT, WELL DONE. IF NOT, THEN YOU HAVE HAD ENJOYMENT OUT OF IT.

REMEMBER THAT OLD COIN IS ONLY WORTH FEW DOLLARS IN PHYSICAL MATERIAL VALUE - THIS IS WHY VALUE IS AN ESOTERIC CONCEPT IN MANY WAYS AND IT MAY BE VULGAR TO ASSIGN ANY MONETARY VALUE TO OLD COIN

UNLESS YOU ARE A RUSSIAN OLIGARCH OR CHINESE SHODDY GOODS FACTORY OWNER

"Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,694 ✭✭✭✭✭

I will admit to spending a little extra for the scarcer bars. >:)

• Options

@ricko said:

A long time ago, a wise person told me, "Find a way to nail two boards together, that no one else has done, and you will sell it for a premium."...A bit simplistic, but the point is valid. Of course, when everyone starts nailing boards together like that, the value disappears... so be the first. ;)

I think I know one of his students.
    Buisness man once said get 2 people together and get out before the glue drys.

• Options
    downeydowney Posts: 1
    edited February 18, 2020 9:27PM

I have one of these Englehard 2 oz bars, I bought it from a local coin shop 4 years ago, the dealer has since gone out of business. I was trying to sell it a couple of years ago to another dealer, and they asked where I got it, as they had never heard of one. I found this website while looking to see how rare it is. I realize this thread is old, but hopefully others will chime in with their opinions.
    Thanks all

• Options
    SimpleCollectorSimpleCollector Posts: 536 ✭✭✭✭✭

I realize this is an old thread, but I found the comment from 2018 very insightful. Per a post I made without seeing this, I found the question about if you are a stacker that starts collecting or a collector that starts stacking ....actually a very interesting thing to reflect on....while I do agree that there will always be some collectors and some stuff selling over premium, the average joe, will not sell or be able to take advantage of that....so I think either view could work, but people should reflect what there actual goal is....for me, I am slowly moving towards stacking, anything I buy that is nicer(at a premium) is my hobby expense...but I know it and calculate the cost....I won’t be buying stuff with big premiums over melt, but for a cool looking bar, may pay a few dollars over melt....my 2 cents