Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Curious as to why no one bid on this...any opinions?

HallcoHallco Posts: 3,627 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just ended. This is the same coin and grade(not the exact, but an example of) as a dealer in Dalton was selling for more than double the opening amount. I am looking for a little better condition and a little dirtier for myself, but I was surprised that it did not get any bids. What am I missing?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1921-S-Walking-Liberty-Half-PCGS-VG10-Great-Eye-Appeal-Nice-Strike-/142915733633?no

Make sure to "View Original Item" Thanks Ebay! ;)

Comments

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,540 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 31, 2018 3:22PM

nevermind, clicked on a current auction....my bad.
    Overpriced is all. If straight graded the value would be there. But, it's raw.

bob

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options

@AUandAG

Please "View Original Item"! :D

• Options
    tommy44tommy44 Posts: 2,195 ✭✭✭✭✭

Who knows. Looks like a nice well struck super clean example for the grade that would fit nicely in a circulated set of walkers.

it's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

• Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭✭✭

So many coins on eBay, some just get overlooked.

• Options
    CameonutCameonut Posts: 7,258 ✭✭✭✭✭

Maybe nobody is looking for a VG10 - either higher or lower.

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

My digital cameo album 1950-64 Cameos - take a look!

• Options
    U1chicagoU1chicago Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭✭✭

My guess is one of two things:

1. Many people ignore auctions that don't start at a low number (like $0.99); even if the item starts at a fair price, people have a notion that it's not a good deal anymore
    2. An NGC VG 10 sold for $78.50 on August 26...if someone is looking to resell, they see that price and don't think a PCGS example at the same grade is worth it at $115.
  • Options
    dcarrdcarr Posts: 8,008 ✭✭✭✭✭

Clicked on the link, was taken to a "similar" item currently available.
    That item being a Chinese "1921" Walking Liberty.
    **** **** eBay !

• Options
    CameonutCameonut Posts: 7,258 ✭✭✭✭✭

I had no trouble viewing the original item. Perhaps that has disappeared.

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

My digital cameo album 1950-64 Cameos - take a look!

• Options

Thanks for the replies everyone. I think there are some good explanations here. I'm holding off to find a solid 12 or maybe 15, but I wanted to follow this one to see if the dealer price in Dalton was excessive...and it appears as though it was!

• Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,150 ✭✭✭✭✭

I didn't look, as someone stated it is no longer visible, but the 21S walker
    is relatively common in all grades up to and including VF20.
    There are plenty of problem free lower grade examples around raw and slabbed,
    just wait and you will find one that is attractive and reasonably priced.

Now if you were looking for an XF or AU example, your selection drops to almost nil.
    Very interesting date from a condition perspective.

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    RayboRaybo Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Hallco said:
    Just ended. This is the same coin and grade(not the exact, but an example of) as a dealer in Dalton was selling for more than double the opening amount. I am looking for a little better condition and a little dirtier for myself, but I was surprised that it did not get any bids. What am I missing?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1921-S-Walking-Liberty-Half-PCGS-VG10-Great-Eye-Appeal-Nice-Strike-/142915733633?no

Make sure to "View Original Item" Thanks Ebay! ;)

Would fit in perfectly with my set...What's not to like?

• Options
    RayboRaybo Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Walkerguy21D said:
    I didn't look, as someone stated it is no longer visible, but the 21S walker
    is relatively common in all grades up to and including VF20.
    There are plenty of problem free lower grade examples around raw and slabbed,
    just wait and you will find one that is attractive and reasonably priced.

Now if you were looking for an XF or AU example, your selection drops to almost nil.
    Very interesting date from a condition perspective.

It's as fake as fake can be Walkerguy21D, almost made me puke just looking at it.

• Options
    edited August 31, 2018 8:42PM

Posting pics for those of you who could not find the original listing. It was started at $115 and got zero bids. The dealer I mentioned in Dalton had his priced at $260.00!

Still seems like it wouid have been a good price. I just got scared away by the lack of bidding and thought I was missing something. @Walkerguy21D says though...I will find another one that is dirtier and a little better grade that I like better :)

• Options
    au58au58 Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭

Looks like a decent example. Send him a note with an offer.

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

The thing doesn’t look right to me. I think that it is a counterfeit. The lack of detail on the high points of the reverse design combined with “mint luster” is disturbing. The design resembles the real thing, but is not quite right.

Having said that, I am surprised that no one bid. Usually bidders flock to “bargain priced” counterfeits on eBay. Maybe they need to be in counterfeit grading holders to get the unwarranted attention these days.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    giorgio11giorgio11 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

@tommy44 said:
    Who knows. Looks like a nice well struck super clean example for the grade that would fit nicely in a circulated set of walkers.

@tommy44 I agree with this. @Hallco I think it's a no-problem coin (if you ignore some minor fingerprint traces in the left obv. field). @BillJones if you clicked the original link it did come up and show a Chinese counterfeit, from that page you have to click "View Original Item."

My two 1909 VDB cents.

Kind regards,

George

VDBCoins.com Our Registry Sets Many successful BSTs; pls ask.
  • Options
    ARCOARCO Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭✭✭

Coin has nice color and looks to be problem free. The Ebay auction history has other PC VG10's going from the $120-$150 range. Looked liked a solid deal at the listed price. Perhaps bidders felt it was closer to a VG8 range?

• Options
    edited September 1, 2018 6:10AM

Agree the original coin (not the pop up fake) was solid for the grade at VG10.

Looking at auction records on Coinfacts, most seem to sell for right around the initial
    bid price, some lower, some slightly higher. With many hundreds from which to choose,
    I'm guessing no one was currently in the market for one at this grade level that was fairly priced;
    it happens.

As for the dealer in GA asking $260- that's F15 money....either he was real proud of that coin, or was hoping for an unknowledgeable retail collector to come along and make his day. I highly doubt it was undergraded by that much.

To the OP - what are seeking? are you building a matched set, or just want walker dated 1921, in the highest affordable grade? If the latter, you chose the best of the threesome, and coins graded F12/15 aren't too outrageous. If the former, bear in mind the 21D in true F12/15 is tougher to locate, and will likely run you well >$400.

And there is nothing wrong with mixing grades....my 21 threesome is a 58, a 53, and an XF40, for the 21P, D, and S, respectively. And the 21P was the cheap one, and the 21S by far the most expensive.

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

The coin in the original listing looks fairly graded. I would say that likely no one was seeking a VG10 at this time....Many collectors shy away from lower grades. I have noticed this among newer collectors quite frequently. Cheers, RickO

• Options

@Walkerguy21D said:
    Agree the original coin (not the pop up fake) was solid for the grade at VG10.

Looking at auction records on Coinfacts, most seem to sell for right around the initial
    bid price, some lower, some slightly higher. With many hundreds from which to choose,
    I'm guessing no one was currently in the market for one at this grade level that was fairly priced;
    it happens.

As for the dealer in GA asking $260- that's F15 money....either he was real proud of that coin, or was hoping for an unknowledgeable retail collector to come along and make his day. I highly doubt it was undergraded by that much.

To the OP - what are seeking? are you building a matched set, or just want walker dated 1921, in the highest affordable grade? If the latter, you chose the best of the threesome, and coins graded F12/15 aren't too outrageous. If the former, bear in mind the 21D in true F12/15 is tougher to locate, and will likely run you well >$400.

And there is nothing wrong with mixing grades....my 21 threesome is a 58, a 53, and an XF40, for the 21P, D, and S, respectively. And the 21P was the cheap one, and the 21S by far the most expensive.

I would ultimately like to have all the early dates and mintmarks from 16-23 in F12/15 with original and some would call dirty surfaces. I chose 21-S(along with two others) to start my new journey because it was one of the coins I remember wanting before I left collecting and never acquired.

• Options
    edited September 1, 2018 7:27AM

**I would ultimately like to have all the early dates and mintmarks from 16-23 in F12/15 with original and some would call dirty surfaces. **

Excellent goal! Those dates at that grade level look nice, and represent a challenging but attainable project. Best of luck in your endeavor.

• Options

@Walkerguy21D Thank you sir! :)

• Options
    BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,413 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ARCO said:
    Coin has nice color and looks to be problem free. The Ebay auction history has other PC VG10's going from the $120-$150 range. Looked liked a solid deal at the listed price. Perhaps bidders felt it was closer to a VG8 range?

I Dunno. It is a nice, clean solid VG-10 leaning more towards f-12 IMHOP. Stuff happens.

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file