Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Anyone else has a $5 gold half eagle

markelman1125markelman1125 Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭✭✭

I got this cool half eagle several weeks ago and was wondering who also has one of these

Comments

• Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice coin! I wish I owned one of those. Are you working on a gold type set?

• Options

Cool thanks for sharing

• Options
    dpooledpoole Posts: 5,940 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options

I really like the appearance of the Ms 63 coin and it’s cool to see the half eagle from 1852 before the motto was introduced

• Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice, thanks for sharing !!! :)

Timbuk3
  • Options
    RWMRWM Posts: 205 ✭✭✭

@asheland said:
    Welcome to the boards!
    I got this one a few months ago:

Really like the type set your putting together.

• Options

These coins are really cool, old U.S liberty head coins reminds me of the old west.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Mine is a 1909 D $5 Indian.... Have posted it here many times...Cheers, RickO

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,686 ✭✭✭✭✭

@RWM said:

@asheland said:
    Welcome to the boards!
    I got this one a few months ago:

Really like the type set your putting together.

Thank you!

• Options
    ECHOESECHOES Posts: 2,974 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 1, 2018 5:18PM

@Colonialcoin said:

@CharlotteDude said:
    I have a few... most of them have peculiar "C" mintmarks on them, though.

Awesome!!

Indeed! :#

Edit,
    This is where the 'Holy Crap' button is needed...

~HABE FIDUCIAM IN DOMINO III V VI / III XVI~
    POST NUBILA PHOEBUS / AFTER CLOUDS, SUN
    Love for Music / Collector of Dreck
  • Options
    JRoccoJRocco Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭✭

Some coins are just plain "Interesting"
  • Options

Cool, Indians are cool, I do have a Indian quarter eagle from 1929

• Options

Wow that’s a lot of half eagle coooooool!!!

• Options

Wow a 1838 d that’s so cool, Those are vary rare especially with the Dahlonega mint mark, cool

• Options

Wow that’s cool, are mint errors on coins from the period on gold U.S coins must be vary valuable.

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,481 ✭✭✭✭✭

@markelman1125 said:
    Wow that’s cool, are mint errors on coins from the period on gold U.S coins must be vary valuable.

On older coins, from the 19th century, mint errors can actually lower the value. Collectors of this material are looking for the most pristine examples, and mint errors, like off-center strikes and clipped planchettes can interfere with that.

By the way, a die break is not viewed as a mint error. Coloectors view them as die states, which are indicators of die deterioration and wear. Die breaks can increase or decrease the value of the coin. Knowing which breaks are worth more or less gets complicated and requires specialized expertise about a specific series.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    LukeMarshallLukeMarshall Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BillJones said:
    I might has well introduce you to one of the first half eagles. A lot of hand work went into the dies that were used to strike these coins. That resulted in minor differences. There are 12 known varieties of the 1795 Small Eagle $5 gold. This is one of the more common varieties. I have been a collector for more than 55 years, and it took a long time to finally add one of these pieces to my type set.

This coin is Beautiful

It's all about what the people want...

• Options
    WillieBoyd2WillieBoyd2 Posts: 5,036 ✭✭✭✭✭

I won this coin at a coin club raffle in 1964.

United States gold $5 1846

I still have it.

:)

https://www.brianrxm.com
    The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
    Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television

• Options

WOW! The best I every did at winning coins was a modern commemorative silver dollar.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options

Thanks for the advice BillJones. Ow that’s Such a cool coin, 1795 half eagle, that is a vary valuable and vary vary rare coin minted only 3 years after the U.S mint opend. I only seen one in a museum in Baltimore. Congratulations LukeMarshall. You have a real treasure, a true peace of history!!!

• Options
    edited September 2, 2018 7:43PM

congratulations WillieBoyd2 that is a dreem to win at a raffle, cool !!!!

• Options
    skier07skier07 Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭✭✭

A favorite of mine.

• Options

Cool thanks for showing

• Options
    mrcommemmrcommem Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭✭

I love Bill Jones 38-C. I am still looking for one for my Charlotte type set. They are very hard to find in high grade with nice eye appeal and original.

• Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,885 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options
    brianc1959brianc1959 Posts: 341 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BillJones said:
    I might has well introduce you to one of the first half eagles. A lot of hand work went into the dies that were used to strike these coins. That resulted in minor differences. There are 12 known varieties of the 1795 Small Eagle $5 gold. This is one of the more common varieties. I have been a collector for more than 55 years, and it took a long time to finally add one of these pieces to my type set.

That's a great coin! Is your type set on the registry? I would love to see it!

• Options

@brianc1959 said:

@BillJones said:

That's a great coin! Is your type set on the registry? I would love to see it!

It is on the NGC Registry. I have completed those type coin registries from the half cent to the old commemorative gold.

• Options
    cheezhedcheezhed Posts: 5,686 ✭✭✭✭✭

Some truly beautiful and historic half eagle treasures.

Many happy BST transactions
  • Options
    jwittenjwitten Posts: 5,076 ✭✭✭✭✭

I mostly collect $2 1/2 coins, but have a few interesting $5 as well:

• Options
    edited September 5, 2018 12:56PM

These coins are so beautiful !!!!

• Options
    cheezhedcheezhed Posts: 5,686 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here's mine:

Many happy BST transactions