Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Two 1856 Presidential Campaign Tokens for Millard Filmore

BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

Millard Filmore was one of those “accidental presidents” who went to the Whitehouse when Zachary Taylor died in 1850. Filmore is best remembered for the Compromise of 1850, which included the infamous Fugitive Slave Law. In fairness to Filmore, that was the only provision of the law that really gave anything to the South. Given the political climate at the time, it is doubtful that any politician could have solved the slavery question without a war. I am of the opinion that the Civil War was inevitable. The South simply had too invested in slaves, and they were not about to give up that investment without a fight.

Filmore was the last Whig Party president, and by 1856 the Whig Party was no more. The new Republican Party nominated John C. Fremont and the Democrats chose James Buchanan. The American or “Know Nothing” Party picked Filmore as their nominee.

The Know Nothing Party was made up of nativists who opposed granting almost any political influence to immigrants. They were especially concerned about the Catholic Church and its influence over potential immigrant voters. They thought that the church wanted to take over the United States via the immigrant vote.

The organization had its roots in the 1844, and this piece that was issued on behalf of Henry Clay is the earliest anti-immigrant token in my collection. Interestingly the Samuel Morse, inventor of the Morse Code, was one of the most famous members of the movement.

The American Party's roots went back to a secret society, The Order of the Star Spangled Banner, which got its start in 1849. When one of its members were asked about the activities of the group they were instructed to respond that "They knew nothing." This was how the group got its nickname.

The American Party reach its zenith in 1854 when it elected 52 members to the House of Representatives. Its popularity was in decline when Millard Filmore accepted the party nomination for president in 1856. It’s been said that Filmore did not agree with the party’s extreme views on immigration, but he accepted the nomination because it provided him with a possible path to the Whitehouse.

Here are the only two Filmore tokens that include Know Nothing Party slogans. This one is fairly common and the slogan makes its point in a somewhat roundabout way, “Be vigilant and watchful that internal dissentions destroy not your prosperity.”

This second piece is quite rare. I just won this one in an auction. It was not mentioned in the 19th century literature, and there were no examples of this piece in the John Ford Collection. I have only seen a couple other examples. It's pretty beat up, but given its crude execution, it's not a bad example. The slogan is very clean, "Americans shall rule America."

The American or "Know Nothing" Party disapeared at the dawn of the Civil War. Many of its northern members were opposed to slavery which led them to join the Republicans. The southern branch members mostly supported John Bell and the Constitutional Union Party.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?

Comments

• Options
    RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very interesting tokens. Seems the "Know Nothings" and their ilk haven't disappeared, Odd for a country in which the only real natives were largely disenfranchised, and the immigrants and their descendants ran things.

• Options

Concerns about immigration have been big political issue for much of our nation’s history. There is a big difference between the Know Nothings, who basically opposed ALL immigration and those who are concerned about how it should be an orderly process. I had this discussion with a coin dealer, who was a Syrian immigrate, who came to this country 20 years ago. He and I agreed. I support legal immigration, but I oppose open borders.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

Interesting tokens, thanks for posting.

• Options
    CWT1863CWT1863 Posts: 316 ✭✭✭✭

Very interesting. Thank you for sharing!

ANA-LM, CWTS-LM, NBS, TAMS, ANS

• Options
    sparky64sparky64 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very interesting. Thanks.

"Native"....lol. :D

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

My Washington Quarter Registry set...in progress

• Options
    DCWDCW Posts: 6,977 ✭✭✭✭✭

Awesome tokens, Bill.
    Millard Fillmore was one of the more obscure Presidents, and I dont think many young Americans would even recognize the name today. His foreign policy was pretty good, though it is a shame his presidency will forever be marred by supporting the Fugitive Slave Act. But, such were the times, and he did what he could to keep the Union from tearing apart on his watch.

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• Options
    edited September 1, 2018 5:17AM

Preserving the union was one of the central themes of Filmore's 1856 presidential run. There was a time when people made jokes about Filmore, "Millard who?" But he really was a decent, average president. His administration was better than some of those whom some historians try to rehabilitate today, like U.S. Grant.

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,945 ✭✭✭✭✭

My own Great Grandfather and Great-Great Grandmother were recent arrivals (1852) from Ireland at the time of this election. The Potato Famine of 1845-52 had led to mass immigration from Ireland. I'm sure the Know Nothings would have liked to ship both of them back.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options

Here is the Millard Filmore "bio medalet." It has the same obverse as "The Union" piece I posted earlier.

• Options

@291fifth said:
    My own Great Grandfather and Great-Great Grandmother were recent arrivals (1852) from Ireland at the time of this election. The Potato Famine of 1845-52 had led to mass immigration from Ireland. I'm sure the Know Nothings would have liked to ship both of them back.

I'm not sure that the Know Nothings were totally against all people comming here. They would have treated like dirt, of course, but the big concern was about the amount of political power they might get. The Know Nothings supported the notion that an immigrant could become a citizen ... after they had lived here for 21 years.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great historical pieces, representing the period before the Civil War, as strife was building. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice tokens and history lesson, thanks for sharing !!! :)

Timbuk3
  • Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭✭✭

So Sgt. Schultz wasn't the first to say "I know nothing". Thanks for the history lesson and great tokens. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file