Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Breast Cancer Awareness 2018 Coin and Stamp Set (18CL) (Sales closed)

BackroadJunkieBackroadJunkie Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited December 29, 2018 12:21PM in U.S. Coin Forum

Woo-Hoo! Information about the set everyone's been waiting for has been released!

Breast Cancer Awareness 2018 Coin and Stamp Set (18CL)

Yes, ladies and gentlemen (and boys and girls and whoever else is interested), you too can buy this year's crossover set between numismatics and philately (there's a couple of big words).

You'll get a proof clad BCA Commem half (normally $32.95) plus a non-denominated Breast Cancer Research forever stamp (which means you can't use it for overseas postage) for only $39.95! At a 25K product limit, this set could sell out in... months! (If the Mint thinks this is going to be a stocking stuffer, they're aiming about $25 too high...)

Mintage Limit: Varies
Product Limit: 25,000
Household Order Limit: 1

It will be available Oct 1 at noon. And it will probably still be available until it's taken off sale Dec 31 at noon. (The clad proof sales currently hovers around 16.5K. Sales of another 25K is highly optimistic.)

At least it's a colorful set...

Here's one of the high points:

Coins minted for the purpose of furthering breast cancer research

However it doesn't look like this set will donate anything more to cancer research than the premium on the coin.

Personally, if you want to go this route, just buy the clad proof and donate $7 to cancer research. Or donate the full $40, and that way you won't have to watch the value of this set depreciate by 50+%...)

Comments

• Options
    CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'll wait for the prostate awareness set, assuming that the stamps are self adhesive.

• Options
    1Mike11Mike1 Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Coinstartled said:
    I'll wait for the prostate awareness set, assuming that the stamps are self adhesive.

Great, now my sense of humor is in overdrive wondering what shape the coin would be and if it would have one of those mood ring stones imbedded in it. :)

"May the silver waves that bear you heavenward be filled with love’s whisperings"

"A dog breaks your heart only one time and that is when they pass on". Unknown
  • Options

One could get a preview...but digital images are deceiving.

• Options

That's true. I'll wait until I can see one in hand so I can get a feel for whether I want one or not.

"May the silver waves that bear you heavenward be filled with love’s whisperings"

• Options

Maybe PSA will grade the set together.

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,027 ✭✭✭✭✭

Weird. Why didn't they throw something in their - a medal? - that was a value add-on that a COIN collector might actually want?

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,487 ✭✭✭✭✭

These coin and folder sets can be quite interesting. One of them got me interested in World War II participation medals.

Still I agree with the others. There should be some interest in men's health issues as well, but it doesn't get much press.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options

@Coinstartled said:

That would be right up my alley.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I purchased one of the standard issue coins for a friend who is a survivor... she very much appreciated it. No, she is not a coin collector, however, it depicts a critical part of her life journey. Cheers, RickO

• Options

Mum is a 2X survivor. She likes cash. :D

• Options
    GluggoGluggo Posts: 3,566 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 8, 2018 11:01AM

Okay I guess this is the original thread build off of this one!

These are the half dollars. For the half dollar buyers.

• Options

@Coinstartled said:

Maybe PCGS will too?

https://catalog.usmint.gov/interests/breast-cancer-awareness.html?cm_sp=ST3--commem-bca-lp--081718#start=1

RESEARCH SAVES LIVES
    The United States Mint is proud of the Breast Cancer Awareness Commemorative Coin Program and its role in funding research across the entire spectrum of breast cancer, including prevention, diagnosis, treatment, survivorship, and metastasis. Breast cancer knows no age, gender, or race. It is the most common cancer in women worldwide and the second most common cancer overall.
    Approximately one in eight women will be diagnosed with breast cancer in their lifetime.

Every 2 minutes, a woman is diagnosed with breast cancer.

More than 40,000 women and 200 men die from breast cancer each year. It is the second leading cause of cancer deaths in the U.S.

Thanks to increased awareness, early detection, and improved treatments, death rates from breast cancer have decreased by 38 percent since 1989.

In 2017, there were more than 3.5 million breast cancer survivors in the country.

IN HONOR OF THOSE AFFECTED BY THIS DISEASE, PURCHASE A BREAST CANCER AWARENESS COMMEMORATIVE COIN TO SUPPORT RESEARCH TO IMPROVE OUTCOMES AND SAVE LIVES.

• Options
    GoldminersGoldminers Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 8, 2018 11:56AM

I am pretty sure this S mint half dollar is exactly the same as the one in April and it just increased what was going to be a low mintage coin. Maybe they minted too many and came up with this idea to move them out?

The latest mint report showed sales of the proof BC awareness half dollar at 16,523, with a maximum mintage of 750,000!!

I will go to the post office site and buy a sheet of stamps to support this. Interesting that they are 65 cent special stamps. No reason for me to waste money on the coin again or the colorful paperwork. Below info from the USPS site.

Evocative of Diana, Roman goddess of the hunt, the Breast Cancer Research semi-postal stamp (BCRS) depicts a strong, survival-minded woman as she stands with her right arm raised, reaching behind her head in the position recommended for breast self-examination. Since the BCRS was first issued in 1998, more than $86 million has been raised to fund breast cancer research. The net proceeds from sales of the BCRS are transferred to the National Institutes of Health and the Medical Research Program of the Department of Defense to fund breast cancer research.

Edited to add the link. It is not a Forever stamp, so I believe it is OK for international postage based on this link:

https://store.usps.com/store/product/buy-stamps/2014-breast-cancer-research-60cent-S_555304

• Options
    edited September 8, 2018 12:19PM

@Goldminers said:
    I am pretty sure this S mint half dollar is exactly the same as the one in April and it just increased what was going to be a low mintage coin. Maybe they minted too many and came up with this idea to move them out?

>

https://store.usps.com/store/product/buy-stamps/2014-breast-cancer-research-60cent-S_555304

Your right I only bought the dollars and a pink gold. 6 coins all 69's after grading. That hurt! Thanks for pointing that out!

I guess these are the combination special which would make them special from the other coins I imagine a different label by PCGS.

Something like this " Breast Cancer Awareness 2018 Coin and Stamp Set Label " :D But no stamp in the case or maybe they will. You just dont know till you send it in. Not expecting a 70 though not with my past.

• Options
    edited September 8, 2018 1:20PM

Yes, they will put on a different label. I collect coins, not labels.

• Options
    edited October 1, 2018 9:10AM

@Goldminers said:

I don't know the answer to this, but pardon my ignorance. Would the PCGS label have a different registry number? If so, it would force some people to buy the dang thing to complete their set of modern commems.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: whoever dreamed up the registry sets is an effing genius!!!!

• Options
    CoinCrazyPACoinCrazyPA Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭✭

Meh

Positive BST transactions: agentjim007, cohodk, CharlieC, Chrischampeon, DRG, 3 x delistamps, djdilliodon, gmherps13, jmski52, Meltdown, Mesquite, 2 x nibanny, themaster, 2 x segoja, Timbuk3, ve3rules, jom, Blackhawk, hchcoin, Relaxn, pitboss, blu62vette, Jfoot13, Jinx86, jfoot13,Ronb

Successful Trades: Swampboy,
  • Options
    edited September 8, 2018 2:26PM

@Goldminers said:
    I collect coins, not labels.

I Gotcha! :D Fishing for that comment! :D

• Options
    ECHOESECHOES Posts: 2,974 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm in.

~HABE FIDUCIAM IN DOMINO III V VI / III XVI~
    POST NUBILA PHOEBUS / AFTER CLOUDS, SUN
    Love for Music / Collector of Dreck
  • Options

@jmlanzaf said:

@Goldminers said:

I don't know the answer to this, but pardon my ignorance. Would the PCGS label have a different registry number? If so, it would force some people to buy the dang thing to complete there set of modern commems.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: whoever dreamed up the registry sets is an effing genius!!!!

The different labels do have different PCGS numbers in CoinFacts and separate population reports, but they do not matter in the normal registry sets, because thankfully the sets are also based on coins, not labels.

The exception is the First Strike label, which they do have different registry sets with both regular and First Strike coins.

I will try to get FS if there is minimal price difference up front, but I do not care about the registry sets that require both regular and FS coins. I might even get a different label if there is minimal price difference and I like the look of it or if it is relatively scarce..

One exception, I would like a complete registry FS set of the mostly hated gold first spouse coins. I have been looking for just 3 coins for several years, and they are seriously hard to find at a price that I feel is acceptable.

• Options
    RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wonderful idea. But price should be closer to $10. for the set.

• Options

Today is the day, on sale at noon.
    I'm in for one... :#

Anyone else?

• Options

I am ready logged in and Pay Pal ready! :)

Any offers to buy me out? B)

• Options

IN and OUT...
    USM060698XX

• Options
    edited October 1, 2018 9:23AM

OMG! OMG! OMG! I totally forgot to busy working!!!!! :#:#:#

But I seen my email the Mint reminded me it was still available and I got lucky and got my only one!

Order Placed: Oct 1, 2018
    Order Number: USM06070###

I wonder how many of you are going to go over your house hold limits and do your tricky cc set up on fooling the Mint or should I say to loop hole the Mint has with the HHLM of one. Actually this would be good low cost experiment to make sure the Mint has not caught on to what you guys have been doing. Also I have NOT shared this information with anybody! What happens here on this board STAYS ON THIS BOARD! :)

Me I only need one its a first day of issue with a Stamp. If PCGS wont holder my stamp I am going to send it to NGC and if they wont holster it on to the next ANAC. I bet IGC will! :)

Accepting offer's but don't lowball me!

• Options

@Gluggo said:

But I seen my email the Mint reminded me it was still available and I got lucky and got my only one!

I wonder how many of you are going to go over your house hold limits and do your tricky cc set up on fooling the Mint or should I say to loop hole the Mint has with the HHLM of one. Me I only need one its a first day of issue with a Stamp. If PCGS wont holder my stamp I am going to send it to NGC and if they wont holster it on to the next ANAC. I bet IGC will! :)

When they lift the HHL tomorrow, you can buy the other 24,000 amd then you will control the market

• Options

@jmlanzaf said:

@Gluggo said:

I wonder how many of you are going to go over your house hold limits and do your tricky cc set up on fooling the Mint or should I say to loop hole the Mint has with the HHLM of one. Me I only need one its a first day of issue with a Stamp. If PCGS wont holder my stamp I am going to send it to NGC and if they wont holster it on to the next ANAC. I bet IGC will! :)

When they lift the HHL tomorrow, you can buy the other 24,000 amd then you will control the market

I think you meant 24,998! :D

• Options
    levinlllevinll Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know how many were sold yesterday ?

• Options
    edited October 2, 2018 8:07AM

Did they sell out? Did they remove the HHDL's? :p;)

Just checked HHLM still on. Maybe it will be lifted soon.

• Options
    levinlllevinll Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭

I just received an email that my order shipped.

• Options

@levinll said:

• Options
    BackroadJunkieBackroadJunkie Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭✭✭

@levinll said:

Coin World is reporting 1,760 sets. Zoom!

First-day market muted for Breast Cancer Awareness Coin and Stamp set sales

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file