Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Interesting “1856” eagle 1-cent

burfle23burfle23 Posts: 2,197 ✭✭✭✭✭

This coin was recently posted on a Dealer’s Face Book page as a contemporary counterfeit. After careful review it was determined to be an altered date 1858- what makes it interesting in my opinion is it reportedly came from a 1994 Stacks Public Auction and was shown in the original sealed flip.

Image of my example compared to a known genuine one (courtesy PCGS):

Several responded to the post that this example shouldn’t have made it into the auction and surely would have been outed by Stacks (which may ultimately have happened) and that it was probably not the original holder.

So, in the interest of odd things and research I purchased it and waited to receive it; in the meantime I sent a note to my friends at Stacks to see if there was any archive info they could share, and Mary there really helped me out with several scans!

The scanned image is obviously low resolution, but the image does appear to match the images of my example including the obverse rim toning. I have actually found a copy of the catalog for sale on line and am waiting to receive it to see if the actual image is better there.

After receipt of the coin it does appear to be the original sealed holder; I intend to bring it to the Baltimore Whitman show in October and get Stacks’ opinion on it.

From the scanned images provided it seems something happened with this example, as the prices realized list shows this one “withdrawn”.

Best, Jack.

Comments

• Options
    cmerlo1cmerlo1 Posts: 7,891 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wrong style lettering for 1856...interesting that it got that far.

You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,612 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yeah, looks like they screwed the pooch on that one. Probably spotted during lot viewing and withdrawn.

Perhaps they returned it to the consigner in the original flip to show him that it was the same coin he consigned.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very interesting....nice catch there....some obvious differences in lettering. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,515 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 30, 2018 12:36PM

For this type of fake the "5" in the date is a quick give away. If you draw an imaginary line down from the tip of the hat on the "5", it runs through the bottom of the number on the fake. If it runs parallel, it's one sign that the piece might be good.

Here are a couple of close-ups

Fake

Genuine

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,583 ✭✭✭✭✭

wow, that 6 in 1856 is wayyy off. pass

• Options
    burfle23burfle23 Posts: 2,197 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was able to get a better resolution image scanned from the actual auction catalog and confirmed my example matches the original one.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file