Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Proof coins?

Are either one or both of these proofs? Im having a hard time being able to tell. The 46 is beautiful, haz a almost like between satin and mirror finish but is a lesser or weaker strike, or its wear. But the 54 has a mirror finish, strong strike, and minor toning. I have never seen a toned proof, hence my confusion on that one but for both of them, it’s more that I have not seen an old wheat proof before either. Any thots?

Comments

• Options

Ok, I just looked in my redbook, wich I should have done begore posting this

• Options
    sparky64sparky64 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭✭✭

No such thing as a 1946 Proof Lincoln, so no on that one.
    I have my doubts about the '54 but hard to tell from pics.

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

My Washington Quarter Registry set...in progress

• Options

It does have a mirror finish, however scratched some. But still noticeablly mirrored. Im trying to figure out a way to take a better pic now. The 46, i guess is in au condition. At a glance tho, it looks mint. My magnifier says otherwise.

• Options

The 54 has gotta be proof. It has a very string strike as well as the mirror finish.

• Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

No, see post above. Then do an internet search for the characteristics of proofs. I'm off to bed. PM me if you cannot find the info. Hopefully, someone will post an image for you here.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Nero....Welcome aboard. They are not proof cents... they have been polished by some method. Check the diagnostics for proofs....Cheers, RickO

• Options
    FredWeinbergFredWeinberg Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Both polished.

Retired Collector & Dealer in Major Mint Error Coins & Currency since the 1960's.Co-Author of Whitman's "100 Greatest U.S. Mint Error Coins", and the Error Coin Encyclopedia, Vols., III & IV. Retired Authenticator for Major Mint Errors
    for PCGS. A 49+-Year PNG Member...A full numismatist since 1972, retired in 2022
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,521 ✭✭✭✭✭

they look polished to me as well.

• Options
    RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 30, 2018 8:21AM

@sparky64 said:

Maybe member BUFFNIXX has an imaginary '46 proof cent to got with his 1917 ? :)

The OPs coins have been polished - neither is or ever was a proof.

• Options
    BUFFNIXXBUFFNIXX Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭✭✭

@RogerB said:

@sparky64 said:

Maybe member BUFFNIXX has an imaginary '46 proof cent to got with his 1917 ? :)

The OPs coins have been polished - neither is or ever was a proof.

Will settle this one later
    BUFFNIXX

Collector of Buffalo Nickels and other 20th century United States Coinage
    a.k.a "The BUFFINATOR"
  • Options
    BUFFNIXXBUFFNIXX Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭✭✭

Heres to u Roggger Birdquette!!

Collector of Buffalo Nickels and other 20th century United States Coinage
    a.k.a "The BUFFINATOR"
  • Options
    jonathanbjonathanb Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭✭✭

Neither of those have a mirror finish. Those are harshly polished and artificially shiny. A mirror finish is literally a mirror. If you can't read a newspaper in the reflection, then it's not a mirror proof coin.

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

I only have a couple of pictures of Proof cents. These pictures are not great, but here is a 1942 Proof cent.

And here is a 1963 Proof cent. Perhaps you can see the difference between your two coins.

Not the best detail, but here is a 1950 Proof set

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,817 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome to the forum Nero.
    From your pics it’s so hard to tell for sure.
    Possibly, if a coin shop is near you, you could purchase some really cheap proof Lincoln’s and compare to the ones you own. Another member mentioned the 46 could not be a proof cause none were made, true. Another thing that would be helpful is to purchase an ANA grading guide. I look at it as the Bible.
    Carry on my coin brother.

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file