Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

My old Thomas Elder collection has been sold. Again.

CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,565 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yesterday somebody asked me about a unique Thomas Elder die that they had just acquired which I had listed in my catalogue. They were wondering if perhaps it was a second one.

Well, I asked around, and it turns out that my collection, which I sold almost intact to Leon Hendrickson back in 1984, was put up for sale by his estate a few months ago. I wish all of the new owners the joy that I had assembling it.

If anybody has acquired any of these Elder pieces (especially the dies!) please make a mention of it here. I would like to visit with my old friends. Pictures would be welcome.

Tom DeLorey

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.

Comments

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

How interesting to hear of your collection 34 years later.... Cheers, RickO

• Options

Oddly enough, I was 34 when I sold it!

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options

Much of my collection can be seen in my catalogue in the June and July, 1980, issues of The Numismatist. If you are an ANA member you can view the back issues online.

• Options
    WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm still searching for 373 and 377 ( @CaptHenway 75 ;) ) in gem R or RB.
    I think you said a long time ago that they are a harder nut to crack than the gold or silver. Sure seems like that's the truth.
    So far one 66 377, zero 373s from both our hosts or ATS.

We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options
    DCWDCW Posts: 6,978 ✭✭✭✭✭

Did you ever think of buying it back? I mean, would you if you had known it was available and at a price you could afford?

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• Options

Yeah, but would not have done it. As the baseball legend Satchel Paige used to say:

"Never look back. Somebody might be gaining on you!"

• Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,976 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just imagine how much they must have appreciated since 1984!!!

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options
    ParadisefoundParadisefound Posts: 8,588 ✭✭✭✭✭

Oh ... it was almost like a love story <3

• Options
    CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 31, 2018 1:11AM

@CaptHenway said:
    Oddly enough, I was 34 when I sold it!

Elder the younger?

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,915 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 31, 2018 1:44AM

Great to hear your collection is still around. What die was it? How many dies were in the collection?

Here are some tributes to Leon. Definitely a giant in our hobby. Great to know he owned the Dexter 1804 Dollar as well.

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,487 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 31, 2018 6:21AM

I have long had an interest in token and coin dies, expecially when they have not been conceled., but oddly enough most collectors don't seem to care about them. Of course they are almost always far rarer than the coin or token they produced. Almost all of the 19th century token dies are unique.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    carabonnaircarabonnair Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't think these are from your collection, but at least the St. Patrick has your name on the slab.

• Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow, interesting story, thank you !!! :)

Timbuk3
  • Options
    DCWDCW Posts: 6,978 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CaptHenway said:
    Yeah, but would not have done it. As the baseball legend Satchel Paige used to say:

"Never look back. Somebody might be gaining on you!"

I hear you, but it would have been great getting the band back together

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file