AU

• Options
    RollermanRollerman Posts: 1,840 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm thinking high AU for this one.

"Ain't None of Them play like him (Bix Beiderbecke) Yet."
    Louis Armstrong
  • Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,152 ✭✭✭✭✭

Agree with 58 slider....may also have some PVC haze on it, and some hairlines from a wiping.
    But I'm not a Morgan expert. And it wouldn't shock me to see it in a 62 holder.

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,948 ✭✭✭✭✭

Probably an AU. Unimpressive eye-appeal.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,695 ✭✭✭✭✭

AU and I agree, it looks cleaned.

• Options
    morgandollar1878morgandollar1878 Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭✭✭

AU58. Possibly a cleaned obv.

Instagram: nomad_numismatics
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,487 ✭✭✭✭✭

AU with a dullish look that is consistent with light general wear.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,217 ✭✭✭✭✭

AUnc

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,260 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not an O mint so AU. Seeing wear around the ear.

• Options
    PocketArtPocketArt Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 27, 2018 1:25PM

Au details- scratched. I don't like scratch on the reverse above one, and over wreath to wing. Even if die gauge between wreath and wing- scratch would be of concern for other. JMO.

• Options
    RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭

Scrub-a-dub-dub..... :)

• Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd pass and keep looking. AU-Details at most.

• Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,125 ✭✭✭✭✭

@LindeDad said:
    I'd pass and keep looking. AU-Details at most.

It was a birthday gift from a friend and I very surprised to get it.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    dcarrdcarr Posts: 8,017 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't think it has been adversely cleaned and it would likely grade problem-free AU-55 or maybe 58 at any major grading service.

• Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

AU !!! :)

Timbuk3
  • Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,677 ✭✭✭✭✭

A gift from a friend kinda makes it special. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

AU58.....IMO.... and a nice gift.....Is your friend a coin collector? Cheers, RickO

• Options
    gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭

Regardless, what a nice gift.

• Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,886 ✭✭✭✭✭

@grip said:
    Regardless, what a nice gift.

Couldn't agree more

• Options
    ParadisefoundParadisefound Posts: 8,588 ✭✭✭✭✭

A nice gift for a raw example :) I agree with the majority ..... AU

• Options
    lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 7,834 ✭✭✭✭✭

I can't tell from the image, but I agree with Walkerguy... AU details, but it looks like something going on with the haze I'm seeing on the bun.

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • Options
    coinhackcoinhack Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭✭

@lkenefic said:
    I can't tell from the image, but I agree with Walkerguy... AU details, but it looks like something going on with the haze I'm seeing on the bun.

O.K. I don't mean to sound snarky but I don't see it. I see her cap and cotton balls, leaves and wheat stalks and her flowing curly hair but I don't see any bun. I thought she was sitting on her buns. ;)

• Options
    CommemKingCommemKing Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭✭✭

AU Details

• Options

@coinhack said:

@lkenefic said:

O.K. I don't mean to sound snarky but I don't see it. I see her cap and cotton balls, leaves and wheat stalks and her flowing curly hair but I don't see any bun. I thought she was sitting on her buns. ;)

Not snark at all... I'm seeing some haze? On the back of her cap near UNUM... maybe it's just me and the cappy resolution on my phone...

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • Options

@ricko said:
    AU58.....IMO.... and a nice gift.....Is your friend a coin collector? Cheers, RickO

No. Don't know where she got the coin

DPOTD-3

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,152 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 28, 2018 12:38PM

I'm seeing some haze? On the back of her cap near UNUM... maybe it's just me and the cappy resolution on my phone...
    On the cap, above the cap, and below the cap (this area also looks like a finger print?), possibly above the ear....anyway, it reminds of the type of spots I've seen on coins that have been stored in PVC holders....not to the point of turning into green goo yet. May want to treat with acetone though, just in case. But then you may run the risk of hairlines becoming more visible.

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options

Exactly. I'd try the acetone treatment, but caveat emptor!! It could reveal other issues not apparent. Best of luck!

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

@asheland said:
    AU and I agree, it looks cleaned.

+1

• Options
    PTVETTERPTVETTER Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭✭✭

If that was an O mint I would say unc, but from a Philly mint my guess is AU 58
    Not the best photos to grade from!

Pat Vetter,Mercury Dime registry set,1938 Proof set registry,Pat & BJ Coins:724-325-7211

• Options

Thanks, I'll soak it in acetone.

DPOTD-3

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

Pics make it look cleaned, AU.

• Options

Graded MS62

DPOTD-3

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    MrSliderMrSlider Posts: 142 ✭✭✭

Im with the crowd, I think its a Slider. AU58, could be a details hard to tell.

https://tinyurl.com/wbuh7ba (Search PCGS on ebay)

• Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,741 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ajaan said:
    Graded MS62

I realize it graded MS62, but honestly from those first images my thought was also a choice AU.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    alohagaryalohagary Posts: 2,764 ✭✭✭✭

Au

• Options
    RayboRaybo Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭✭✭

If it's in a 62 holder than it's a 62. :#

• Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

To somebody, not respected with my money. Take it away at a 62.....LOL, ridiculous.

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options
    CCGGGCCGGG Posts: 1,267 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ajaan said:
    Graded MS62

Looks like a 55 to 58 to me and cleaned. I must ask, what grading service gave it a 62?

• Options

Wow... thus, the difference between having the coin "in hand" and trying to grade from pictures on one's phone...

• Options
    Aspie_RoccoAspie_Rocco Posts: 3,259 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 10, 2018 9:40AM

I respond as an exercise in grading. Not to pick apart your coin. It is nice and a great gift.
    If not a details grade, I would guess AU 50-53.
    I am not sharp with grading yet, but I see a lot of rub and “chatter” if the phrase is correctly applied.
    The stars, eye brow, cheek and hair under crown all seem to have wear, be It cabinet friction or lightly circulated. I also see a light rim dent on K8 obverse and K10 reverse.
    Unless the photo deceives me...
    There does appear to be some luster and light tone

Edited for autocorrect changing words

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file