Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Weight (in grams) of VF(20) 1800 to 1857 half cent?

Long-shot, but does anyone here own an 1800 to 1857 half cent in approximately VF-20 grade (as problem-free as possible) which they could weigh for me? Mint weight of these coins is 5.44 grams. Even providing weights of VG, F, VF+ and EF examples would help to provide a range of weight against wear.

I ask because I am trying to assess the potential authenticity of a scarce date/variety. Currently all other factors (weight, ring, die marriage elements, etc.) check-out as real, but the difference between an authentic coin and an excellent counterfeit is significant, and I would not put it past someone to counterfeit this date/variety. Ultimately I will send this piece in to be authenticated, but in the meantime I would like to gain as much confidence as to authenticity as possible.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Options
    Bigbuck1975Bigbuck1975 Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭✭✭

Post an image

• Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 26, 2018 1:11PM

What is the date? I mostly have notes on circulated 18th century 1/2 cents.

• Options
    KoinickerKoinicker Posts: 289 ✭✭✭

It's an 1831. Very few have been authenticated in such a low grade. Further, to counterfeit one of these with any chance of passing as real would be to counterfeit a high-grade version and artificially wear it down. The coin has the normal feel of an authentic coin with smooth surfaces and hand-grease wear for copper, and not the rougher, dry, lifeless artificial wear I've seen and felt on more recent transfer die counterfeits.

No photo for now. Not trying to create suspense, just want to evaluate these other factors first. Thanks for the comments so far.

• Options

Its edge is very important.

• Options
    edited August 26, 2018 1:30PM

Agreed - and so far there are no obvious red flags.

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,597 ✭✭✭✭✭

A VF-20 coin is only going to be around 3 or 4% lighter than the day it was made, but then you have to allow for the original production weight tolerance which could bring it down another few percent.

Any chance it is an alteration from another date? Because those dies were lettered by hand each reverse die is unique. See if it matches an 1831 die exactly.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options

Thanks CaptHenway - that was the answer I was hoping to hear. The 1831 I am examining is approximately 3.7% light in weight from mint tolerance - it weights 5.24g. All date and star positions on the obverse and all letters on the reverse match the dentil positions.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good luck with your coin....Let us know when you have the final results...Cheers, RickO

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,597 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sounds good, but still needs to be authenticated by one of the TPG's.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,513 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Koinicker said:
    Thanks CaptHenway - that was the answer I was hoping to hear. The 1831 I am examining is approximately 3.7% light in weight from mint tolerance - it weights 5.24g. All date and star positions on the obverse and all letters on the reverse match the dentil positions.

The trouble is “all date and star positions” and the reverse will match if the piece is a copy of genuine coin. Having a top rated grading service review it is very important. If it works out, that will be great.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    LoveMyLibertyLoveMyLiberty Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭

Koinicker, could you please provide a few answers
    about your coin since there are no images?

Does the rev. have a center dot?

What is the position of the upper leaf under
    S2 ( the last S in STATES ) . Does the leaf extend
    to the right edge of the S ?

What is the position of the outer leaf to A1 in
    STATES ? Is it short of the right edge of A , at
    the right edge, or passed the right edge of A ?

My Type Set

R.I.P. Bear image
  • Options

This will be sent to a TPG during my next show at Baltimore in October.

Reverse is a match - shows center dot; letter repunching in F in HALF and C_N_ in CENT (although this detail isn't bold because of wear); leaf does extend to right side of S2 in STATES; leaf extends to approximately the right edge of A1 in STATES.

Obverse has the large stars of 1831, which are closer together, than the smaller and more widely spaced stars of 1832 and 1835.

I will see about photos if I get permission from the individual who's collection this came from which I'm evaluating. The overall collection wasn't too large - 150-200 pieces, and maybe only 25% is pre-1850 type which was mostly silver.

• Options
    edited August 29, 2018 8:21AM

Actual weights from a dozen GENUINE examples from 1800 to 1853 grading VF :

Average weight: 5.38 grams

High: 5.5 grams (5.44 is specification)
    Low: 5.18 grams

Not included in average: two grading G-4 5.09 & 5.06 PLUS one AU+ 5.39

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights