Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Poor mans 7070 set ( Completed May 2022)

WALLEWALLE Posts: 234 ✭✭✭✭
edited May 6, 2022 12:34PM in U.S. Coin Forum

I'm somewhat new here, and after looking and seeing the outstanding type sets, slabbed coins etc. posted here I'm overwhelmed. I thought I would post a type set I started last November, some coins I had in my safe from over the years of collecting others ( 1851 Braided Hair, 1858 Flying Eagle ) were from my father who passed away 1 month before I was born ( 65 years ago ) they could be upgraded a bit but I'm not going to. So here's a set I have enjoyed starting, and look forward to adding to over the years to come.

Comments

• Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome @WALLE
    That is a fantastic collection of US Coins, Congrats :smile:

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• Options
    TiborTibor Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome! Very nice 7070 you have there.
    Enjoy the ride.

• Options

Thanks

• Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great looking set! Meaningful inherited heirloom coins add a lot of sentiment and interest to such a collection. This is my favorite coin album, highly recommended to every US collector. Take your time on the more advanced purchases, you have a good eye and the coins "flow" well. Ive found that the early coins look ok in lower grades if the transition to high grade moderns isnt too abrupt. Thanks for sharing!

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    GluggoGluggo Posts: 3,566 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice coins welcome to the board.

• Options
    divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,528 ✭✭✭✭✭

@WALLE That is a terrific start to a 7070 Album. :+1::+1:

It's great that you have some pieces from your dad in the set as that makes it more meaningful to you.

Good luck with filling more holes.

Donato

Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • Options

Thanks to all of you, it's nice to get others opinion on what your doing. Like I had said before, seeing the types of coins posted here. one is not sure if your coins are worth it. Thanks again. kinda makes ones day.

• Options
    ElKevvoElKevvo Posts: 4,064 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is a nice set...I especially like what you did with the extra page. Looks good!! My 7070 is something I have been working on for a long time...adding maybe a coin a year. It is getting there slowly but surely!

K

ANA LM
  • Options
    RWMRWM Posts: 205 ✭✭✭

Great set. Working on a type set myself and have found it very rewarding.

• Options
    PurfrockPurfrock Posts: 545 ✭✭✭

Welcome to the forum. Thank you for sharing your type set!

EAC, ANA Member
  • Options
    ECHOESECHOES Posts: 2,974 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice! :#

~HABE FIDUCIAM IN DOMINO III V VI / III XVI~
    POST NUBILA PHOEBUS / AFTER CLOUDS, SUN
    Love for Music / Collector of Dreck
  • Options
    OnastoneOnastone Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow, some really beautiful coins there!!!!

• Options
    SiriusBlackSiriusBlack Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks great! I love that you added another page for extra coins. I’ve been thinking of doing that myself! How did you make the little inserts?

Collector of randomness. Photographer at PCGS. Lover of Harry Potter.

• Options
    DRUNNERDRUNNER Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭✭✭

Bravo!

Superb set . . .and something I have done several times. I applaud your work . . .keep it up !!!

Drunner

• Options
    rln_14rln_14 Posts: 686 ✭✭✭✭

Love the set and the extra coins at the end as well, thanks for posting

• Options
    coinhackcoinhack Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭✭

Nice set @WALLE . The 7070 set is my favorite set of coins. I also have a couple of coins from my father. It makes it that much more special. I like that last page, also. Had to do a double take to see what you had done there.

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,674 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nicely done to segue into the blank pages, shows you care. I like that. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    Peace_dollar88Peace_dollar88 Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great set! Welcome aboard!

• Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

@WALLE said:
    Thanks to all of you, it's nice to get others opinion on what your doing. Like I had said before, seeing the types of coins posted here. one is not sure if your coins are worth it.

I can empathize with that last part. But I got beyond that feeling. The wealth of knowledge here has helped make sure that my purchases are more meaningful. And it is nice to get feedback and opinions.
    Thank you for sharing your 7070 and I look forward to your progress. I love to see coins in albums, much more than in holders.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@WALLE....Welcome aboard....very nice set, thanks for showing us...Cheers, RickO

• Options

@SiriusBlack said:
    Looks great! I love that you added another page for extra coins. I’ve been thinking of doing that myself! How did you make the little inserts?

I started with a blank small dollar page, for the penny's I had a old Whitman folder that I cut out to fit the dollar opening. For the nickel's, I cut down black zip ties. for the quarters just some thin cardboard and a black marker. I hope this is of some help.

• Options
    kahokiakahokia Posts: 140 ✭✭

I'm inspired by your attitude! I'm going to pull mu dusty old (and empty) 7070 off the shelf and do what I can with it. Thanks for showing.

We are digging the pit of Babel.
    --Franz Kafka
  • Options
    WAYNEASWAYNEAS Posts: 6,353 ✭✭✭✭✭

@WALLE said:
    Well completed my 7070 set, sorry not the best pictures. No gold page alittle out of my price range at this time. I did enjoy doing this album. I did upgrade the (2) coins left to me by my father as I stated at the begining of this thread on the last page
    but left his on the first page for anyone that was wondering.

A very nice set.
    Thanks for sharing.
    Wayne

Kennedys are my quest...

• Options
    lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 7,829 ✭✭✭✭✭

Awesome! It's quite the journey, regardless of grade! Congrats on completing it!!

I'm on my third try this go 'round with about a dozen coins to go...

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • Options
    youniqueyounique Posts: 882 ✭✭✭

Bragging rights granted! Congrats and thanks for sharing.

• Options
    hfjacintohfjacinto Posts: 766 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congrats and great set!

I'm down to 3 coins, but waiting for the coin market to cool down a little.

• Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,122 ✭✭✭✭✭

You changed out your modern Commemorative!
    Neat choice.

peacockcoins

• Options
    OAKSTAROAKSTAR Posts: 5,829 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nothing wrong with that set! 👍🏻 👍🏻

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• Options

Where did you get the idea for this custom last page?

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• Options

@OAKSTAR said:

I had seen a guys album on youtube that did something like this, it's a small dollar blank page from Dansco. I did change this page if you look at the last post I did, I added the 2021Crossing the Delaware quarter,2022 American Womens quarter and the Innovaction dollar.

• Options

@WALLE said:

@OAKSTAR said:

I had seen a guys album on youtube that did something like this, it's a small dollar blank page from Dansco. I did change this page if you look at the last post I did, I added the 2021Crossing the Delaware quarter,2022 American Womens quarter and the Innovaction dollar.

You mean this guy?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PwcdnhZ14ow

• Options

@OAKSTAR said:

@WALLE said:

@OAKSTAR said:

You mean this guy?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PwcdnhZ14ow

Yes, that's the one

• Options
    DDRDDR Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nicely done.

• Options
    USMC_6115USMC_6115 Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭✭✭

VERY NICE!

• Options
    P0CKETCHANGEP0CKETCHANGE Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is a great accomplishment, and one with a lot of meaning given the backstory you shared. Congratulations.

Nothing is as expensive as free money.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file