Home Precious Metals
Options

FRIDAY MeTaL PØRÑ : BOUGHT THE DIP EDITION

2»

Comments

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,705 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ricko not sure about the stones, likely glass.
    However, the metal...

Woo hoo! Score! >:)

• Options

You can tell looking at the shine:

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was pretty sure the chain was gold....but seems odd to put fake stones in a gold chain. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    Jinx86Jinx86 Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ricko said:
    I was pretty sure the chain was gold....but seems odd to put fake stones in a gold chain. Cheers, RickO

Could be red spinel. It's suprising how much of the jewelry we see has faux stones now a days.

• Options

I will admit, I only owned the chain about 3 hours. My friend liked it and bought it based on the acid test we did.
    I left meat on the bone and he's investigating the stones. Who knows, they may well indeed be something and I hope he does well with it. I certainly did. >:)

Sorry about hijacking your thread Weiss. I thank you for this thread as the clasp is what caught my attention when I saw this chain. I remembered your custom chain in this thread and when I felt this piece in my hand, the heft pretty much confirmed my thoughts. :smiley:

• Options
    davidkdavidk Posts: 275 ✭✭✭
    edited September 11, 2018 9:44AM

@Weiss Did you specify 5 ozt for the chain, or a gram weight?

If you specified 5 ozt I'm really curious as to how they managed to get your length exactly right and have the weight come out so close.

• Options

Beautiful chain

• Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

@OPA said:
    Mr. T would be envious of that chain. ;)

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• Options

@davidk said:

If you specified 5 ozt I'm really curious as to how they managed to get your length exactly right and have the weight come out so close.

Great question :smile:

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

• Options
    WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭

@1630Boston said:

@davidk said:

Great question :smile:

It's a great question. To answer it I think I need to back up to how I came up with what I wanted, and how he was able to accommodate.

It was a process. It started with me kicking around the idea in my head, and trying to decide how heavy this piece should be. I was initially inclined to go with 3 ounces since my previous necklace was 2 ounces. Then I started getting greedy and was thinking about 8 ounces--a quarter of a kilo of pure gold! :o>:)

In the end, I decided to hold off on the 8 ounces and settle for something in between: 5 troy ounces.

Then I had to decide which style of chain. I poured over their previous custom-made pieces. I love the traditional box style baht, but I already have one of those. I asked some of my online friends for input, and ultimately decided on this "anchor" style chain. It's beefy, masculine, and reminds me of pirate treasure.

From there I had to decide on length. My old baht is 28", and I like that length on me. So that part was pretty easy.

I also vacillated over having a clasp or just a continuous chain without a clasp. The length was certainly long enough to just slip over my head--that's what I do with my old baht. But since I didn't go with a traditional baht design (the anchor is more western), I felt the traditional "W" clasp would help identify the piece as handmade, high-karat gold.

I wrote all of these things down and called the goldsmith. We spoke at length about each item on my list. Nothing phased him. He's literally done this a thousand times in the past and it was clear he knew exactly where I was coming from and what I was after. He quoted me a price, I beat him up a bit ( ;) ), then said I needed to turn things over in my head and call him back in the morning.

I ran through my list again and came up with a few clarifications / modifications. First, I wanted to be absolutely, absolutely certain the finished product would clock in at 5 ounces troy at the minimum. I didn't ever want to put it on a scale and have it come up 4.962 troy ounces. This is a natural extension of who most of us are here on this forum and also how I consider things that I buy for my own stack and for the pieces I sell here. I don't want anything ever to clock in under the specified weight. That's just a non-starter and a total turn-off for me.

Second, though I wanted the traditional clasp, I had concerns about its strength on a piece of this weight. It's more than double my old baht necklace. I wanted to be certain it would withstand daily wear with no chance of coming open. So I made a note to ask that he make the clasp especially thick.

Finally, I wanted the finished look to be a little rough. Not polished to a prooflike finish. I wanted it just a little coarse. Not too much, though. So I was really threading a needle on this one.

I called the goldsmith back and went over each of these points. He totally got the 5 ounce thing. I even offered to include an extra $50 to cover another gram +/- of gold so that there was no question. He agreed, no problem.

The second I mentioned my concern about the clasp, the next words out of his mouth were "So you want it beefy?". Exactly. He got it. 100%.

I don't think he was anticipating the roughness I was after (I texted that one to him). But he responded immediately with a "no problem".

So tl;dr: the chain is in fact the exact weight I wanted down to a fraction of a gram. It's the exact length that I wanted--maybe just a CM or two longer which is great--without that, its girth would make it lay on my chest just a tiny bit higher.
    How did he do it? In part, because he was able to adjust the clasp. Since it's a single piece, he can make that thicker or thinner, thereby adjusting the weight +/- a gram or more. See in the image below the difference not only in the "W" clasp piece itself, but also the "gripping fists" that hold the clasp. When the chain itself is supposed to be homogeneous and consistent, he's got some play in the construction and heft of these end pieces.

But ultimately, he was able to give me precisely what I was looking for because he's that good, and because I communicated the tiniest detail and made sure we were on the same page. What amazes me is that he was able to take all of this info and craft this piece by hand and get it back to me within a week.

We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options

He is quite the craftsman :smile:

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,447 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very cool chain. B)

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options

I don't recall if you mentioned, but where is this goldsmith? Overseas?

• Options

Nope, they're here in the US.

We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options

@Weiss Do you think it’s better to open the clasp by bending away from the middle of the M clasp or to twist a little bit sideways. Sideways seems better to me as far as grip is concerned, and spreading the bending over a larger area.

• Options

Sideways would seem to apply less stress. but I don't open the clasp. Just slip the whole thing over my head :)

--Severian the Lame
  • Options
    edited September 13, 2018 5:10PM

@Weiss said:
    Sideways would seem to apply less stress. but I don't open the clasp. Just slip the whole thing over my head :)

Wire he made today for my chain, and links taking shape. Thank you for sharing his contact info. He’s a really good guy to work with.

• Options

THAT. IS. AWESOME! :)

--Severian the Lame
  • Options
    edited September 13, 2018 6:21PM

@Weiss It will be a neck chain the same width, clasp, and style as the bracelet he’s wearing in this photo.

All made from Apmex .9999 gold shot, and will be stamped both 9999 and 24K just like yours.

• Options
    shinywhiteshinywhite Posts: 346 ✭✭✭

Sweet!!

• Options

Amazing craftsmanship :smile:

• Options

My chain is coming along nicely.

• Options

I love the density of the Cuban link design. If I get another anytime soon, it'll probably be one like that!

--Severian the Lame
  • Options

@davidk That's awesome!

• Options

@Weiss said:
    I love the density of the Cuban link design. If I get another anytime soon, it'll probably be one like that!

He offers loose and tight versions of the cuban link as well, so you can customize to that level. The loose version has a bit more visible space around the links. I chose the loose look because I thought the look was a little bit more masculine, but I'd be happy with either.

• Options

@asheland said:

If you look at his workbench, there is a Starbucks coffee cup, but that could be anywhere I guess :smile:

• Options

@1630Boston said:

@asheland said:

If you look at his workbench, there is a Starbucks coffee cup, but that could be anywhere I guess :smile:

Happy to share his info, just send a PM.

• Options

@davidk said:

@Weiss said:

He offers loose and tight versions of the cuban link as well, so you can customize to that level. The loose version has a bit more visible space around the links. I chose the loose look because I thought the look was a little bit more masculine, but I'd be happy with either.

Very cool. That massive 20 ounce(?) cuban he did recently was cool--but the links looked like they had a lot of play. Like the tighter look of yours MUCH better!

--Severian the Lame
  • Options
    edited September 14, 2018 2:16PM

@Weiss You probably already know this, but this is advice from the master himself when I asked whether it was better to bend the clasp straight out (away from the clasp), or to slightly twist.

Here’s his response: “Twist it. Keep the shape“

BTW, he just finished it. His wife’s pic, not mine:

• Options

It looks like they'd have to grind down the links to get the flat side. How do they get the weight so exact after that?

• Options
    WildIdeaWildIdea Posts: 1,875 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Pachucko said:
    It looks like they'd have to grind down the links to get the flat side. How do they get the weight so exact after that?

I would think rather a press of some type squeezes the links just right to achieve the shape?

• Options
    edited September 14, 2018 4:35PM

@Pachucko said:

Experience. When he knows the style and length he knows the exact gauge to pull the wire.

It all starts with Apmex .9999 gold shot. He pulls the wire and makes everything by hand. He knows the clasp gram weight before he begins.

• Options
    blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,465 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ricko said:
    That is a very nice chain...The only thing I would add would be a gold anchor (Navy guy)...Cheers, RickO

Or perhaps even an eagle, globe and anchor. Nice chain btw. Semper Fi

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

• Options

@davidk said:

@Pachucko said:

Experience. When he knows the style and length he knows the exact gauge to pull the wire.

It all starts with Apmex .9999 gold shot. He pulls the wire and makes everything by hand. He knows the clasp gram weight before he begins.

Experience indeed. I wonder if they recover the dust somehow.

• Options
    cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,622 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice chain...but those fingernails could slit a throat.

Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• Options

@Pachucko said:

@davidk said:

@Pachucko said:

Experience indeed. I wonder if they recover the dust somehow.

You can be certain that they do.

• Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great chains but I'm not a gold chain wearin kinda guy. After thinkin about it, it would be another golden trinket in my sdb. Now, still on the table is say, 10 feet of 1g. Marked 9999 links, and a dozen clasp linkers, for resale. Someone does that and offers a piece here, i cant resist buying a bracelet. ;)

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options

@Baley said:
    Great chains but I'm not a gold chain wearin kinda guy. After thinkin about it, it would be another golden trinket in my sdb. Now, still on the table is say, 10 feet of 1g. Marked 9999 links, and a dozen clasp linkers, for resale. Someone does that and offers a piece here, i cant resist buying a bracelet. ;)

I’m sure that you can get it made, but the workmanship will be a significant factor in the price.