Home U.S. Coin Forum

What is the source of this modern gold discoloration?

CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited August 22, 2018 3:40PM in U.S. Coin Forum

At the forehead. First thought was puttying but it would not make sense on a modern. Improper rinse perhaps? Slightly tilted the haze vanishes.

Comments

• AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,711 ✭✭✭✭✭

I thought putty as well.

bob :)

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's a color I've not seen before. I'm going to assume it was not on the coin when you sent it in. There appears to be some debris inside the slab. Does the lint by the "J" wipe off the case? If not, return it to be fixed.

• CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Insider2 said:
    That's a color I've not seen before. I'm going to assume it was not on the coin when you sent it in. There appears to be some debris inside the slab. Does the lint by the "J" wipe off the case? If not, return it to be fixed.

Cleaned the old scanner and reimaged the coin. Coin and holder are fine save for the discoloration.

@Coinstartled said:

@Insider2 said:

Cleaned the old scanner and reimaged the coin. Coin and holder are fine save for the discoloration.

Did you post the new image? The thread is still there. Did you buy the coin with the haze on it?

Thread is an artifact...not on coin or holder.

I bought the coin recently in the slab..note it is not a current generation slab.

I have seen something similar when the item touched the inside of the case. Hold the slab flat (obverse up) in a cupped hand an whack it on a flat surface to see if that was the case. Otherwise, you just own an unattractive slab as nothing should hurt the coin.

• Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,874 ✭✭✭✭✭

Is the coin in that case free to move around? Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall, coinsarefun, MichaelDixon, NickPatton, ProfLiz, Twobitcollector,Jesbroken

• BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 22, 2018 5:18PM

Haze on the holder or maybe touched by a clown?

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • derrybderryb Posts: 36,585 ✭✭✭✭✭

possibly discoloration in the plastic.

"How many times can a man turn his head and pretend he just doesn’t see?” - Bob Dylan

• tommy44tommy44 Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm with those above that think it's the slab or the coin position in the slab.

it's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

@Broadstruck said:
    Haze on the holder or maybe touched by a clown?

Well it does look funny.

• jwittenjwitten Posts: 5,085 ✭✭✭✭✭

I vote slab issue as well.

@derryb said:
    possibly discoloration in the plastic.

I am beginning to lean in that direction. Isn't there a way to tap the holder to get the coin to shift a bit.

• derrybderryb Posts: 36,585 ✭✭✭✭✭

deserves a new slab. Maybe PCGS will replace if for free if it is in fact discolored. give them a call.

"How many times can a man turn his head and pretend he just doesn’t see?” - Bob Dylan

• RB1026RB1026 Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭✭

Well, that was one way to find out :) Honestly, I'm at a total loss to offer any ideas without the coin in hand. I'd like to see it under 10X or even 30X to see if it's something "on" the surface that can be removed or (?) Very unusual for sure.

@RB1026 said:
    Well, that was one way to find out :) Honestly, I'm at a total loss to offer any ideas without the coin in hand. I'd like to see it under 10X or even 30X to see if it's something "on" the surface that can be removed or (?) Very unusual for sure.

I am done scanning for the night, but the crackout revealed a smaller and lighter but similar spot on the reverse.

• jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 33,429 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Coinstartled said:
    Well we know it was not the plastic. :#

Egads....it's easier than that to figure out if it's on the plastic. IF the haze is on the plastic it will reflect on the coin.

• RB1026RB1026 Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭✭

@Coinstartled said:

@RB1026 said:

I am done scanning for the night, but the crackout revealed a smaller and lighter but similar spot on the reverse.

Yeah, no worries. It wasn't a request, just me thinking out loud. Very strange indeed. Maybe some sort of chemical exposure?

@jmlanzaf said:

@Coinstartled said:

Egads....it's easier than that to figure out if it's on the plastic. IF the haze is on the plastic it will reflect on the coin.

I have dealt in many coins and wanted a better look. Plastic is better for preservation than observation.

• BruceSBruceS Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 22, 2018 6:19PM

Jeez Glick, you didn't have to hurt the poor slab. It wasn't that bad!!

Now what? You going to mess with the coin?

eBay ID-bruceshort978
    Successful BST:here and ATS, bumanchu, wdrob, hashtag, KeeNoooo, mikej61, Yonico, Meltdown, BAJJERFAN, Excaliber, lordmarcovan, cucamongacoin, robkool, bradyc, tonedcointrader, mumu, Windycity, astrotrain, tizofthe, overdate, rwyarmch, mkman123, Timbuk3,GBurger717, airplanenut, coinkid855 ,illini420, michaeldixon, Weiss, Morpheus, Deepcoin, Collectorcoins, AUandAG, D.Schwager.
  • thefinnthefinn Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

@Coinstartled said:

No it won't - it is the MS issue, not a Proof.

thefinn
  • RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭

Each time a coin is moved from one holder to another, the opportunities for contamination increase. The coin was probably just fine in the original US mint capsule.

Now that it has been cracked out, is the PCGS guarantee void?

@thefinn said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@Coinstartled said:

Yes it will. It doesn't have to be a mirror to reflect. It is reflective enough. Shine light through it at an angle, you will see a shadow image if it is above the surface.

@Coinstartled said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@Coinstartled said:

I have dealt in many coins and wanted a better look. Plastic is better for preservation than observation.

Hey, I'm not plastic lover. That coin in 69 is basically raw anyway, no loss.

@jmlanzaf said:

@thefinn said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@Coinstartled said:

Yes it will. It doesn't have to be a mirror to reflect. It is reflective enough. Shine light through it at an angle, you will see a shadow image if it is above the surface.

Spent a fair amount of time examining the coin in various light. Seemed to be on the coin but was inconclusive. Either way I didn't want to get involved in a return to PCGS and was not going to resell the coin as is, in the holder.

Maybe I can get the half a buck back though for the label. ;)

@Coinstartled said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@thefinn said:

@jmlanzaf said:

Spent a fair amount of time examining the coin in various light. Seemed to be on the coin but was inconclusive. Either way I didn't want to get involved in a return to PCGS and was not going to resell the coin as is, in the holder.

Maybe I can get the half a buck back though for the label. ;)

The film may wash off. Gold is pretty inert so mild solvents shouldn't hurt it.

• GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,460 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 22, 2018 7:18PM

I'll give you melt + $20 for it, :#

GrandAm :)

@GRANDAM said:
    I'll give you melt + $20 for it, :#

As long as the $20 is a Saint, you have a deal.

o:)

• crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,949 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 22, 2018 7:32PM

@Coinstartled said:

Got my good hard laugh of the day. Yes I think we can rule out the slab at this point.
    Kinda looks to be all toned except his forehead. Or visa versa. Kinda cool :)

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.

That was a $5,000+ coin at one time.

thefinn
    edited August 22, 2018 7:41PM

@thefinn said:
    That was a $5,000+ coin at one time.

Pretty close. I believe the highest Heritage sale was $4600. A forum member was the prescient seller.

• BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

Now it was definitely touched by a clown! ;):D

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!

Just dip it. The coin will be fine. Sudsey Ammonia should do the trick. Swish it around, then distilled water, then acetone. No rubbing.

And, no paper towels!

thefinn
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

That should come off easily with the recommendation from @Insider2 .... That will not tell us what it is, sure is interesting..... definitely a deposition of some type. Let us know what you do and the results.... Cheers, RickO

Damn! I feel like an idiot! That blue haze is from a chemical originally applied to the surface of gold to imitate skin. After time it turns blue. Before you dip it, make sure the surface is not screwed up under the patch of color.

edited August 23, 2018 9:37AM

@Insider2 said:
    Damn! I feel like an idiot! That blue haze is from a chemical originally applied to the surface of gold to imitate skin. After time it turns blue. Before you dip it, make sure the surface is not screwed up under the patch of color.

After a few hundred commems of the series and probably 20 of the Robinsons, I had never seen that type of haze. As you noted, probably takes time to appear.

An olive oil soak solved the problem.

What took care of the olive oil residue?

• Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,874 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's going to be one slippery coin. Hopefully a dip in acetone. We shall see. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall, coinsarefun, MichaelDixon, NickPatton, ProfLiz, Twobitcollector,Jesbroken

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file