Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Accidentally Cherrypicked an Indian Head Cent Proof

KyleKyle Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

I picked this up online a few weeks ago; the seller's photos of the coin weren't great, but I could tell there was some color hiding on the surfaces. Can't say I was expecting it to be a proof, so that was a nice surprise!

@FadeToBlack took some regular and axial photos of the coin for me.

Successful BST Transactions With: tonedase, streg2, airplanenut, coindeuce, vibr0nic, natetrook, Shrub68, golden, Lakesammman, drddm, Ilikecolor, CoinJunkie, wondercoin, lablover

Comments

• Options
    kazkaz Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭✭✭

great looking color . How can you tell it's a proof?

• Options
    robecrobec Posts: 6,608 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cool Indian. I don't think it's a proof though.

• Options

@kaz said:
    great looking color . How can you tell it's a proof?

The coin has mirrorlike fields, without regular cartwheel luster like you would expect to see on a mintstate business strike example.

Successful BST Transactions With: tonedase, streg2, airplanenut, coindeuce, vibr0nic, natetrook, Shrub68, golden, Lakesammman, drddm, Ilikecolor, CoinJunkie, wondercoin, lablover
  • Options

@FadeToBlack made a video of the coin showing off the fields.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aMspNccPgbM

• Options
    thefinnthefinn Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't see square rims like a proof should have. It may have been an early strike on proof dies put into business-strike production.

thefinn
  • Options
    thefinnthefinn Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭✭✭

Pictures of the edge and rim would help determine proof status. Definitely has mirrored fields. Worth sending to ANACS for $20 or so to get it settled.

thefinn
  • Options
    davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,865 ✭✭✭✭✭

I hope you are correct. I had a similar looking cent that came back UNC details - cleaned

• Options
    bolivarshagnastybolivarshagnasty Posts: 7,350 ✭✭✭✭✭

Feather details very weak for a proof coin.

• Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,305 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice looking toning.
    Can you tell if it has been cleaned though?

Given some of the "non-crispness", that's what worries me on it, thinking it may not be a proof.
    As mentioned, maybe ANACS, just to see, and then, if comfortable about it grading as a proof, and actually grading, PCGS.

I haven't pulled out my 1887 proof, to compare, but just something in the photos has me wondering.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    WinLoseWinWinLoseWin Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭✭✭

The mirror flash in the video looks like a Proof otherwise that would be a very strong PL for a business strike.

On PCGS Coinfacts, there are a few that look like they have similar strikes on the feathers with most being stonger.

Here are all the photos in the Brown category. Red and Red-Brown are in different links.

pcgscoinfacts.com/CoinImages.aspx?s=2348

"To Be Esteemed Be Useful" - 1792 Birch Cent --- "I personally think we developed language because of our deep need to complain." - Lily Tomlin

• Options
    RayboRaybo Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭✭✭

Maybe but not sure. :|

• Options
    RayboRaybo Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭✭✭

After looking I think it's a BS.

• Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,305 ✭✭✭✭✭

At the end of the day, I hope I, and others, are wrong, and it is a proof that you found.

Personally, if you, inhand, don't think it has been cleaned and that is the reason for the toning and the proof like surfaces, then I would find it worthwhile to try in a submission.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    cheezhedcheezhed Posts: 5,690 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice coin, interesting debate.

Many happy BST transactions
  • Options

@Bochiman said:
    At the end of the day, I hope I, and others, are wrong, and it is a proof that you found.

Personally, if you, inhand, don't think it has been cleaned and that is the reason for the toning and the proof like surfaces, then I would find it worthwhile to try in a submission.

Nothing jumped out screaming it had been cleaned, which is a good sign. The coin was submitted to PCGS at the ANA show; I will update this thread when the grade is posted. Proof or not, it's got nice color which is why I bought it!

Thanks for all the comments, everyone.

• Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,072 ✭✭✭✭✭

Beautiful coin but I don't think that it is a proof.

• Options
    CascadeChrisCascadeChris Posts: 2,519 ✭✭✭✭✭

I, too, have bought Indians as MS that came back PR... and one was from a former grader. They can be deceiving..

The more you VAM..
  • Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,150 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, I agree, an interesting coin with nice color, and great job with multiple photos and a video.

I also don't think it's a Proof, but we will see.
    Wondering since you stated this "The coin has mirrorlike fields, without regular cartwheel luster", if perhaps a very light layer of lacquer or something was applied long ago?

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    GluggoGluggo Posts: 3,566 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like your pictures

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,945 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not a proof. The gash on the cheek is a major negative. Probably an AU by wear.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    ironmanl63ironmanl63 Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭✭✭

In my experience coins that look like the one in the video come back as altered surfaces. I hope I am wrong and wish you luck with your submission.

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 20, 2018 5:50AM

MS/PR AU58 details or lower due to the obverse contact on the cheek and what looks like clear rub on the headdress feathers.

• Options
    davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,865 ✭✭✭✭✭

I realize you already sent it in, but if the edge looks like the fields, your chances go up.

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭✭✭

Still a nice find, no matter what the flaws. Nothing is perfect in life. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice IHC....I look forward to the TPG disposition.....Great pictures and video. Cheers, RickO

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file