Home U.S. Coin Forum

Nice Morgan but I don't believe that I have seen this newer PCGS holder.

CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited August 14, 2018 1:32PM in U.S. Coin Forum

Maybe the label color is just off.

It it premium worthy?

Comments

• BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,479 ✭✭✭✭✭

It might be lawsuit worthy for infringement. The font is off on the lettering.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BillJones said:
    It might be lawsuit worthy for infringement. The font is off on the lettering.

Wondering if this was an anniversary holder similar to the doily and OGH types. (Gen 1.0 on the reverse). Still looks odd.

• SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭

Is that a throwback classic holder they are doing now?

• LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes they are doing some Doilies to. And I think the green lables also.
    Might only be available to PCGS dealers I want all mine in the Secure Shield though.

• LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 14, 2018 2:32PM

But getting back to the OP's coin it's a new grade when the real gen 1 was around it would graded 65 at the most on a good day. Had to completly have clear fields for a 66 back then.
    In other words to me it is not a premium coin.

Good points, Bill. On the obverse alone (had some trouble loading the reverse) I would have had serious doubts that this was a legitimate holder.

• This is a current generation holder with a "retro" label. From the image it looks legit (the font is part of the retro label).

Source: I know a little about these things.

• jwittenjwitten Posts: 5,075 ✭✭✭✭✭

I love the retro holders. They offer 4 of them. They are just a small additional price, and make the coins stand out from billions of other boring morgans. Why wouldn't you want them? lol

• KyleKyle Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

As a few others have mentioned, it's one of the Generation Labels that PCGS started offering awhile back.

Successful BST Transactions With: tonedase, streg2, airplanenut, coindeuce, vibr0nic, natetrook, Shrub68, golden, Lakesammman, drddm, Ilikecolor, CoinJunkie, wondercoin, lablover

@jwitten said:
    I love the retro holders. They offer 4 of them. They are just a small additional price, and make the coins stand out from billions of other boring morgans. Why wouldn't you want them? lol

Because we are in an era of fake Chinese holders. I look at a lot of coins each week and was not sure of the authenticity of this version. The casual collector has no chance.

• fishteethfishteeth Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭✭✭

As counterfeit coins get better all of these crazy holders are going to cause problems. With so many types I no longer have any idea what a real pcgs holder is

• blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,437 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hell yes, because it's all about the holder, forget the coin. Just like them little tags on those beanie babies. lol Oh wait add a bean sticker or some fake toning too lulz

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

• Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Interesting, thanks for sharing !!! :)

Timbuk3

@blitzdude said:
    Hell yes, because it's all about the holder, forget the coin. Just like them little tags on those beanie babies. lol Oh wait add a bean sticker or some fake toning too lulz

If the holder is a counterfeit I have to crack out the coin before reselling it. My method is primitive as I snap the holder in two using two pair of linesmen pliers. Hate stepping on the plastic slivers for the next month and a half.

:#

• mt_mslamt_msla Posts: 815 ✭✭✭✭

I want a scratch-n-sniff holder. Strawberry.

Make it happen PCGS.

And maybe grape and lemon too. I draw the line at watermelon.

Insert witicism here. [ xxx ]

• ParadisefoundParadisefound Posts: 8,588 ✭✭✭✭✭

It looks simply clean <3

• Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

What a GREAT business idea! Now they need to add "Retro Samples" too. :)

• BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,408 ✭✭✭✭✭

Me thinks that PCGS should never have changed from the green OGH.

It's my personal favorite.

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

Is this "for real" or just a scary idiocy?

@topstuf said:
    Is this "for real" or just a scary idiocy?

More of an odyssey.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file