Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Can you think of more than one reason that coins are artificially toned.

Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited August 14, 2018 12:40PM in U.S. Coin Forum

One of our prominent CU members who works in a coin shop (I think) posted:

"There is ONLY ONE REASON WHY COINS ARE ARTIFICIALLY TONED and most of the members already know what it is."

Since the member did not bother to post what he thinks it is... Who knows the ONE reason? Is there more than one reason? What do you think?

Comments

• Options
    SiriusBlackSiriusBlack Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭✭✭

$$$$$$$ I suppose.

Collector of randomness. Photographer at PCGS. Lover of Harry Potter.

• Options
    ColonialcoinColonialcoin Posts: 625 ✭✭✭✭

I am sure there are a few reasons. My first choice would be to try to hide an old cleaning or repair job, second would be be that many people do enjoy toned coins. My big annoyance is when I see a fully toned modern silver eagle with all sorts of phony coloring. On top of it the dealer is selling it with a straight face! Like, seriously????

• Options
    CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

Coin consumers like bright stuff added to their coins. Turquoise and magenta are prized but green and gold are more cherished.

• Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,250 ✭✭✭✭✭

One reason could be people are in a hurry and don't to wait for toning to occur naturally.

• Options
    CameonutCameonut Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like the greed comment.

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

My digital cameo album 1950-64 Cameos - take a look!

• Options
    thisnamztakenthisnamztaken Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1. Greed/$
    2. Poor aesthetic taste
    I never thought that growing old would happen so fast.
    - Jim
  • Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,250 ✭✭✭✭✭

Because they can be.

• Options
    ElKevvoElKevvo Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭✭✭

Because there is always a sucker.

That is not to say that some AT coins are not really nice looking...they are. But in an odd way folks pay more for them than attractive NT coins it seems as the AT coins can have a lot more color. Sort of like paying more for a lab created diamond than a natural one.

K

ANA LM
  • Options
    GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,372 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 14, 2018 3:54PM

"Greed is Good!!!"
    45 seconds in
    Check out the young pre-tiger blood Charlie Sheen
    https://youtu.be/VVxYOQS6ggk

GrandAm :)
  • Options
    JeffersonFrogJeffersonFrog Posts: 829 ✭✭✭✭✭

Possible other reasons:
    1. Joy and interest, so YNs might become Ns. We call it cooking coins at our house, and it's never failed to delight (see pic below). 1%
    2. Experimentation/education/research. To see what kind of colors occur naturally at low heat vs. those created unnaturally at high heat. To see what colors are created by sulfur in cardboard vs. those created by an overnight dip in ethyl bromide (calm down, just made it up). 1%
    3. Boredom. 1%
    4. Accident (fell into the meatloaf, victim of laundry). 1%
    5. Hide/mask a coin's problem areas, not for resale, but because one just wants their coin to look better (if AT methods would remove carbon spots, I'd gladly admit to being a coin doctor). 1%
    6. Make it pretty - the same reasoning that drives people to clean coins. 1%

OP reason. 1 + 1 + 1+ 1+ 1+ 1+ x = 100

If we were all the same, the world would be an incredibly boring place.

Tommy

• Options
    logger7logger7 Posts: 8,078 ✭✭✭✭✭

Another reason: artistic expression? Like graffiti.

• Options
    morgandollar1878morgandollar1878 Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭✭✭

It used to be used predominantly to hide problems or imperfections. Now it also includes greed and the toning market.

Instagram: nomad_numismatics
  • Options
    logger7logger7 Posts: 8,078 ✭✭✭✭✭

Years ago I heard the coin doctors talking big about their methods of resurfacing coins....As a newbie, the late Ron Cooper sold me a raw Bust dollar that was doctored, I dipped it in water I think and the "make-up" fell off! I tried to reach him, no response so I put a stop payment on the check. With fraud, there is not defense. If an unscrupulous dealer is going to palm off on you a doctored pos they deserve the trouble they get.

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

OK, I'll bite. there are really three reasons:
    1.) money.
    2.) money.
    3.) money.

the first reply to the thread actually nailed it, that's how clearly understood the motive is. to go further, mannie gray beat me to it, everything that gets done by a Coin Doctor is about money. do you really think they take coins, work on them and then sell them at what they would have absent the work?? think about, the nature of "doctoring" a coin is to enhance value. maybe the work covers flaws, maybe it takes a nice, grade-able coin and makes it nicer, but the intent is always money.

Greed is one of the Seven Deadly Sins for no small reason, it motivates a lot of perversion and bad behavior.

• Options

The statement is false. There are multiple reasons. Until the last 10-15 years, AT was typically used to cover problems on a coin's surface. Today a large number of coins are ATed because of the large premiums associated with rainbow toned coins

so the statement is false but it's done because of the large premiums?? that's money, right.

• Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,293 ✭✭✭✭✭

To stop at just "money"/"greed"/"profit" is narrowminded.

I think Jeffersonfrog had a good list.

Obviously, for most on here, the thought would be on getting more money by making the coin look better than it is, or more unique than it should be. That's because so many on here buy/sell coins and that is something to watch for.

However, there IS true "accidental" toning....the toning when something is left out, put in something, etc, not meant to have been done and/or not meant to have any reaction.

There is also "purposeful-accidental" toning. When I was a wee lad, I had some neighbors who were helping me fill out a Lincoln cent album. The newer ones were shiny and bright. Some of the older ones weren't. They showed me, with lemon juice for some, and an eraser for others, how to get them shiny again. Were we selling any of them? Nope. No plans to either. Was this AT? In my mind now, I would say "yes". Back then, I didn't know what AT/NT or anything T was. I was about 8 years old.

Some people have AT'ed, because they wanted to see what would happen. Did they sell them? Maybe. Maybe not. Have to find and ask them, but we often here people saying to AT coins to learn what they look like so they will avoid that type of coins in the future with their purchases.

Now, all the above is talking about artificially toning coins, in general, as per the OP's question.

If that OP's question had said "coin doctoring" instead, which it did not, then, imho, "coin doctoring" is done with money as the vision at some point (minor point may be someone has a rarity with damage and they love the coin but not with the damage and they get it "repaired" but aren't trying to slab/sell...they just want to enjoy.....in that case, it may be done in the immediate sense without money as the factor)

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    edited August 14, 2018 9:16PM

@keets said:
    OK, I'll bite. there are really three reasons:
    1.) money.
    2.) money.
    3.) money.

the first reply to the thread actually nailed it, that's how clearly understood the motive is. to go further, mannie gray beat me to it, everything that gets done by a Coin Doctor is about money. do you really think they take coins, work on them and then sell them at what they would have absent the work?? think about, the nature of "doctoring" a coin is to enhance value. maybe the work covers flaws, maybe it takes a nice, grade-able coin and makes it nicer, but the intent is always money.

Greed is one of the Seven Deadly Sins for no small reason, it motivates a lot of perversion and bad behavior.

Thanks for joining the discussion. I had hoped to influence your opinion. Then you must still believe there is only one reason coins are toned - money. :(

Fortunately, knowledgeable members here have proved the truth of your statement: "Most of the members already know what it is." They have answered the question in a more positive way by giving a host of reasons.

PS If a person doctors a coin for his/her enjoyment in a personal collection, **it has nothing to do with MONEY."

PPS @Bochiman stated: To stop at just "money"/"greed"/"profit" is narrowminded. Actually, there is a more descriptive word for it than "narrowminded." o:)

• Options
    ParadisefoundParadisefound Posts: 8,588 ✭✭✭✭✭

Popular demand > artificially supplied :|

• Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,061 ✭✭✭✭✭

.> @keets said:

The statement is false. There are multiple reasons. Until the last 10-15 years, AT was typically used to cover problems on a coin's surface. Today a large number of coins are ATed because of the large premiums associated with rainbow toned coins

so the statement is false but it's done because of the large premiums?? that's money, right.

By that logic, any time anyone poses a question about this hobby asking "why?"" the answer will almost invariably come down to money.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GXE_n2q08Yw

• Options
    1Mike11Mike1 Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think the main reason is to attempt to make it attractive enough so someone would be willing to pay a premium for it.

Reason two is to make it attractive for their own taste and keep it as a cherished collectible.

Another reason could be so they can keep up with what's popular in the hobby at any given time.

Its especially noticeable the pendulum swings when well respected collectors create whole high dollar sets.

"May the silver waves that bear you heavenward be filled with love’s whisperings"

"A dog breaks your heart only one time and that is when they pass on". Unknown
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,415 ✭✭✭✭✭

@logger7 said:
    Years ago I heard the coin doctors talking big about their methods of resurfacing coins....As a newbie, the late Ron Cooper sold me a raw Bust dollar that was doctored, I dipped it in water I think and the "make-up" fell off! I tried to reach him, no response so I put a stop payment on the check. With fraud, there is not defense. If an unscrupulous dealer is going to palm off on you a doctored pos they deserve the trouble they get.

Great story. Did he try to contact you after you stopped payment on your check? :D

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    MikeInFLMikeInFL Posts: 10,188 ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 15, 2018 2:07AM

Reason #1 to 99: Money

Some of the copper guys do it to their scudzy coins to improve their appearance, so I'd make that # 100.

Collector of Large Cents, US Type, and modern pocket change.
  • Options
    edited August 15, 2018 4:13AM

sure, people AT coins all the time so they can put them in an album and admire them. sure, people AT coins all the time just to see how they look. believe what you want to as you look for the charcoal lighter and some matches.

people also sit around the campfire and sing Kumbuya. think what you want to and feel content in showing everyone how smart you are, that is your thing and it seems you hate me showing yourself to you. for a grown man who wants us to know how involved you are in the biz you strike me as really naïve and sensitive. take a break and stop worrying about what I think or post. I'm not that important so you shouldn't let me get under your skin like I guess I do.

dude, you started an entire second thread about a silly topic because you didn't agree with or like my answer in the first thread. do you understand how ridiculously pathetic that is?? do you??

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

If an AT coin is on the market, it was done for one reason - profit. Money is the driving force behind the coin business/hobby. The only exceptions being those who purely collect and do not sell coins. Some may tarnish a coin by various methods to learn the effects and recognize such coins - and if they are a pure collector, this is part of the search for knowledge. Once the knowledge is applied to a coin for sale, the motivation is money. Cheers, RickO

• Options

@keets said: "dude, you started an entire second thread about a SILLY TOPIC because you didn't agree with or like my answer in the first thread. do you understand how ridiculously pathetic that is?? do you??"

LOL, Please Chill "dude." I argue with everyone here who posts something about coins that I disagree with. It has often modified or changed my opinion.

There are many reasons coins are toned. Yes, money is a very simplistic answer that would get agreeable howls from me and the other clowns in a grading class. However, when the fun is over, It is important that both collectors and dealers know all the reasons [SILLY TOPIC?? :( ] a coin is toned (SOME ARE NATURAL) so they will be looking past the pretty colors. I did not feel you took this or the other thread as a serious matter. Nevertheless, you were 100% correct that other members would know the answers. :)

PS Dude, I am not a know-it-all. Otherwise, I would not bother reading/posting on this site or any other!

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,686 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Kkathyl said:
    1. To cover flaws
    2. Provide eye appeal based on market demand
    3. Greed

100% Agree

• Options

@ricko said: "If an AT coin is on the market, it was done for one reason - profit. Money is the driving force behind the coin business/hobby."

Slight clarification: One other reason an AT coin may be on the market is the person selling it has no clue that it is AT. In fact, it may be one of those "market acceptable" AT coins.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Insider2 .... True, it could be ignorance, but the sale is hoping for profit due to the tarnish. And the term 'market acceptable' is nothing more than a marketing hype... like used cars are 'pre-owned'. If any AT coin is deemed 'market acceptable', then, by default, they all should be. Really, it is the TPG saying they cannot determine if it is AT or NT. Taking it further, the true meaning of AT is 'accelerated' tarnish... since tarnish is natural to begin with. So introducing coins to envelopes, sunlight, Taco Bell napkins - though seemingly accepted, is all 'accelerated' or, in fact, artificial since it was done with 'intent'...the real motivation. Cheers, RickO

• Options

I'm B)>:) trying really hard to argue with you Ricko. LOL.

1. " Really, it [market acceptable] is the TPG saying they cannot determine if it is AT or NT."

What is wrong with that? None of them know the history of the coin. There are different patterns of "tarnish." Many of these can be duplicated (accelerated) rather quickly.

Indisputable fact: No one is an all seeing God. So, IMHO, the time it took to "tarnish" a coin MAKES NO DIFFERENCE! As long as the pattern and color is possible. As for the term "market acceptable," although (to most folks) it implies something may not be certain about the "tarnish," IT INCLUDES ALL tarnish that passes as genuine no matter how, when, where, what, was involved to produce it. Easy!

• Options
    edited August 15, 2018 10:01AM

Now, the corollary to this thread....

What motivates people to dip coins?

And more to the point of this response: Is that motivation any different from those who AT coins?

I would argue that the two actions are motivated by the same thing and the only real difference is addition vs subtraction.

• Options
    edited August 15, 2018 10:24AM

@MikeInFL said:

And more to the point of this response: Is that motivation any different from those who AT coins?

I would argue that the two actions are motivated by the same thing and the only real difference is addition vs subtraction.

@MikeInFL . Please delete your post from this discussion I started. I think YOUR Question is an excellent topic that will stand on its own and generate lots of good info! Thanks.

• Options
    KkathylKkathyl Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks @Bochiman I put out 3 reasons while everyone else says just one, yet you labeled me "Narrow" minded. Perhaps I was just adding to the thread. Hmmm

Best place to buy !
    Bronze Associate member

• Options
    NysotoNysoto Posts: 3,769 ✭✭✭✭✭

A couple of my own experiences - I left an 1803 T-3 half dollar in my pocket in an airtite holder, it went through the wash and came out bright. Stuck it on top of the refrigerator for a couple of months - looks like envelope toning. Must be from my vegan daughter cooking her onions.

Another time I tried to intentionally crack a Frankie half to prove a point about annealing errors and cracked planchets - heated it red hot close to melt, quenched it in ice water without pickle acid, took a few tries but finally cracked. It came out artificially toned deep gray and artificially cracked!

Robert Scot: Engraving Liberty - biography of US Mint's first chief engraver
  • Options

I too have done a lot of different things to metal objects. Great learning experience.

PS Wonderful Book!

• Options
    NysotoNysoto Posts: 3,769 ✭✭✭✭✭

PS Wonderful Book!

Thanks! I have been planning on responding to your other book thread later today.

Robert Scot: Engraving Liberty - biography of US Mint's first chief engraver
  • Options

@Insider2 said:

@MikeInFL said:

@MikeInFL . Please delete your post from this discussion I started. I think YOUR Question is an excellent topic that will stand on its own and generate lots of good info! Thanks.

Only if you promise not to call me pathetic if I do. ;)

• Options
    edited August 15, 2018 12:28PM

@MikeInFL said:

@Insider2 said:

@MikeInFL said:

Only if you promise not to call me pathetic if I do. ;)

That is a word I try to never use on people.

I'm going to post all the reasons brought up in this thread to see if we can come up with more.

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,481 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 15, 2018 1:47PM
    1. Hide hairlines and other signs of cleaning.
    2. Make a dipped coin look original since "original" is so "in" these days.
    3. Hide the fact that the piece is a counterfeit. The Chinese have a way to make their steel and whatever coins resemble circulated silver or copper.
    4. Give it "monster toning" in an effort snare a collector who totally enamored bright colors and willing to pay an off the charts price.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    1. Stop the degradation of a copper coin, for profit and/or preservation.
  • Options
    edited August 15, 2018 4:30PM

Thanks for the info! Thankfully "lighten" refers to removing metal (not the infinitesimal amount some nit will associate with dipping) and not to a quick "dip" to "lighten" the surface.

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,481 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MikeInFL said:
    5. Stop the degradation of a copper coin, for profit and/or preservation.

This coin was once the finest known 1806, Small 6, Stems half cent. A stupid former owner stripped it. After that it was re-colored, which made it both more acceptable and preserved it. Cleaned copper is vulnerable to corrosion. Not all work by coin doctors is bad.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options

"Cleaned copper is vulnerable to corrosion. Not all work by coin doctors is bad."

I agree, Bill, and that's precisely why I said "and/or" in my response.

• Options
    WoodenJeffersonWoodenJefferson Posts: 6,491 ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 17, 2018 8:05AM

Chat Board Lingo

"Keep your malarkey filter in good operating order" -Walter Breen
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,293 ✭✭✭✭✭

1) I hadn't even seen your reply when I posted (I was responding to the top couple of posts.
    2) I said "money/greed/profit". Essentially, all the same thing in this context. You posted 2, or your 3, items that aren't covered by those:
    1.To cover flaws
    2.Provide eye appeal based on market demand
    3.Greed

Not sure how you got to the point thinking I called you narrowminded, as I didn't.

@Kkathyl said:
    Thanks @Bochiman I put out 3 reasons while everyone else says just one, yet you labeled me "Narrow" minded. Perhaps I was just adding to the thread. Hmmm

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file